Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Paper Tape
Message 1 of 5 (311 Views)

Phone stops recognizing items on Micro SD card

I'm hoping someone here can help me because I just spent 45 mins on the phone with someone from tech support who was absolutely no help at all to troubleshoot and whose only final suggestion was to factory reset my phone, send it in and get a replacement phone. 

I bought my Motorola Play Z Droid at Best Buy only 5 weeks ago (we switched to TMobile on the same day from Verizon and they didn't have the Motorola phones for sale in their store so I had to go to Best Buy to buy an unlocked one for TMobile), I purchased the additional charger Mod to go with it. I bought the following Micro SD card: 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KZCPPVG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I loved my phone for the most part (other than the built in Google Photos which really sucks), but then I started noticing that when I tried to look at my photo gallery or play music (all of my music is on the Micro SD card), the applications don't even recognize that there is any card with photos or music on it. However, when I go into my File Manager app, the External Storage shows up, as do all the files. But when I go into Settings on my phone, the external storage does not show up as being there even though its in the phone. Yes, the "File Location to View" in File Manager, I do have both external and internal checked so that is not the problem. 

I noticed first when I tried unmounting the SD card and mounting it again (without removing it from the phone) the phone tried to tell me the card was "corrupted", when I know it wasn't corrupted at all (it was practically a brand new card that was only 1/4 full!) and it was telling me to reformat the card which would essentially delete all the content on it (the music wasn't a big deal as it was all on my laptop, but I had a bunch of work photos on that card that I couldn't stand to lose by reformatting that card). Instead I removed the card from the phone, restarted my phone and reinserted the card. Which seemed to have solved the issue. Except that it happened again. Repeated the process and it solved the issue. But then it happened again. I have literally done this now almost every other day for a straight 2 weeks now and its really obnoxious that I should have to keep doing this for a brand new phone. 

At my wits end, I called tech support, who was really no help because they walked me through troubleshooting steps that I had already done on my own. They don't seem to know why this would be happening. They finally suggested I factory reset and send in the phone for a replacement (which would be a huge inconvenience for me and who knows if the replacement phone would just do the same thing). 

Someone out here has to know why this is occuring and how I can fix it. I'm losing my mind here. I don't know why I decided to give Motorola phones another try as the last time I had a Motorola phone it was a heap of junk. But they got me back because I loved the idea of the mods, the ability for longer battery life and the expandable memory. I'm really starting to have buyers remorse about going back to Motorola from Samsung and I shouldn't be having this much issue on a BRAND NEW PHONE that I paid out of pocket close to $700 for! 

HELP ME. 

Topics: 40
Kudos: 2,781
Solutions: 930
Message 2 of 5 (299 Views)

Re: Phone stops recognizing items on Micro SD card

RoxMyBox wrote:

I'm hoping someone here can help me because I just spent 45 mins on the phone with someone from tech support who was absolutely no help at all to troubleshoot and whose only final suggestion was to factory reset my phone, send it in and get a replacement phone. 

I bought my Motorola Play Z Droid at Best Buy only 5 weeks ago (we switched to TMobile on the same day from Verizon and they didn't have the Motorola phones for sale in their store so I had to go to Best Buy to buy an unlocked one for TMobile), I purchased the additional charger Mod to go with it. I bought the following Micro SD card: 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KZCPPVG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I loved my phone for the most part (other than the built in Google Photos which really sucks), but then I started noticing that when I tried to look at my photo gallery or play music (all of my music is on the Micro SD card), the applications don't even recognize that there is any card with photos or music on it. However, when I go into my File Manager app, the External Storage shows up, as do all the files. But when I go into Settings on my phone, the external storage does not show up as being there even though its in the phone. Yes, the "File Location to View" in File Manager, I do have both external and internal checked so that is not the problem. 

