Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Richardn1
Paper Tape
Views: 2,032
Message 1 of 5

Moto Z2 Play- poor performance of proximity sensor for Moto display

I just got a new Z2 play unlocked version (XT1710-01)  2 days ago. So far I am very pleased. Impressive battery performance! I like this phone a lot compared to the original z I used previous. The only issue I have at the moment is the performance of the proximity sensor for Moto display. I have to put my hand really close near the camera to get it to wake the Moto display. My success rate is about 1 out of 10 times sometimes less. I tried to test it on my wife's phone since she has a Z2 play as well for several months now. It also doesn't perform well. So it's just more my phone only. I still have my original Z and it works 100 percent of the time.

My guess is that the original Z has infrared blasters. I dont see them on the Z2. And I'm testing it in well lit conditions too.

Anyone experiencing the same thing with theor Z2 play?

Lenovo Employee rbkirk
Lenovo Employee
Views: 1,963
Message 2 of 5

Re: Moto Z2 Play- poor performance of proximity sensor for Moto display

Mine works great. Note there is a "reset" time between detection scans of a few seconds. Wait about 5 real slow count seconds minimum between detection testing rounds.

Detection range seems to be approximately less than 10 inches, and that assumes the sensors are not pointed straight up at bright ceiling lights. Works REALLY well in the dark...

onsted
Token Ring
Views: 1,953
Message 3 of 5

@rbkirkwrote:

... Note there is a "reset" time between detection scans of a few seconds. Wait about 5 real slow count seconds minimum between detection testing rounds.

Think I fall on the OP's side here ... maybe the sensitivity could be boosted a bit or the "reset" timer shortened a bit, but the casual "wave" I'm used to on my previous Moto models just feels less reliable than before.  It's a niggling annoyance, but it'd be nice to see a small adjustment when they get to us with the next update ...

Richardn1
Paper Tape
Views: 1,898
Message 4 of 5

I did notice it worked a little better in the dark, but still not great. My motion needs to be slowed down, sometimes hovering my hand over the phone. I did notice it has issues in a well lit room and it is faced to the ceiling. A funny thing I tried was moving my head over the phone as if to block the light and that actually made it work a lot better. Maybe 80% of the time. I wonder if the sensors can't pick up my hand because it is backlit. Anyway, a way to adjust sensitivity and the reset time would be fantastic.

It's not a critical issue. But it is a beloved feature that worked perfectly on my old z, and now it is no longer reliable under normal circumstances. Because I don't really use my phone while my room is dark because I'm sleeping and I can't be moving my head over the phone just so i can wave my hand over it everytime.

dodgerfan1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 179
Message 5 of 5

I have the proximity sensor problem as well: all calls go to dark screen and if I pull the phone away from my face to change a setting or try to hang up, the screen remains dark and I cannot control the call.  Sometimes, if I press on the upper right hand corner during a call, the screen will wake up and I can momentarily touch the screen to change a setting/control/keypad.

I tried running the Device Help app > Device Diagnosis > Hardware Test > Proximity Sensor.  It works reliably when I am in Safe Mode.  If I place a phone call in Safe Mode, the screen wakes up when I pull it away from my face.

This would seem to suggest that the problem is in software and that a bug fix should be available.

This is, first and foremost, a phone.  The basic phone functions should work reliably.  Please let us know when a bug fix can be made for this software problem even though it has the look and feel of a hardware/sensor problem.  Thanks.

And We're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Top Kudoed Authors