Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Steve12345
Paper Tape
Views: 31,243
Message 1 of 53

Moto Z2 Play cannot cast (without Chromecast :/)

Moto Z2 Play, new unlocked.  Love it...except...cannot screen cast or Screen Mirror, or anything (except Chromcast). 

Cast - No nearby devices were found. 

Called Motorola:  "Only works with Chromecast"

me:  What happed to basic screen mirroring?

Motorola:  "Only works with Chromecast"

me:  Why is that?  Why remove basic functions from previous devices?

Motorola:  Google took it away from Android, we are "working hard to add it" back.

(I don't want to switch everything over to Chromecast - what happened to basic screen mirroring, or HDMI out, or really ANYTHING except "only Chromecast".)  You want to cast to ALL types, including Chromecast = great!  Only Chromecast = lame.

According to a multitude of online articles this "feature" has been blocked in the android code, and can be unlocked by changing/adding one word in one line of code.  But to do this ourselves we need to invest lots of time to become expert enough to do this ourselves - possibly even root the phone - to fix this problem.  Lame.

So, Moto, will you fix this quickly?  Or to I need to go back to my Moto X Pure until I find another phone that will screen cast without needing to buy/configure/troubleshoot a Chromecast dongle for EVERY device I want to cast to?

Please say you'll fix soon, or if you won't please be honest about how you won't.  Thanks!

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 30,852
Message 2 of 53

Re: Moto Z2 Play cannot cast (without Chromecast :/)

@Steve12345 wrote:

Moto Z2 Play, new unlocked.  Love it...except...cannot screen cast or Screen Mirror, or anything (except Chromcast). 

Cast - No nearby devices were found. 

Called Motorola:  "Only works with Chromecast"

me:  What happed to basic screen mirroring?

Motorola:  "Only works with Chromecast"

me:  Why is that?  Why remove basic functions from previous devices?

Motorola:  Google took it away from Android, we are "working hard to add it" back.

(I don't want to switch everything over to Chromecast - what happened to basic screen mirroring, or HDMI out, or really ANYTHING except "only Chromecast".)  You want to cast to ALL types, including Chromecast = great!  Only Chromecast = lame.

According to a multitude of online articles this "feature" has been blocked in the android code, and can be unlocked by changing/adding one word in one line of code.  But to do this ourselves we need to invest lots of time to become expert enough to do this ourselves - possibly even root the phone - to fix this problem.  Lame.

So, Moto, will you fix this quickly?  Or to I need to go back to my Moto X Pure until I find another phone that will screen cast without needing to buy/configure/troubleshoot a Chromecast dongle for EVERY device I want to cast to?

Please say you'll fix soon, or if you won't please be honest about how you won't.  Thanks!

Hi Steve12345,

Casting on the Moto Z2 Play only works with Chromecast. We'll definitely pass your feedback along to our product team.

Regards,

JM

Motorola Support

Steve12345
Paper Tape
Views: 30,844
Message 3 of 53

Thanks JM,

I appreciate the reply, and I understand that the Z2 can ONLY cast via Chromecast - thats kinda the reason I'm unhappy with this Z2Play.  I'm still trying to figure out WHY this long-standing feature has been disabled/hijacked/removed, except for "Chromecast".   ALL my previous Motorola devices would video output, EASILY.

2010 Droid X - HDMI out port

2011 Droid Razr - HDMI out port

2012 Droid Razr HD - HDMI out port

2013 Droid Maxx - Wireless display, multiple formats

2015 Moto X Play - Wireless display, multiple formats (seemed like all formats)

2017 Moto Z2 - nope, "only Chromecast"  must buy more stuff to keep standard feature working, **bleep**!?

Am I the only one who sees this as a step backwards??

The part that gets me is that despite reading SO many reviews that compare so many irrelevant details, nobody bothered to point out this glaring flaw of screen casting being hijacked.  Maybe the general population doesn't enjoy casting thier pics and videos onto the big screen to share with others.  Maybe nobody uses screen cast as back-up entertainment when the cable or wifi goes down.  Maybe nobody cares except me.  I want to go buy/configure/troubleshoot/carry around 6 Chromecast dongles like I want a hole in the head.

