Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 1,558
Message 1 of 10

GSM Moto Z - PIN + fingerprint security...

'afternoon.

Device: GSM Moto Z, Android 6.0.1, no updates applied (none available), running Nova Launcher (free).

I've noticed occasionally that when I go to unlock my phone by fingerprint, the PIN pad will appear with the prompt to: "Enter PIN to enable fingerprint" (not exactly verbatim). Seems kind of random. Definitely not a result of a power cycle, as my current uptime shows 158+ hours.

Is this a type of occasional security double-check on Moto devices? I don't see this behavior on my "other" device, which also runs 6.0.1.

Thanks in advance!

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 1,548
Message 2 of 10

Re: GSM Moto Z - PIN + fingerprint security...

I do have occassional prompts on my Nexus 5x - even though I have fingerprint scanner enabled. It is not once a day. And it doesn't seem to be due to some non-use period like overnight. But i do get prompted for PIN sometimes. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 1,546
Message 3 of 10

@sarbin wrote:

'afternoon.

Device: GSM Moto Z, Android 6.0.1, no updates applied (none available), running Nova Launcher (free).

I've noticed occasionally that when I go to unlock my phone by fingerprint, the PIN pad will appear with the prompt to: "Enter PIN to enable fingerprint" (not exactly verbatim). Seems kind of random. Definitely not a result of a power cycle, as my current uptime shows 158+ hours.

Is this a type of occasional security double-check on Moto devices? I don't see this behavior on my "other" device, which also runs 6.0.1.

Thanks in advance!

Hi sarbin,

Thanks for bringing this to us. Have you tried disabling Nova Launcher? There are some instances that some features may not work as launcher has it's own features to be used. I would suggest to do safe mode and see if that works.

Regards,

Jess

Motorola Support

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 1,544
Message 4 of 10

Thanks for confirming, AlphaDog.

I don't get it daily, either. Just once in a while.

Since I'm new to Moto smartphones, I'm noticing the differences. Smiley Happy

Cheers!

PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 1,538
Message 5 of 10

Thanks for the reply, Moto_Jess.

Device function isn't impaired in any way, and I'm not at all bothered by the behavior of being challenged for my PIN on occasion. If it's, in fact, related somehow to Nova Launcher, then all the more reason to leave it be as I'm not a big fan of the Google Now Launcher. Smiley Wink

Seeing as this PIN challenge only happens once in a while, and is not unique to me, I don't think that running in safe mode will help since I'd need to run that way for an extended period without knowing when the PIN prompt might happen.

Cheers!

showtdog17
SCSI Port
Views: 1,519
Message 6 of 10

Does yours make u enter the pin each time that happens?
I jus retry the fingerprint sensor n it bypasses the pin security..
Messerschmidt
SCSI Port
Views: 1,489
Message 7 of 10

My newest Moto device is a Moto X Pure Edition (no fingerprint scanner), so I have no first-hand experience with this issue on a Moto Z.  However, I have encountered a similar issue with my Samsung Galaxy S7 edge. 

As far as I can recall, this has only happened on the first boot when I am restarting the device after powering down.  I don't remember the exact wording, but the message I get seems to imply that the reason it is prompting me for the PIN is to "protect the fingerprint data."  It only happens occasionally, and I have not figured out exactly what triggers it. 

I assume that these issues with the Moto Z and the GS7e are generic to Android, since both devices (as far as I know) are using the fingerprint API that Google introduced with Marshmallow, rather than some proprietary version.  (For what it's worth, my GS7e is Android 6.0.1, the latest available build for its region code.) 

Like the OP, it don't find it particularly concerning, although it would be nice to understand it better.  To me, it shows that Android is designed to make my device securely lockable. 

ryzilla
HDMI
Views: 1,479
Message 8 of 10

I get this on my Moto Z Force DROID, but it only happens after an overnight idle. 

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 1,408
Message 9 of 10

@sarbin wrote:

Thanks for the reply, Moto_Jess.

Device function isn't impaired in any way, and I'm not at all bothered by the behavior of being challenged for my PIN on occasion. If it's, in fact, related somehow to Nova Launcher, then all the more reason to leave it be as I'm not a big fan of the Google Now Launcher. Smiley Wink

Seeing as this PIN challenge only happens once in a while, and is not unique to me, I don't think that running in safe mode will help since I'd need to run that way for an extended period without knowing when the PIN prompt might happen.

Cheers!

Hi sarbin,

Appears that device is working as designed. If the device is idle for a period of time it will automatically lock and require the PIN to enable the Fingerprint scanner. I notice it after the phone is been idle overnight.

Regards,
Jess
Motorola Support

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 1,377
Message 10 of 10

Thanks for confirming, Moto_Jess.

Marking thread "solved".

Top Kudoed Authors