Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
ET328
Fanfold Paper
Views: 22,703
Message 1 of 16

Bluetooth not working

My Moto Z phone's bluetooth is not working anymore. I noticed problems last october (phone was little over one year old then) when bluetooth would not turn on, slider just moved back to disabled. I fixed it with aiplane mode on/off trick, but still had connection problems. Recently I noticed that bluetooth devices are not detected by the phone and also Moto Z is not detected by other devices. I don't use bluetooth very often, only with few devices and it may be months between each usage, so that's why I noticed this only now.

So looks like I need to send the phone to service. But since this seems to be quite a common problem, will the repair also work about a year maximum (like the original phone did) and then I have again the same problem? And then I'm out of warranty... 

Has Motorola identified the real cause and is actually fixing the phones to last a long time? Or are they just playing time and hoping that all effected phones are out of warranty soon and they'll get off the hook?

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 22,574
Message 2 of 16

Re: Bluetooth not working

Hi ET328

We understand how hard it is that the Bluetooth is not working but may I ask what happened before this started? 

Have you tried any troubleshooting steps yet? 

Have you tried resetting the phone's network settings? Settings > Backup & Reset > Network Settings reset > Reset Settings. Can you try clearing its cache/data? Go to Settings > App > three dots on upper right > Show system > Bluetooth Share > Storage > clear cache/data. 

You may also check if Bluetooth Scanning is OFF. Go to Settings > Location > tap 3 dots > Scanning > toggle OFF  Bluetooth Scanning if it is ON.

Please update your profile with the serial/IMEI/MEID number of your phone? This will help us investigate. Make sure that your Motorola Privacy is enabled under Settings. Let me know (just reply here) if it's okay for me to look at your apps to see if they are a source of problems.

Need help updating your profile? Click on this link.

Regards,
Ella
Motorola Support

ET328
Fanfold Paper
Views: 22,568
Message 3 of 16

Nothing weird happened before this started, one day I just noticed the problem. I'm not sure if a software upgrade was installed before it or not. I have installed all updates but as I said my bluetooth usage is not frequent so I can't pinpoint exact times.

I have tried all those steps. Also cleared cache partition. No help.

I have updated my profile with serial number and allowed sharing of data. You can look my apps.

I will reset the phone during this weekend and test without any extra apps installed. 

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 22,530
Message 4 of 16

@ET328 wrote:

Nothing weird happened before this started, one day I just noticed the problem. I'm not sure if a software upgrade was installed before it or not. I have installed all updates but as I said my bluetooth usage is not frequent so I can't pinpoint exact times.

I have tried all those steps. Also cleared cache partition. No help.

I have updated my profile with serial number and allowed sharing of data. You can look my apps.

I will reset the phone during this weekend and test without any extra apps installed. 

Thanks for updating your profile. I am not able to see anything on your device that may have caused this. Aside from not regularly rebooting your phone. Otherwise, everything is fine. 

Can you try to go to Device Help > Fix > Hardware Tests > Bluetooth. Passed/Failed? For resetting your device, make sure that automatic restore is disabled. Have your data backed-up so you won't lose any information. Please make sure to remember the Google account you used when you first set.up the phone, or you may simply remove it so as to prevent kill switch after the reset. 

Let me know how it goes. 

- Ella

ET328
Fanfold Paper
Views: 22,513
Message 5 of 16

Hardware test shows bluetooth failed. But then again, that is not an actual hw-test since it requires user input and just shows failed/passed based on the user's answer.

I have now factory resetted the phone and started it without SIM-card/wifi and didn't restore any apps. Still the same problem, no bluetooth devices are detected by the phone and other devices don't detect the phone via bluetooth.

So the phone is going to the service next monday. I'm pretty sure things wont' go well and this will be a long story... My phone is now in an immaculate condition, battery life is good (hasn't been quick charged) and I won't accept anything less back.

I'm still wondering if Motorola has identified the real cause of these many bluetooth failures? And I'm also wondering if after repair the phone will fail again after some time? My phone has had a nice life with no extreme temps, it hasn't been dropped, bend, exposed to water or anything like that and still it failed.

NoFlo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 22,474
Message 6 of 16

Just to bump a random BT problem thread and join the community of connectionless MotoZ owners:

Got these BT connection problems after the December Security Update. After a reboot, BT works for some time (minutes to 1-2 hours max), then it shuts off and cannot be turned on again (grayed out, no paired devices listed)

Did multiple full resets (with and without restore from backup), the problem persists.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 22,437
Message 7 of 16

@NoFlowrote:

Just to bump a random BT problem thread and join the community of connectionless MotoZ owners:

Got these BT connection problems after the December Security Update. After a reboot, BT works for some time (minutes to 1-2 hours max), then it shuts off and cannot be turned on again (grayed out, no paired devices listed)

Did multiple full resets (with and without restore from backup), the problem persists.

Well, if the factory reset with no restore was no help, I'm afraid you may have to have it checked through a service center. YOu may check this link for further assistance. - Ella

ET328
Fanfold Paper
Views: 22,234
Message 8 of 16

My Moto Z phone has now been almost 5 weeks in "service". Looks like they are rebuilding it piece by piece... This just confirms that I surely made a wrong decision buying this brand.

Warburgatron
Paper Tape
Views: 22,181
Message 9 of 16

Same here bluetooth worked fine on my last one but now I had to send in replacement phone has never worked.  Toggle goes on bug doesn't work ever.  Makes for dangerous driving.

ET328
Fanfold Paper
Views: 22,210
Message 10 of 16

After almost 6 weeks of "repairs" I was finally told that they are not able to get the needed parts from Motorola. So I was issued a full refund of the original sum that I paid 1.5 years ago. Which was a nice surprise. So I added a little and bought an S9. Now I miss pure Android and Moto Z's front fingerprint scanner, but at least bluetooth seems to work...

Top Kudoed Authors