Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 274
Message 11 of 18

Re: Help! I can't figure out what's killing my battery

@KarlBeckman wrote:

I've edited it back down to "Some users suggest clearing cache memory ..." As for WIN vs Mac OS stability, you obviously exercise appropriate caution and common sense when visiting web sites, as we all should.

Some of my fellow mods do reboot daily and clear cache all the time. If that works for you, then great. I just want to use my phone without to much dancing.

No worries. we all have different opinions. For your use case, and others, your advice may be spot on. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
fr4nk1yn
Vacuum Tubes
Views: 254
Message 12 of 18

From your photo of battery stats it looks like the cell signal, although I don't know why it would cause that much drain.

While the signal is in the green the battery consumption is level, once it's yellow....

Also try gsam battery monitor. The built in monitor is pretty bad. 

ah42
HDMI
Views: 241
Message 13 of 18

@fr4nk1yn wrote:

From your photo of battery stats it looks like the cell signal, although I don't know why it would cause that much drain.

While the signal is in the green the battery consumption is level, once it's yellow...y

Yeah, that yellow signal area is when I'm at home. What's strange is that my previous phone (Droid Turbo) had good signal at my house, and the Moto Z does not. Maybe that just goes to show that the Motorola made radios are better than the Lenovo ones. 

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 236
Message 14 of 18

@ah42 wrote:

@fr4nk1yn wrote:

While the signal is in the green the battery consumption is level, once it's yellow...y

Yeah, that yellow signal area is when I'm at home. What's strange is that my previous phone (Droid Turbo) had good signal at my house, and the Moto Z does not. Maybe that just goes to show that the Motorola made radios are better than the Lenovo ones. 

Curious: are you going by the number of bars?  Or actual signal readings?  

ah42
HDMI
Views: 234
Message 15 of 18

@crystallet wrote:

Curious: are you going by the number of bars?  Or actual signal readings?  

Just off of bars and the battery stats signal chart. It was definitely never yellow at home with my Turbo, and now I get yellow pretty much the whole time I'm home with my Z.

KarlBeckman
802.11n
Views: 225
Message 16 of 18

I had personally used GSAM Battery Monitor and didn't care for it, but I don't remember exactly why. 

Signal indicator yellow definitely means your phone is working hard to talk to your carrier's nearest tower and eating us battery capacity in the process.  Red means insufficient signal, no 4G connection available.

Since I'm from the two-way radio side of old Motorola, I can't speak to the two generations of smartphone radio design.  Just know that the engineers on my side work with a totally different definition of LTE RF environment.

To view actual signal strength values, both WiFi and radio, I like Network Signal Info from KAIBits. 

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 213
Message 17 of 18

I don't remember all of the details, but the ability to see those deep dive battery stats also violated security specs, and the feature was eliminated in Android.  Unless you're rooted, no app is going to be able to supply the information that it used to.

And, just so everybody knows, The phone can tell you the signal strength.  I'm upstairs and the phone is downstairs, but it's hiding in the settings somewhere.

fr4nk1yn
Vacuum Tubes
Views: 200
Message 18 of 18

@crystallet wrote:

I don't remember all of the details, but the ability to see those deep dive battery stats also violated security specs, and the feature was eliminated in Android.  Unless you're rooted, no app is going to be able to supply the information that it used to.

And, just so everybody knows, The phone can tell you the signal strength.  I'm upstairs and the phone is downstairs, but it's hiding in the settings somewhere.

It doesn't need to show "deep dive battery stats", it just neeeds to do better than the horrible stock stats.

Ex: I set up an elborate homescreen setup using Nova that had over 50 widgets. Of course the phone ran warm and battery went down quick, but stock stats didn't show Nova. GSAM picked it up in less than 15 minutes.

Top Kudoed Authors