Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 954
Message 11 of 18

Re: GPS problem after Android 8.0 (oreo) update

Hi beatschubser,

Thanks for the reply. I couldn't say right now that this is caused by the upgrade. We're considering two factors that could cause this issue, one is a software related issue and the other one is a hardware issue. A bug report will help us to investigate. 

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

RadfahrerJ
Paper Tape
Views: 889
Message 12 of 18

I too have observed a significant degradation in GPS sensitivity since upgrading to Oreo. I wish I had never upgraded.

I am an app developer, and  I already have 2 apps using GPS in the Play Store. I am currently developing something like Runtastic for bicycles - only better Smiley Happy

I use my app daily on my bicycle. Always mounted to the handle bar, so that I can keep an eye on performance while riding. 

Since Oreo, I  miss a lot of GPS updates. I usually ask for an update every 10 seconds, sometimes even every second. Since Oreo, it sometimes takes 5 to 10 minutes between updates. Before Oreo, I thought I had the best GPS in the world. Always reliable.

Please take this issue seriously and give us a fix.

Or revert us to Nougat!

beatschubser
Paper Tape
Views: 882
Message 13 of 18

@RadfahrerJ wrote:

Please take this issue seriously and give us a fix.

Lenovo won't fix anything, see the WiFi-issues we reported over a year ago. The Z Play on Android 8.0 is EOL, so we are stuck with a device that can't be used for navigation any more.

RadfahrerJ
Paper Tape
Views: 801
Message 14 of 18

After a bit of further studying, I believe GPS is OK on Moto Z Oreo, and that some apps have just not been upgraded to work well with Oreo.

Please refer to the "Background Location Limits", which were introduced with Oreo. 

For me at least that now explains the problems I have seen so far

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 782
Message 15 of 18

Hi RadfahrerJ,

Thanks for sharing. I'm glad that it works for you.

If we're still having this issue please send me a bug report so we can further investigate. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Grrrrrene
Paper Tape
Views: 538
Message 16 of 18

I have the same issue on my Moto Z Play. No GPS after the update. I rebooted in safe mode as instructed above and ran the test: no GPS. I need it for navigation in my car, but I see there is no update from Lenovo to fix this issue? 

@RadfahrerJ It also fails to work on Google Maps, surely that app has been updated to work with 8.0? Smiley Surprised

Grrrrrene
Paper Tape
Views: 508
Message 17 of 18

Update: I fixed the problem. What I did: disabled high accuracy location. Reboot phone. Enable high accuracy location. Reboot phone. After the second reboot I have working GPS and the toggle switch now actually turns GPS on and off. Hope this helps some of you. It is easy to do, does not wipe any data, so perhaps try this first?

Highlighted
SoWErA
Paper Tape
Views: 21
Message 18 of 18

Thank you **removed** bug in Oreo Smiley Sad it worked after disabling GPS and re enabling it no reboot required.

Edited: due to site rules violation -preferred language - Rich

Top Kudoed Authors