Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Bob_W
Punch Card
Views: 3,594
Message 1 of 14

Does anyone know if the Moto Z supports UHS-II Micro SD cards?

I'm looking to get a new micro sd card to use as internal memory for my Moto Z, but am having trouble finding out what's supported.     The documentation states to get one that's class 10 UHS-I rated, which I did and got a message that it was too slow when I tried to set it up.  While the one I got was U1, and I realize the U3 ones are available and much faster,  the UHS-II U3 cards are much faster still,  and with black Friday sales coming up, I'm hoping to get one at a good price.    

But the big question is, is UHS-II supported.   If not, it's just a waste of money.  Especially since merchants will probably be offering UHS-1 cards at a good price to clear out the old stock.

Thanks,

Bob

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 3,553
Message 2 of 14

Re: Does anyone know if the Moto Z supports UHS-II Micro SD cards?

Why do you want to use the cars as internal storage? are you already out of storage space? I am a strong advocate against using the card for internal storage as I am not convinced Google has all the bugs out yet. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Bob_W
Punch Card
Views: 3,544
Message 3 of 14

Mainly just to bypass one more decision on where to store audio, video and pics (and apps).   If everything is internal storage, just put it on the phone.    Kind of the same idea as buying a 1TB-5TB hard drive for you desktop system when you could buy multiple smaller drives.   One less place to look for data.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 3,540
Message 4 of 14

@Bob_W wrote:

Mainly just to bypass one more decision on where to store audio, video and pics (and apps).   If everything is internal storage, just put it on the phone.    Kind of the same idea as buying a 1TB-5TB hard drive for you desktop system when you could buy multiple smaller drives.   One less place to look for data.

But it really isn't the same. A better analogy (when talking about adopted storage) - your desktop system:

- it shipped with an SSD of 128gb. You add a slower 128gb hard drive and you extend the C drive so the OS thinks there is now a 256gb drive. To you the user, it is easy, one place to store things, but the new hard drive you added is slower. 

In the case of adopted storage it is encrypted always, and the key is stored on the phone. Reset the phone, or if SD card is corrupted or damaged, the data is lost forever. The card can't be put into any device to be read, even if it is not corrupted. It is encrypted. 

Apps are slower on SD card too. And not all apps will move to it. Some users report that there are problem apps like facebook. Move it to the card, and when it updates it brings the system to a stop. 

Unless you need space for apps, adopted storage complicates things. Put all audio, video, pics on the SD card. the camera has a setting to default to there. You can pull the card out and pop it into a pc to move data, if you want. Install apps as you always do and let the internal phone handle it. When you one day switch phones, pop the sd card and put it into the new phone. You cant do that with adopted storage. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
swejuggalo
Punch Card
Views: 3,534
Message 5 of 14

Just to compare built in storage vs high speed micro sd (90 write/95 read). The phone seems to limit the speed pretty much.

I havn't tested enough times to make it certain but it should give a hint about possible slowdowns when being used as internal. 

Screenshot_20161103-192848.png

Screenshot_20161103-194158.png

Bob_W
Punch Card
Views: 3,525
Message 6 of 14

That's the reason I'm asking about the UHS-II cards.   I've seen reports about the Sandisk UHS-II Extreme Pro giving read and write speeds very close to matching the speeds you show for internal storage.   > 200MB/s read & > 90MB/s write.

If the phone doesn't support UHS-II, it's a mute point, but if it does...even if I still use it as external storage, it will be faster, photos will be faster, display times will be faster, etc. and while the UHS-II price looks to be about twice the UHS-I U3 price, I'm hoping for some sales this Nov/Dec.

So back to the original question... do you know if the Moto Z supports UHS-II?

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 3,520
Message 7 of 14

@Bob_W wrote:

That's the reason I'm asking about the UHS-II cards.   I've seen reports about the Sandisk UHS-II Extreme Pro giving read and write speeds very close to matching the speeds you show for internal storage.   > 200MB/s read & > 90MB/s write.

If the phone doesn't support UHS-II, it's a mute point, but if it does...even if I still use it as external storage, it will be faster, photos will be faster, display times will be faster, etc. and while the UHS-II price looks to be about twice the UHS-I U3 price, I'm hoping for some sales this Nov/Dec.

So back to the original question... do you know if the Moto Z supports UHS-II?

Even if it does support UHS-II there is significant overhead in encryption. I doubt you will see anything close to published specs. 

But speed aside, the forums are littered with "woe is me" posts. People that have to reset their phones and either forget to backup the data on the card, or can't (phone is unresponsive, reset is only option). All data is lost when phone is reset. The incidence of card failures appears higher when adopted storage is chosen - nothing scientific, but I never saw that many before adopted storage became an option. 

Finally, you can't completely choose where everything is stored. The phone still makes choices on what to put on "real" internal and what to put on "adopted" internal. It is possible to run out of room, and not be able to do anything about it. Many apps can't be moved to adopted storage.

I will get off my soap box. Just be aware, that extending internal storage with an SD card is not the same as buying a higher capacity phone.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 3,517
Message 8 of 14

I found then answer - Qualcomm chips are limited to UHS-I - this article got me on the right track:

http://www.pocketables.com/2016/10/lexar-64gb-uhs-ii-microsd-review.html

And Qualcomm site confirms it:

https://www.qualcomm.com/products/snapdragon/processors/820

Bob_W
Punch Card
Views: 3,516
Message 9 of 14

OK.  I've heard a lot about why I should not use and SD card as internal storage, and I appriciate it.   I'll probably rethink that and decide to keep it as external storage.   

But the question is still open.   Does the Moto Z support UHS-II?  

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 3,513
Message 10 of 14

@Bob_W wrote:

OK.  I've heard a lot about why I should not use and SD card as internal storage, and I appriciate it.   I'll probably rethink that and decide to keep it as external storage.   

But the question is still open.   Does the Moto Z support UHS-II?  

If you need more internal space for apps, then I get why you need adopted storage, I just think to turn it on before needed is a bad strategy. Maybe after N comes out it will be better. 

I hope in the future, I can recommend it without any caveats and it works better then today. 

Top Kudoed Authors