Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto Z Phones - Mod CapableMoto Z Play
All Forum Topics
Options

11 Posts

04-04-2017

India

15 Signins

137 Page Views

• Views: 137
  • Message 1 of 9

Unable to copy files from internal memory to pc via usb

2017-04-26, 11:37 AM

I am unable to move/copy files from internal memory to pc via USB while moving files from phone to memory card is working fine. I wanted to move a video file of 900 mb from phone ( internal) to my pc. When i navigated to thag particular file after connecting my phone to of via USB, it was showing that file is of 325 mb and not of 900 mb. And when I copied it, only 325 mb got copied and yes the video was truncated. I tried to move some folders and it gave me an ' unexpected error'. On the other hand if I try to move files from my SD card, it's working fine so I guess cable and usb ports are fine.

Using Moto z play running latest firmware.

Options

16 Posts

11-23-2015

Brazil

71 Signins

586 Page Views

• Views: 586
  • Message 2 of 9

Re: Unable to copy files from internal memory to pc via usb

2017-04-27, 10:26 AM

I also have the same problem. I tried on several different computers and every time I try to copy a large amount of files or files with large size I get the same error message. Both the transfer to the internal memory and to the memory card the same error happens.

Options

121 Posts

10-13-2016

United States of America

178 Signins

1786 Page Views

• Views: 1786
  • Message 3 of 9

2017-04-29, 13:39 PM

wrote:

I also have the same problem. I tried on several different computers and every time I try to copy a large amount of files or files with large size I get the same error message. Both the transfer to the internal memory and to the memory card the same error happens.

Maybe it's the way the internal memory is formatted. Even then, that doesn't make a whole lot of sense since you can get games and movies on the device than can range in the 3gb+ range. Makes me think of FAT32 (I think), where single file sizes are limited to 10gb's in size I think, but it at least tells you this. It may sound crazy, but try to use a app, or something that will allow you to pull the files like a network. I think ES-File explorer has this, and I know AirDroid does. Obvious downside is transfer rate since it's not using USB 3. If I had a seperate USB-C to USB cable I'd try this myself. Stupid that it didn't come with one for me (Verizon Droid Moto Z)...

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do."
-Bruce Lee
Options

7269 Posts

02-11-2016

United States of America

3454 Signins

88881 Page Views

• Views: 88881
  • Message 4 of 9

2017-05-01, 19:51 PM

So far, I've been unable to duplicate this behavior. I downloaded a 658MB MPEG from the internet to my internal storage on my Moto Z Play. I then copied it to my PC using a USB cable. The file remained the same size. See attached photo.

I've also transferred multiple large files/folders (11GB) to and from the PC/Internal Storage/Micro SD Card a few times back and forth and never ran into any errors. 

What version of Windows are you using? 

-Tom

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up icon on the bottom right to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

11 Posts

04-04-2017

India

15 Signins

137 Page Views

• Message 5 of 9

2017-05-02, 7:21 AM

I am using windows 10.

I have unlocked my bootloader when I tried to downgrade to Marshmallow and since then before booting it says ID: bad key instead of ID: N/A. Does it have to do anything?

I have already tried resetting and no gain.

Options

7269 Posts

02-11-2016

United States of America

3454 Signins

88881 Page Views

• Message 6 of 9

2017-05-02, 12:11 PM

wrote:

I am using windows 10.

I have unlocked my bootloader when I tried to downgrade to Marshmallow and since then before booting it says ID: bad key instead of ID: N/A. Does it have to do anything?

I have already tried resetting and no gain.

I tested on my Windows 7 laptop. I'll test a bit later on my Windows 10 desktop to see if the issue happens there. By unlocking the bootloader it shouldn't affect anything. However, if you modified anything with the software, then there is no telling what might happen. Do you have a Droid version or Retail version of the Moto Z Play?

-Tom

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up icon on the bottom right to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

11 Posts

04-04-2017

India

15 Signins

137 Page Views

• Message 7 of 9

2017-05-02, 13:10 PM

I am using an Indian variant, so retail version I believe. And I am running stock with no root, custom recovery or any kind of mods whatsoever. 

Options

7269 Posts

02-11-2016

United States of America

3454 Signins

88881 Page Views

• Message 8 of 9

2017-05-08, 20:02 PM

wrote:

I am using an Indian variant, so retail version I believe. And I am running stock with no root, custom recovery or any kind of mods whatsoever. 

So I did some testing on Windows 10. I'm still unable to duplicate. Videos copied from Internal storage to my PC stay the same size. I was also able to move multiple folders from internal to my pc and back again via USB with no errors. See attached screencaps:

I'll admit I'm a bit lost at this point. Are you able to duplicate this issue on another computer? I've tried Windows 7 and Windows 10 with no issues.

-Tom

Options

11 Posts

04-04-2017

India

15 Signins

137 Page Views

• Message 9 of 9

2017-05-13, 7:38 AM

It is working now. May be april security update has to do something with it.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms