Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mironiko
Paper Tape
Views: 2,812
Message 1 of 7

Facebook app working terribly

Hi!

I own a Moto Z XT1650-03 (EU Retail), now 3 weeks, that got upgraded to Nougat practically from the first day of me using it. Now, from the start it has some performance issues (I have read on a number of sites that it works on 1.59 GHz - all of the cores), but the only one really worth mentioning is the one related to Facebook app.

Namely, after I "like" something, it freezes for a few seconds (to the extent of unusability), and even when I just scroll through the Feed, it stutters unbelievably, like it's a under 100$ device.

Can You please point out potential solutions to me? I couldn't find any kind of performance tweeking option in Settings (although I turned on the Developer options, but only to find nothing specific there), and my device isn't rooted, I and would like it to stay that way, if it is possible. If not, I would make that "sacrifice" to raise the performance levels of my phone.

Thank You very much for Your answer! I hope we can find some kind of a solution.

Moto Z rocks!
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 2,802
Message 2 of 7

Re: Facebook app working terribly

@mironiko wrote:

Hi!

I own a Moto Z XT1650-03 (EU Retail), now 3 weeks, that got upgraded to Nougat practically from the first day of me using it. Now, from the start it has some performance issues (I have read on a number of sites that it works on 1.59 GHz - all of the cores), but the only one really worth mentioning is the one related to Facebook app.

Namely, after I "like" something, it freezes for a few seconds (to the extent of unusability), and even when I just scroll through the Feed, it stutters unbelievably, like it's a under 100$ device.

Can You please point out potential solutions to me? I couldn't find any kind of performance tweeking option in Settings (although I turned on the Developer options, but only to find nothing specific there), and my device isn't rooted, I and would like it to stay that way, if it is possible. If not, I would make that "sacrifice" to raise the performance levels of my phone.

Thank You very much for Your answer! I hope we can find some kind of a solution.

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling facebook? Maybe an app update. Also, your phone is the first non verizon Z i have heard of getting android N. What is the system version under settings about phone? 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 2,801
Message 3 of 7

Hi mironiko,

Are you using data or wifi in browsing Facebook application? The performance of the app also depends on the strength of the network. Strong connection is one thing that you need to consider. If you don't have a problem with that, let's start troubleshooting your phone. Let's begin clearing the app cache. Just go to Settings>Apps>Facebook>Storage>Clear Cache. Then power off and on your device. Let me know if there's any changes.

Also, please update your profile with current phone, carrier and serial number -- this will help me investigate. Please make sure that the options under Settings > Motorola Privacy are on as well, and let me know (just reply here) if it's okay for me to look at your apps to see if they are a source of problems.

Need help updating your profile? See here

Regards,

Joy

Motorola Support

mironiko
Paper Tape
Views: 2,765
Message 4 of 7

@AlphaDog

So, the serial number is ZY223MKLSR, software channel is reteu (retail European Union), Baseband version is M8996_1239.53.01.126R RSD, Build number NPL25.86-15.

I have both reinstalled FB, and cleared cache and data - without success. On the other hand, all European retail units have gotten Nougat some 3 weeks ago.

Any ideas?

Thank You very much for Your help!

@Moto_Joy

First of all, You can see the details of my phone a few lines above. Also, Motorola Privacy is ON. You have my permission to check what You find to be inportant. Smiley Happy

Now, on the other hand, there is absolutely no problem with my connection, and the app is problematic both on WiFi and DATA (which is, by the way, great, at about 50/10Mbs).

I am quite sure that there is no major problems with the phone, and that the app is causing problems, since all the other apps work just fine - at least I couldn't see anything unusual, and the performance is ok, even in the apps that worked not-so-great with my previous phone (Nexus 5X). Practically, only the FB app is working disasterously...

Thank You for Your help as well! Smiley Happy

Moto Z rocks!
Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 2,750
Message 5 of 7

@mironiko wrote:

@AlphaDog

So, the serial number is ZY223MKLSR, software channel is reteu (retail European Union), Baseband version is M8996_1239.53.01.126R RSD, Build number NPL25.86-15.

I have both reinstalled FB, and cleared cache and data - without success. On the other hand, all European retail units have gotten Nougat some 3 weeks ago.

Any ideas?

@Moto_Joy

First of all, You can see the details of my phone a few lines above. Also, Motorola Privacy is ON. You have my permission to check what You find to be inportant. Smiley Happy

Now, on the other hand, there is absolutely no problem with my connection, and the app is problematic both on WiFi and DATA (which is, by the way, great, at about 50/10Mbs).

I am quite sure that there is no major problems with the phone, and that the app is causing problems, since all the other apps work just fine - at least I couldn't see anything unusual, and the performance is ok, even in the apps that worked not-so-great with my previous phone (Nexus 5X). Practically, only the FB app is working disasterously...

Hi mironiko,

Based on the serial number of your device, Facebook app is really the one that is crashing. We suggest to uninstall the facebook and reinstall it back and see if it needs to have an update. Since you just updated your device to N update, we can also suggest you doing clear cache partition to eliminate some caches due to update.

Regards,
Jess
Motorola Support

mironiko
Paper Tape
Views: 2,736
Message 6 of 7

Did as You suggested (although I already wiped app data&cache and reinstalled it some time ago - without success), seems that wiping cache partition resolved the problem.

Now, the app works MUCH better. There is still some stuttering and micro-lag, but that's absolutely tolerable, especially since performance, in general, is great.

Once again - thank You for Your help! Smiley Happy
Moto Z rocks!
Motorola Admin Motorola Admin
Motorola Admin
Views: 2,730
Message 7 of 7

@mironiko wrote:

@AlphaDog

Any ideas?

@Moto_Joy

I think Facebook is to blame on this one and not so much Nougat. Over the past few weeks, the Facebook app has been bad on all of my phones (Marshmallow and Nougat), stuttering and freezing. At times even force closing. I think Facebook will have to release an update via the Playstore to help resolve these issues. 

-Tom

Need help updating your profile? See here. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943
Top Kudoed Authors