Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 4,848
Message 31 of 60

Re: Moto Z2 Play proximity sensor

Hi Mrbuffles,

Try calibrating the proximity sensor. Place phone call and press the power key 2 times to calibrate it. Also, test the proximity sensor on the Device Help app > Fix > Hardware Test > Proximity Sensor. Let me know how it goes. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Mrbuffles
Paper Tape
Views: 4,842
Message 32 of 60

I calibrated the proximity sensor. It seems to work as it should. Unfortunately, I can't test the sensor because my device help app doesn't have a fix button so there's now way to proceed. But thanks for trying.

I'll need to wait until the intermittent issue happens again to know if the recalibration worked.

YcoNko
What's DOS?
Views: 4,827
Message 33 of 60

For me work only push Sensor (Near yellow/red dots), when i push display and holding, it works.

Mrbuffles
Paper Tape
Views: 4,823
Message 34 of 60

I don't see yellow red dots..?

YcoNko
What's DOS?
Views: 4,819
Message 35 of 60

I mean front flash ( left top corner )

PTR_ICE
What's DOS?
Views: 4,642
Message 36 of 60

I have this same issue.

But, this is actually not an issue, it is apparently BY DESIGN.

After reading through this thread I ran the Proxmity Sensor test on my Moto Help app.

Even with a screen protector on, my sensor tested perfectly.

So, I went through the Problems During Call troubleshooter and here is the first note:

"Your screen goes dark to avoid accidental touches. To wake it up, move it away from your face or press the Power button."

So, I made a call (979-822-6712 is the local time and temp number) and tested it. Lay the phone down, dial the number, do not use speaker, when the connect is made move your hand over the top of the screen. If your proximity sensor is working you will see the screen come on and off as you move your hand.

I'm running Android 8.0.0 on a Moto Z2 force (w/screen protector on).

Mrbuffles
Paper Tape
Views: 4,607
Message 37 of 60

So, I got the black screen again. Just a few minutes ago, my phone rang and when I went to answer, the screen went black and I could not do anything until the other person ended the call. I had the latest update yesterday, so that didn't help. I'm curious about the Device Help App. Is there another pathway to get to the hardware test? My Device help app doesn't have (fix) in any of the menus, icons etc.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 4,586
Message 38 of 60

Hi Mrbuffles,

Are you using the Moto Help app? If so, kindly open the app > Hardware Test > Proximity Sensor. Also, during a phone call, press the power button 2 times to test the proximity sensor. Let me know if it works fine. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Mrbuffles
Paper Tape
Views: 4,579
Message 39 of 60

Rich,

The proximity sensor works, The screen goes black when I put the phone to my ear.  The problem I'm having is the screen going black when I'm answering a call before I put it to my ear and it never comes back until the caller hangs up. I can't see who's calling, I can't hang up,  I can't see the answer bvutton, but it will answer if I touch the correct spot on the screen. 

As for the Moto Help App, I was using the Device Help App. as suggested. 

Try calibrating the proximity sensor. Place phone call and press the power key 2 times to calibrate it. Also, test the proximity sensor on the Device Help app > Fix > Hardware Test > Proximity Sensor. Let me know how it goes. Thanks."

Let me see if I can find a MOTO device help app. and I'll get back to you..

Mrbuffles
Paper Tape
Views: 4,576
Message 40 of 60

Rich, The Moto device app is not compatible with my device. I have a MOTO z2 Force not a Play, could that be the issue?
Top Kudoed Authors