cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WomanInTransit
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,439
Message 1 of 38

Moto Z2 Play - Screen goes black while watching online videos???

I bought my Moto Z2 Play in January brand new from a Verizon store. It's worked well up until recently. About two weeks ago, I was on Facebook scrolling through my news feed and a video someone posted started playing automatically. After a few seconds of playing, the screen went black but I could still hear the audio. I waited to see if it would turn back on but I ended up having to hold down the power button to restart the phone.

Since this first occurrence, the issue has happened at least once a day for the last two weeks. I've searched forums for a solution but aside from a factory reset, I haven't found anything that seems to identify or fix this issue. The phone is in a protective case, it has not been dropped or damaged to my knowledge.

It has happened with videos on Facebook, Youtube, and other websites. It doesn't happen every time I watch a video. Does not happen when I play videos recorded on the phone myself. It has also happened a few times when I've been on a call using speakerphone.

I initiated a chat session with support on here yesterday. The representative didn't seem to have a clue what he was talking about. First he said the videos I was watching were too hi-definition for my phone to handle. That is ridiculous. Then he said the cause was using my phone while it's plugged into a charger. I do occasionally use my phone while charging but in researching this claim online it seems to be a common cell phone myth.

I'm wondering if the glitch lies in the Android OS itself or if it's a factory defect. I've seen posts suggesting proximity sensors could be the issue, but I don't know how to even test that theory. Any suggestions would be appreciated! If you've experienced something similar, please share!

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 2,405
Message 2 of 38

Re: Moto Z2 Play - Screen goes black while watching online videos???

Hi WomanInTransit,

I'm sorry to know about this. Thanks for the information. If I get it correctly, the issue didn't happen all the time right? First, I suggest we update all the apps on Playstore, also please check if you have any system updates (Settings > About Phone > System/Software Update). Let me know how it goes thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

WomanInTransit
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,401
Message 3 of 38

This does not happen all the time, but at least once every day. All apps are up to date. No system updates.

Running Android version: 7.1.1

Current version: NDSS26. 118-23-19-3

Security patch level: February 1, 2018

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 2,294
Message 4 of 38

Hi WomanInTransit,

Sorry for the late reply. Just to follow up, are you still having an issue with your phone? Can you please test youtube on safemode?

To Enable Safe Mode

1. Press and hold the Power button until Power off comes up on the screen.

2. Touch and HOLD Power off on the screen until reboot to safe mode appears.

3. Touch OK when Reboot to safe mode appears

4. Phone will reboot and Safe Mode will appear in bottom left corner

5. If the issue does not remain in safe mode, this indicates a third party application installed from the Play Store is causing the problem.

6. Restart the device to get out of safe mode and uninstall any recently installed applications.

*** Begin by looking for specific application types such as launchers, task killers or anti-virus apps.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

ZeusVerdugo
What's DOS?
Views: 1,737
Message 5 of 38

Hi, Lenovo Team

Please kindly note that after reviewing this post from a fellow user, I noticed that I am going over the same situation.

I tried to activate this so called "Safe Mode" but unfortunately had no luck in doing so.

I've been a Motorola user since the first Moto G came out and have been faithful to you guys since then.

It's very frustrating because I was very excited about this phone and had not one problem with it until now.

Can you guys help me to see what the problem is? Because I just bought the device in December of 2017 and I like keeping my phones for at least 2 years.

The phone turns off out of nowhere. While I'm watching videos online. The phone vibrates when I try to use the fingerprint sensor but the screen itself does not respond and is completely blacked out.

I have to restart it and this has been an ongoing thing for at least 2 days now. It all began when I tried to make a phone call through speaker phone...

I hope I get a response from you guys soon. Will be here for any further comments and/or questions. Thanks!

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 1,710
Message 6 of 38

Hi ZeusVerdugo,

Thanks for posting on this thread. I'd like to confirm, are you only having this issue with a specific app? How about watching videos you recorded through the default camera app?

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

WomanInTransit
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,706
Message 7 of 38

Months later and I am still having the same issue. I gave up looking for a solution and have just learned to live with it. Things I've noticed in the last few months:

It is not specific to any one app. It has happened while watching videos in YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Netflix, etc. It also still happens if I try to do a call using speakerphone.

It tends to happen more when the battery is at less than 50%.

It does not seem to happen if the battery is low but I am watching video with the phone plugged into the charger.

It does not seem to happen if a video is playing on the phone but the sound is turned all the way down.

This last thing has me wondering if it's some kind of short connected with the speakers.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 1,686
Message 8 of 38

Hi WomanInTransit,

Thanks for confirming. I wonder if I can check something with your apps. Could you please update your profile with current phone, carrier and serial number -- this will help me investigate. Please make sure that the options under Settings > Motorola Privacy are on as well, and let me know (just reply here) if it's okay for me to look at your apps to see if they are a source of problems.

Need help updating your profile? See here. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

dcdeiv
What's DOS?
Views: 1,372
Message 9 of 38

Same here!

It happens even when the phone rings or while listening to music from Google play music and that's really annoying! A friend of mine has the same model and his phone just works flawlessly!

I switched from a Moto X style to a Moto z2 play and all the issues came with the latest.

I also tried to call the Motorola support and they told me to reset the battery, but I cannot do it every day since I use this phone for working too and I must be available 24h.

This is really sad, and I am a bit angry that I've spend 500€ for this phone, and the Motorola support seems like it can't do anything.

ZeusVerdugo
What's DOS?
Views: 1,371
Message 10 of 38

The device shuts its display off in any app that reproduces visual media. They're apps such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Google Photos, etc. It's very annoying! After reviewing the most updated comments from members of the community, it also happens to me when my battery is around 50% or lower. It's continuously been happening after I posted my comment and I've literally just learned to live with it, which should absolutely not be the case, considering the price point that this device is in. Help towards the situation to find a solution would very much be appreciated. Thanks!

Top Kudoed Authors