Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ah42
HDMI
Views: 593
Message 1 of 18

Help! I can't figure out what's killing my battery

Ok, so I have been trying my best to figure out why my battery life is so bad and I can't pinpoint it. Without root access, I can't get detailed battery stats like wakelocks like I'm used to. Let me also say that I don't think it's fair that I, the user, am responsible for tracking down why my battery life is horrible. It seems like the manufacturer and the app developers should be held responible for bad battery life.

So the battery stats I'm posting here are with the battery mod attached giving me a total of 4800 mAh. Other people are claiming that the standard 2600 gets them through the day just fine with 3-4 hours screen on time. I can barely get 2 hours SOT with 4800 mAh and am dying by about 8-9 pm. The stats don't point to a single app causing trouble. It looks like the Android OS and Android System. Also, I forgot to capture a screenshot of SOT but it was right around 2 hours. I know all the troubleshooting steps to go through and have done most of them. I'm worried that a factory reset might be my final option at fixing this. Does anyone else have any other suggestions? Are you guys actually getting good battery life with the standard 2600 mAh? I'm starting to think faulty hardware could be a possiblity too since I've done so much troubleshooting already and have come up with nothing.

Screenshot_20161102-205810.pngScreenshot_20161102-205758.pngScreenshot_20161102-205802.png

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 583
Message 2 of 18

Re: Help! I can't figure out what's killing my battery

@ah42 wrote:

Ok, so I have been trying my best to figure out why my battery life is so bad and I can't pinpoint it. Without root access, I can't get detailed battery stats like wakelocks like I'm used to. Let me also say that I don't think it's fair that I, the user, am responsible for tracking down why my battery life is horrible. It seems like the manufacturer and the app developers should be held responible for bad battery life.

So the battery stats I'm posting here are with the battery mod attached giving me a total of 4800 mAh. Other people are claiming that the standard 2600 gets them through the day just fine with 3-4 hours screen on time. I can barely get 2 hours SOT with 4800 mAh and am dying by about 8-9 pm. The stats don't point to a single app causing trouble. It looks like the Android OS and Android System. Also, I forgot to capture a screenshot of SOT but it was right around 2 hours. I know all the troubleshooting steps to go through and have done most of them. I'm worried that a factory reset might be my final option at fixing this. Does anyone else have any other suggestions? Are you guys actually getting good battery life with the standard 2600 mAh? I'm starting to think faulty hardware could be a possiblity too since I've done so much troubleshooting already and have come up with nothing.

Screenshot_20161102-205810.pngScreenshot_20161102-205758.pngScreenshot_20161102-205802.png

Hi ah42,

Based on your device, seems you have lots of applications running or use every time. Most of those crashes and have seen that one of your apps consumes much of your battery. That app is the HBO. Based on diagnostics, over the last 2 weeks, your device has not been power cycled. I would suggest to power cycle your device at least once a day as power cycling your device will clear its memory, empty its cache and release any AP (app processor) stuck situations, improving its overall performance, which makes your battery drains too fast too.

Regards,

Jess

Motorola Support

Starkman
Punch Card
Views: 582
Message 3 of 18

ah42
HDMI
Views: 576
Message 4 of 18

Hey Jess, thanks for the suggestions. The HBO app has been so buggy for so long that I wouldn't be surprised if that is one the main battery drains. I have cleared cache recently and power cycled last night. It seems to be doing a bit better today. Battery mod ran out about 4 pm. I understand everything you're saying except releasing the app processor. Does that just mean force closing an app that's misbehaving?

Highlighted
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 570
Message 5 of 18

@ah42 wrote:

Hey Jess, thanks for the suggestions. The HBO app has been so buggy for so long that I wouldn't be surprised if that is one the main battery drains. I have cleared cache recently and power cycled last night. It seems to be doing a bit better today. Battery mod ran out about 4 pm. I understand everything you're saying except releasing the app processor. Does that just mean force closing an app that's misbehaving?

Simply power cycling the phone (turn off, count to 10, turn on) will kill any processes, and that's what Jess said...it was just a long sentence.   :-D

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 568
Message 6 of 18

It is very hard to troubleshoot with a battery mod attached. And you can't add the mAH either. 

The phone's battery is operating the phone - the battery mod is purely designed to charge the battery. charging input is 5V, but LiON output is 3.6. So the battery mod is using a significant percentage of its mAH to increase its voltage. 

The point is the 2600mAH phone plus 2200 mod is almost double the battery. But you will not get double the life. I have seen some estimates of about 30% more runtime with battery mod. 

Test without the mod. Try safe mode, try basic reboot. If nothing works, do a reset - it fixes battery drain problems nothing else can. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
KarlBeckman
802.11n
Views: 563
Message 7 of 18

@ah42 wrote:

Yiou don't need root access to see the most helpful information, and Wake Locks are not terribly useful for troubleshooting Android 5.0 Lollipop or later.  Instead take a look at the color bar on the right, below the Time Until Empty graph - it is labeled Cellular Network Signal.  When it's not green your phone is not receiving adequate signal from your network provider.  You seem to have reasonable cell signal level during daytime hours but not overnight.  Beyond that, here are three things you should try:

1] It is recommended that you power cycle any Android phone off and back on once a day.  Some users suggest clearing cache memory manually every two weeks.

2]  For analyzing issues, boot the phone into SAFE Mode.  This will disable all of your non-factory apps.  You can then turn apps back on a few at a time.  Users often find two or more third-party apps that interact with each other and reduce battery life.  If you already suspect HBO, uninstall it and reload from the Play Store.

3] In your services options you can set updates to "Only over WiFi" which would reduce the use of Google Play Services and in turn the Screen On time.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 558
Message 8 of 18

I am going to disagree with this statement:

It is recommended that you power cycle any Android phone off and back on at least once every three or four days, and clear the cache memory every two weeks.

I have never had to do this. I have never cleared cache, and I reboot only when i have too. I have phones with uptime of weeks. Maybe if you have a bad app you would have to do that. But I have never had phone act up that ofter that I would ever have to reboot at this frequency. that would drive me back to an iphone. 

But my Windows machines are as stable or my stable then my mac machines. So I guess I don't run bad apps. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
swejuggalo
Punch Card
Views: 552
Message 9 of 18

I use Greenify to eliminate issues with possibly buggy battery draining apps. Unless I really want a app to be active in background I just let Greenify "kill" the process. Personally I use a doze icon on the desktop to do it manually, atleast after I've used a app that has bugged for me before or when I know I won't be using the phone for some time.

KarlBeckman
802.11n
Views: 551
Message 10 of 18

I've edited it back down to "Some users suggest clearing cache memory ..." As for WIN vs Mac OS stability, you obviously exercise appropriate caution and common sense when visiting web sites, as we all should.

Top Kudoed Authors