Why not make the USB-C port support video out?  Moto getting a cut of new Chromecast sales?  Doubtful.

Help us understand.  This had to be a calculated decision by Moto/Lenovo to go backwards.   My question is how was this rationalized?    What's the purpose/benefit?   Can anyone explain this to me and the rest of the screen casting world? 

Why "dumb down" the "smartphone"??

Why??

PS why not fix the line of code blocking it so I don't have to root my phone to do same?  WHY???

Sadly nobody seems to have the answer, or they won't share it, or both.

Add comment below if you miss proper screen casting!

Lcb1
What's DOS?
Views: 30,296
Message 4 of 53

We just purchased Z2 play phones.  Much to our dismay, we cannot cast to our TV.  This will not work for us.  We camp often and do not have access to WiFi.  Shame on you for disabling casting.  The phones are going back tomorrow.  

Lcb1
What's DOS?
Views: 30,311
Message 5 of 53

Seriously?!?!?  We just brought 2 Z2 play phones home.  Tried to screen cast and it won't work. We don't have wifi.  We also go camping so Chromecast won't work for us.  Shame on you for disabling the ability to cast.  The phones are going back tomorrow.  Such a waste.  

Fallerbuncher
Paper Tape
Views: 29,320
Message 6 of 53

The MotoZ2 Force won't mirror cast. Why? Because 1) they want to sell the projector mod, and 2) they were bullied or paid/discounted into an agreement to only connect with Chromecast.
I just bought two MotoZ2 phones and I am thinking about taking them back.
titaniumtux
Fanfold Paper
Views: 28,198
Message 7 of 53

Miracasting your home screen is overrated IMO, and often it yields poor video playback quality. The Miracast feature can be done through a multimedia app including YouTube. If you absolutely want to screencast your home screen onto a TV on Moto Z2 Play, you'd have to unlock the bootloader, then modify a file hidden in the root directory of the device via shell command, then reboot. Very risky, you could brick the device, but check it out on XDA Dev.

For camping hacks, there's the Moto Mod Pico Projector. It's been selling at Verizon at a killer discount. If you don't have access to that deal or the Moto Mod is beyond your budget, there are affordable hacks for $10 USD, you can get a box with a lens that will essentially project your smartphone screen (any smartphone) on a wall or ceiling. Not as good quality as the Moto Mod Pico Projector, but certainly cheaper than the Google Chromecast, doesn't require wifi (Miracast requires wifi BTW), and it'll get the job done.

Google dropped Miracast support from the home screen on the Pixel, and Lenovo followed the same trend. Although it's a cool feature to have and those who enjoyed it on previous phones or who flash custom ROM's get to enjoy it, it's overrated since you'll get better video playback quality on the TV if you screencast the video from within the video playing app, rather than from the home screen / device settings.

Happy casting!

Woodjosh
What's DOS?
Views: 27,916
Message 8 of 53

Man, I thought I was just doing something. Moto sent me a z2play as a replacement for my x one under warranty. I should have turned it down. I lost casting on 4 of my devices.  Having to use an old Android tablet to cast now. Please fix this now. Not later. 

I'd rather not have to return this device for something so petty.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 27,798
Message 9 of 53

@Woodjosh wrote:

Man, I thought I was just doing something. Moto sent me a z2play as a replacement for my x one under warranty. I should have turned it down. I lost casting on 4 of my devices.  Having to use an old Android tablet to cast now. Please fix this now. Not later. 

I'd rather not have to return this device for something so petty.

No one here can say what Motorola may or may not do or when, but Google removed/disabled casting options other then chromecast  from stock android. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
BrianMaiden
What's DOS?
Views: 27,247
Message 10 of 53

I support this request to return to simple casting without needing Chromecast. Looks like I will have to ditch my z2play in favour of a.samsung phone to get it to work with my Samsung TV. This is sharp practice by google and abuse of the ios/Android duopoly position. Where are the EU legal boffins when u need them?

Top Kudoed Authors