Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto Z Phones - Mod CapableMoto Z
All Forum Topics
Options

139 Posts

07-03-2010

Brazil

13 Signins

241 Page Views

• Views: 241
  • Message 1 of 4

How does Incipio Battery MOD work?

2017-12-08, 17:47 PM

Hello guys and girls,

I've recently bought an used Moto Z and, unfortunately, I had to send it to the authorized service centre to get my battery and screen swapped (fortunately, it still has warranty).

I've been reading a lot about the device and I cannot find a single person saying the battery lasts a good time (in fact, I got 4h30 SOT which is much less than my old Galaxy S7 Edge which lasted about 6h to 8h SOT).

Anyway, I do have the Incipio MOD and I was wondering how it effectively works. I saw there are two options to choose: Default (charges to 100%) and Efficient (charges to 80%).

From my understanding, 80% is better because it will save cycles and put less strain in the battery. However, if I got it right, the MOD will keep charging the internal battery continuously to maintain it at 80% and then, when the MOD's battery is empty, the phone's battery will start discharging.

My question is: is it how the Incipio MOD works? If so, is it not bad for the battery to keep it charging continuously?

I have seen a lot of cases of a bad battery within 6 months of use, my warranty will expire at the end of December and I'm not willing to buy a new one because I have no choice but to use the MOD to extend its duration.

Thank you!

angourakis
Options

10 Posts

10-15-2014

Moldova (the Republic of)

11 Signins

109 Page Views

• Views: 109
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: How does Incipio Battery MOD work?

2017-12-08, 20:07 PM
I have never measured SOT time on my xt1650-02 with its battery but with my intensive use including GPS on all time, data traffic on, camera shooting pics and video and occasional browsing it lasted me a whole daylight time (say from 09:00 till 21:00 where there was about 45-47% remaining.
Now with incipio mod on (works in the mode of maintaining 80% of internal battery charge) without GPS but with around 40 mins of Asphal gameplay, data trafic on with intensive browsing and Viber messaging and an hour of voicetalk on cellular - it lasted from around 09:00 till 22:00 when my incipio is 0% and phone battery is 70%

I cannot advise on how it actually affects battery life however - I believe more thorough test are required as well continious use.

Yet hope it was still of some help.
Options

84 Posts

09-18-2017

Poland

206 Signins

888 Page Views

• Views: 888
  • Message 3 of 4

2017-12-08, 20:50 PM
Well I have usually less than 1,5h sot :)
This pack is charging internal phone battery in similar way to USB charger. Only interresting thing is that phone can controll it, so you don't have to fully charge phone and seems that electrical efficiency when set to 80% charge is higher than when charging up to 100%.
Please remember that battery pack is discharging itself to charge phone battery so there is not so great efficiency, better way it would be to power up phone from battery pack but I assume from electrical point of view it's very tricky to manage it when you can disconnect battery pack suddenly.
Tom
Options

139 Posts

07-03-2010

Brazil

13 Signins

241 Page Views

• Views: 241
  • Message 4 of 4

2017-12-08, 23:23 PM

wrote:
I have never measured SOT time on my xt1650-02 with its battery but with my intensive use including GPS on all time, data traffic on, camera shooting pics and video and occasional browsing it lasted me a whole daylight time (say from 09:00 till 21:00 where there was about 45-47% remaining.
Now with incipio mod on (works in the mode of maintaining 80% of internal battery charge) without GPS but with around 40 mins of Asphal gameplay, data trafic on with intensive browsing and Viber messaging and an hour of voicetalk on cellular - it lasted from around 09:00 till 22:00 when my incipio is 0% and phone battery is 70%

I cannot advise on how it actually affects battery life however - I believe more thorough test are required as well continious use.

Yet hope it was still of some help.

What worries me is how long the battery will last without having to swap it again (and having to pay for it since it'll be without warranty). From what I'm reading online, people have their Moto Z for about 6 months and the battery is already failing on them (the phone will turn off after 15 minutes or so because the battery cannot hold its charge anymore).

I had to swap mine within almost a year (and I'm really careful with my phones). Normally, I keep a phone for 2 or 2,5 years and never had to worry about the battery... But, it seems it's a common problem with the Moto Z.

wrote:
Well I have usually less than 1,5h sot :)
This pack is charging internal phone battery in similar way to USB charger. Only interresting thing is that phone can controll it, so you don't have to fully charge phone and seems that electrical efficiency when set to 80% charge is higher than when charging up to 100%.
Please remember that battery pack is discharging itself to charge phone battery so there is not so great efficiency, better way it would be to power up phone from battery pack but I assume from electrical point of view it's very tricky to manage it when you can disconnect battery pack suddenly.

1,5h SOT is almost nothing! Is it normal for your usage?

What you said "better way it'd be to power up phone from battery pack" would be, I think, the best way to keep the battery healthy, but yeah, it wouldn't be possible if it could be removed suddenly.

Actually, why not put a bigger battery in the first place? I don't care about the thickness (actually, I prefer a thicker phone because it helps holding it).

I'm seriously thinking about selling the Moto Z ... pity =(

angourakis
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms