cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KeithO
What's DOS?
Views: 2,330
Message 11 of 53

Re: Moto Z2 Play cannot cast (without Chromecast :/)

It's hard to believe my Moto Z2 won't cast. I didn't figure it out untill after it was past the date to return the phone. The new system update was installed on 1/4/2017. Has a option for cast but won't. I was excited thinking they fixed the problem. Never thought about checking to see if I could cast this phone when I bought it but then didn't think I needed to check and see if Motorola went backwards in technology.

lfjewett
What's DOS?
Views: 2,165
Message 12 of 53

Just a quick note to also complain.  I bought 2 phones over Christmas and after find out I couldn't cast to our Roku or TV's I would have returned them both if they had not been outside their return time.  I don't have a chromecast device and TBH with the network problems they have been causing I'm not sure I want one.  This is a huge dissapointment.

titaniumtux
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,165
Message 13 of 53

Try screen casting from within the app to the Roku. Inside the YouTube app or whichever app you wish to screen cast, there's a screen casting button. It'll support miracast.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 2,158
Message 14 of 53

@lfjewett wrote:

Just a quick note to also complain.  I bought 2 phones over Christmas and after find out I couldn't cast to our Roku or TV's I would have returned them both if they had not been outside their return time.  I don't have a chromecast device and TBH with the network problems they have been causing I'm not sure I want one.  This is a huge dissapointment.

Most sales made over Christmas season have an extended return period. Where did you purchase? 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
SuperTechie
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,886
Message 15 of 53

• I'm very disappointed that my Moto Z does not support the standard.

Screen mirroring is supported by the Wi-Fi Alliance Miracast standard across any devices that want to utilize it. Many devices support it (Microsoft, Roku, Amazon), and it works well in uncongested environments like most homes.

I very much urge the Moto Z team to embrace this wonderful technology and add it!

Update: why is this message getting posted what the subject of "what is Dos?" 

endimon
SCSI Port
Views: 1,882
Message 16 of 53

So? Is that some kind of excuse? All Samsung devices can cast for example, from low budget over midrange and flagship devices, what are u talking about, lame excuses from motorola, lenovo, you or whatever, makes no sense!

endimon
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 1,866
Message 17 of 53

@endimonwrote:

So? Is that some kind of excuse? All Samsung devices can cast for example, from low budget over midrange and flagship devices, what are u talking about, lame excuses from motorola, lenovo, you or whatever, makes no sense!

No excuses were made. Google removed casting from android a few versions ago, and the only Google included option is Chromecast. Samsung adds casting support for other types of receiving devices and protocols. Motorola sticks with stock android as provided by Google.. Google Nexus and Pixel only support casting to Chromecast as well, as do other brands that use stock android. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
endimon
SCSI Port
Views: 1,860
Message 18 of 53

yes it is, because we are talking about options like some unique moto options available only on moto devices... and if we are on pure, stock android, where is Oreo on my device, i'm running some nougat os from Q3 of 2016... 

endimon
ChandomRance
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,855
Message 19 of 53

Yes, this is the one reason I will not be getting another Motorola. I've been letting my friends know, too, and they've been steering clear.
My TV might as well be half as valuable as it used to be. So I guess I'll be paying the extra buck and going back to Samsung once I upgrade.
This really feels like an unnecessary and obvious middle finger pointed right at the consumer, and it's disappointing. It doesn't matter to me if development was simply following some default Google standard; what's missing is missing, and glaringly so. It's a shame too, since otherwise the Z2 Play seems a fairly decent phone.

heap1
Punch Card
Views: 1,822
Message 20 of 53

Chromecast works so much better than Miracast because instead of just mirroring from your phone to your TV it actually transfers the video entirely to your TV, similar to air play from Apple. This way you are able to do other things on your phone while you're watching TV. You can even turn off your phone if you wanted to.  Chromecast also has the capability to mirror your phone with apps that don't support casting directly. Best of all it only costs $35 ($25 on sale).

Top Kudoed Authors