cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 1,532
Message 21 of 53

Re: Moto Z2 Play cannot cast (without Chromecast :/)

@SuperTechiewrote:
  • I'm very disappointed that my Moto Z does not support the standard.

Screen mirroring is supported by the Wi-Fi Alliance Miracast standard across any devices that want to utilize it. Many devices support it (Microsoft, Roku, Amazon), and it works well in uncongested environments like most homes.

I very much urge the Moto Z team to embrace this wonderful technology and add it!

Update: why is this message getting posted what the subject of "what is Dos?" 

You should direct your disapointment at google. Google nexus and pixel don't support Miracast (there are other brands that don't either). Google has made this decisision. If google enables this "wonderful technology" then you will see it Motorola, Nexus, and Pixel phones and others. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
AndrewSmile
Paper Tape
Views: 1,471
Message 22 of 53

Having read the thread, I got a strong impression that the decision to remove the Cast feature was aimed at stimulating Chromecast and Projector mods sales. 

I can add one more reason why I think it has been a poor decision by Google (and Motorola - to support it).

I am using my phone in corporate environment where I and my colleagues benefit greatly from using wireless video connections with existing displays and office devices - most on Miracast, either built-in or added e.g. Microsoft WDA.

The decision to exclude Cast functionality kills these use cases and simply excludes  Z2 and other upcoming models from our wishlist, and yes, Pixel is not there as well. There's no way we would suddenly go for Chromecasts or buy projector mods to run presentations (cool, but stupid, when you have better equipment you already invested in).

Being a corporate Lenovo client I am very disappointed at such a short-sighted and limiting approach, especially knowing it's just about a few lines of code to turn the feature back on.

endimon
SCSI Port
Views: 1,469
Message 23 of 53

"Being a corporate Lenovo client I am very disappointed at such a short-sighted and limiting approach, especially knowing it's just about a few lines of code to turn the feature back on."

and i'm crazy, rude and sick in need for medicine when pin pointing that... 

endimon
Nick911
Paper Tape
Views: 1,365
Message 24 of 53

Seriously was able to cast from my Moto G4 plus now got Z2 play and I shocked like WHAT!!

endimon
SCSI Port
Views: 1,363
Message 25 of 53

u can always buy samsung and others who don't hide and cry behind poor google decisions and give options to the customers.. sounds like i've bought google's phone - noto lenovorola's... 

endimon
Steve12345
Paper Tape
Views: 1,343
Message 26 of 53

As the original poster, I've been following this thread closely over the months.  Its had over 10,000 views, so obviously I’m not alone in my desire for simple screen casting.

Its finally dawned on me.  Motorola is basically dead – it has been dying a slow death for years.  Prove me wrong Lenovo, I dare you!

1. Partly Google is to blame:

For taking basic screen casting out of Android.   An update that downgrades…wt#f Google?   Face it, Chromecast is like Google+...nobody wants it.  Its not like Google doesn’t have a hundred OTHER ways to data mine our info and monetize it.  They need to spy on our TV viewing habits as well (via chromecast).  Are they that desperate?

2.  And I'm still miffed at Motorola (and Lenovo)

For not fixing it (like Samsung has).  Motorola screen cast has been “broken” for well over 6-9 months on the Moto Z2 -- It doesn't take that long to "fix".  So that means Moto isn't working on it AT ALL, neither is ... Lenov-orola.  This is symptomatic of Lenovo's apathy towards the Motorola brand and moto consumers.

The Motorola I fell in love with would NEVER have permitted such a downgrade!  If they don’t fix it soon, I’ll vote with my feet/wallet.  I will really miss contextual functions:   Twist for camera, Chop-chop for flashlight - I use those multiple times a day!   My entire extended family has Motorola devices, because they all come to me for tech support.  Basically I tell them, "fine, but get one like mine if you want me to help".  And that has meant Motorola for the last 10 years. 

Lets face it, motorola hasn't put out much of a flagship in years.  More of a 2nd tier "flagship alternative".  So moving to a galaxy S or Note device will be quite an upgrade in many ways for us.  

3.  Samsung just keeps looking better and better (assuming they keep screen casting). 

Lenov-orola, if you’re listening, you’ve got maybe 9 months until I upgrade.  Fix screen casting by then or my entire group will leave you, probably for Samsung.

Folks, if you want screen casting back on your Motorola device, let them know.

San117
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,179
Message 27 of 53

For those who want Miracast on Moto z2 force/play.

It's impossible as per motorala.There will never be an update.Its stock Android phone.So quit buying this thing if you want miracast.

endimon
SCSI Port
Views: 1,174
Message 28 of 53

@San117 wrote:

For those who want Miracast on Moto z2 force/play.

It's impossible as per motorala.There will never be an update.Its stock Android phone.So quit buying this thing if you want miracast.

hahahaahaha... and thank you buddy

endimon
amit9891
What's DOS?
Views: 1,043
Message 29 of 53

Guys, Please enable the CAST feature through Software Update. When can we expect it?

amit9891
What's DOS?
Views: 1,043
Message 30 of 53

Please enable the CAST feature through Software Update. When can we expect it?
Top Kudoed Authors