Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 5,816
Message 11 of 52

Re: Android 9.0

Hi ssbaudio,

We are working on the new Android 9.0 Pie code. Our goal is to get it right and make sure the phone performance is the best it can be. We'll share upgrade plans for our products and keep everyone posted on our software upgrade news page and the Motorola blog.

Here's the link you can check:

https://support.motorola.com/us/en/softwareupgrade/countryselector
https://blog.motorola.com/

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Sandy205
Punch Card
Views: 19,059
Message 12 of 52

Android 9 update for moto z play

Hi, 

Will Moto zplay get Android 9 update or 8.1?

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 19,036
Message 13 of 52

Re: Android 9 update for moto z play

Hi Everyone,

We are working on the new Android 9.0 Pie code. Our goal is to get it right and make sure the phone performance is the best it can be. We'll share upgrade plans for our products and keep everyone posted on our software upgrade news page and the Motorola blog.

Here are the links:

https://support.motorola.com/us/en/softwareupgrade/countryselector
https://blog.motorola.com/

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

sajokaz
Bit Torrent
Views: 19,036
Message 14 of 52

And that site says....."This device will remain on Android Oreo 8.0".  So I think that's the answer.

~Scott
rider722
Paper Tape
Views: 4,294
Message 15 of 52

@Agent_Rich i regularly see you post and respect you for your solution, but this time i dont know why you are answering like this. Moto clearly mention on site that it will no update further, even security patches also stop. If motorola dont respect their customers, we need to buy other phone, and obviously we will not purchase moto again...

Hari94
Serial Port
Views: 4,256
Message 16 of 52

Moto z play not give the android9.0 updates
I want updates, so you not release updates , but i am in testing some other product.
sajokaz
Bit Torrent
Views: 4,245
Message 17 of 52

The Moto Z Play (and Z & Z Force) are now over 2 years old.  I don't think any phone company provides updates after 2 years, so this is nothing new.  They can't update these phones forever and have to draw the line somehwere so they can focus on the 2019 phones.  I think we had a good run of updates over this phone's 2 year span.  But it's time for updates to end, that's just the nature of the phone industry.  If you buy another phone, good luck getting any updates past the one year mark.

~Scott
Highlighted
dotcom101010
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,230
Message 18 of 52

If you consider 2 years of updates acceptable that is on you. I like many other people don't like to have to replace a phone that frequently. I expect my phones and tablets to be kept update  security wise for 5 years. That is not a unreasonable figure as Microsoft and apple does it with an OS. Cellphones are no longer dumb devices and with the current state of security. Phone without security patches being applied are a threat to others. This is plain and simple forced planned obsolescence for no reason other than to force people to buy a new phone. I am glad I never invested in accessories like the speakers, battery, or projector. I love my Moto z play but I will be looking for a company that stands behind their devices longer. Especially with the rising cost of new flagship phone makeing the cost of mid range phones to rise. I might just say screw it and go back to a dumb phone that can get at weeks battery life.

JohnBhatt
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,134
Message 19 of 52

Re: Moto z play pie update

As per their update page, they say, it will remain in Android O 8.0 and Security Updates will no longer be delivered. I have unlocked and using Unofficial LineageOS 15.1 based on Android 8.1. At least that has latest security updates.

JohnBhatt
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,143
Message 20 of 52

None of above. It will remain in 8.0 officially.
Top Kudoed Authors