Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Horvabarna
Not applicable
Views: 622
Message 1 of 11

Moto z2 play tap to pay nonsense

So, I wanted to set up tap to pay on my z2 play to make my life easier, last time I checked (before the oreo update) I believe I could download google pay or android pay (whatever it was named at the time), and I remember the tap to pay option being in the main settings, now, I'm not able to download google pay (it says it isn't compatible with my phone), but the tap and pay option remains, now hidden in a submenu, and the funny thing is, I can still select google pay as the default pay service, even tho I can't configure it, and it isn't even installed, and I can't figure out how to configure the other option either.

Can someone explain what is happening, please?

Agent_JM
Not applicable
Views: 560
Message 2 of 11

Re: Moto z2 play tap to pay nonsense

Hi Horvabarna,

Thanks for reaching out to us. We'd like to look into this further. Is the serial number on your profile updated for your Moto Z2 Play? Where did you actually buy the phone and where are you located?

Regards,
JM
Motorola Support

**Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

dville12
Not applicable
Views: 206
Message 3 of 11

Hello Agent_JM

I can't download the Google Pay app. I bought my z2 Play in Colombia and i live in France.

Thank you in advance!

Phone-E-Bologna
Not applicable
Views: 188
Message 4 of 11

bro mine it's more specific in the error and says something to the effect of since I unlocked my bootloader I could be frauded more easily and therefor google didn't let me get the app or configure for my phone because they don't want to enable nfc when firmware can be edited. I actually support this and don't want it now that I know how easily one can be robbed this way. Food for thought, but IMO if you want to use nfc chips in phones connected to your bank best to get latest iphone or samsung and have the best hardware/software dev team trying to keep you secure / usable.
Artim96
Not applicable
Views: 178
Message 5 of 11

Strange behavior. But ever tried just getting the apk from sites like apkmirror? Just because Play Store says it's not compatible doesn't mean you can't install it
dville12
Not applicable
Views: 174
Message 6 of 11

Actually i found the problem. I moved to France but i hadn't change my Google Play Store account country, so i did it and it works now.

Thank you all!

Phone-E-Bologna
Not applicable
Views: 151
Message 7 of 11

@Artim96 wrote:
Strange behavior. But ever tried just getting the apk from sites like apkmirror? Just because Play Store says it's not compatible doesn't mean you can't install it

I disagree.  At least verify the checksum with play store.  Seems like a great opportunity to download a fake app that steals your checking account.

Highlighted
Artim96
Not applicable
Views: 140
Message 8 of 11

@Phone-E-Bologna wrote:

@Artim96 wrote:

I disagree.  At least verify the checksum with play store.  Seems like a great opportunity to download a fake app that steals your checking account.

That's why I explicitly mentioned apkmirror. They verify every app uploaded that have a counterpart in Google play, not just through a checksum but through the devs signature. So as long as nobody finds a way to fake that (again, since back in the days of Android 4 that happened), it's pretty much impossible to get a manipulated apk

Phone-E-Bologna
Not applicable
Views: 99
Message 9 of 11

Lol, I don't trust play store let alone apkmirror or any other here today give tomorrow "mirror".  I hope they don't slip you malware, doesn't seem like a good idea, for any app but for fintech seems like financial suicide.

Artim96
Not applicable
Views: 95
Message 10 of 11

Well if you don't even trust the play store you are already overly paranoid and nobody here can help you. Just from a logical standpoint it makes no sense not to trust either of them, especially since Google is checking every app multiple times either way.
Top Kudoed Authors