I noticed first when I tried unmounting the SD card and mounting it again (without removing it from the phone) the phone tried to tell me the card was "corrupted", when I know it wasn't corrupted at all (it was practically a brand new card that was only 1/4 full!) and it was telling me to reformat the card which would essentially delete all the content on it (the music wasn't a big deal as it was all on my laptop, but I had a bunch of work photos on that card that I couldn't stand to lose by reformatting that card). Instead I removed the card from the phone, restarted my phone and reinserted the card. Which seemed to have solved the issue. Except that it happened again. Repeated the process and it solved the issue. But then it happened again. I have literally done this now almost every other day for a straight 2 weeks now and its really obnoxious that I should have to keep doing this for a brand new phone. 

At my wits end, I called tech support, who was really no help because they walked me through troubleshooting steps that I had already done on my own. They don't seem to know why this would be happening. They finally suggested I factory reset and send in the phone for a replacement (which would be a huge inconvenience for me and who knows if the replacement phone would just do the same thing). 

Someone out here has to know why this is occuring and how I can fix it. I'm losing my mind here. I don't know why I decided to give Motorola phones another try as the last time I had a Motorola phone it was a heap of junk. But they got me back because I loved the idea of the mods, the ability for longer battery life and the expandable memory. I'm really starting to have buyers remorse about going back to Motorola from Samsung and I shouldn't be having this much issue on a BRAND NEW PHONE that I paid out of pocket close to $700 for! 

HELP ME. 

Cards go bad all the time. It is not unusual for electronics to fail early in their life. It is actually more common then failing later. 

All the data you have supplied points to a corrupt card - this can even happen if the card itself is not failing. 

Reading your explanation, it doesn't sound like you ever formatted the card, i just see you removed it and replaced it every time. Can you confirm that you have tried formatting it?

If you have and it is still failing then the card is likely corrupt. This could just be a bad card, or some application is responsible for corrupting the data. 

I suggest you get a different card... maybe even a cheaper smaller one for testing and see how things go. Most SD cards have a 5 -10 warranty. Some are lifetime, so you can also contact the manufacturer. 

But I will be honest, i have never heard of Amplim brand and only by storage from companies that actually manufacturer the flash memory - Sandisk, Samsung, Intel and other major players like Kingston. 

* Search is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Bit Torrent
Message 3 of 5 (289 Views)

As AlphaDog stated it sounds like your SD Card is failing.  It seems to happen quite often with cheaper cards, or perhaps bad batches.  Personally, I have had pretty good results (and maybe luck also) with SanDisk cards.  I've had the same 32GB cards in my phone and my wife's phones for over for a year.  We used them in our Turbo 2's and now in our Z Force & Z Play.

Maybe it's time to copy everything off that card and onto a new one?

~Scott
Fanfold Paper
Message 4 of 5 (250 Views)

Mine was doing the same things. I ended up putting the card in my windows 10 computer and doing a disk repair. Works great now for a couple of weeks and I did not loose anything that was on the card. Again I did a disk repair not a disk format.
Paper Tape
Message 5 of 5 (243 Views)

Thank you so much for the reply! To answer your question, yes, I did format the card the first time I used it. To my understanding, I shouldn't have to format it every time I remove it and put it back into my phone (just make sure to safely eject and remount it to the device when doing so). 

I'm willing to consider that the card might be bad but it is basically a brand new card and isn't even 1/4 full. I had only had it in my phone for a week or two before it started acting up. 

I could get a SanDisk as an experiment as a replacement but after doing some research around online about this issue, it looks like others are having the same issue, even with using SanDisk. But its certainly worth a try. 

On another note, even though I will probably have to try this for longer to know for sure, it seems like this issue was happening when I had my Charger Mod attached to my phone (I had been keeping it on 24/7 to extend my battery life while out in the field for work and while on vacation). Yesterday I decided to just take the Mod off and see if there was any difference and I don't seem to be having any issue with my SD card not being recognized now that I don't have the Mod on it? I'll experiment with this long to see if there is any correlation or not, because with the Mod attached, I was having this issue on a daily basis and having to take the card out, remount it and restart the phone before it would recognize the SD card again. 

Top Kudoed Authors