cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rosm2004
SCSI Port
Views: 271
Message 1 of 4

How much battery time should one expect?

I have been following several threads in here complaining about battery drain and have a couple of questions. The battery on my Verizon Moto Z seems to drain a lot faster than it used to but is nowhere near as bad as some of the people are reporting in these threads. So my questions center around what I should expect. I've had several Motorolas and one Samsung phone previously and I think this has the worst battery life. 

1. How much total battery time and screen-on time should we expect from a healthy Moto Z battery? I'd say my general usage is light to moderate - check texts, email and Facebook a few minutes an hour at most.

2. How long should it last when using the camera? This is my main camera but it's really frustrating that the battery runs down so fast, especially while taking pics on vacation. I also have the True Zoom camera mod - that depletes the battery really quickly and requires a decent charge to work to begin with.

3. I also have the Incipio charger mod and have it set to keep the phone charged at 80%. While it certainly keeps the phone charged for a few more hours, it also runs down pretty fast when the phone is is in use. How much screen-on time should we expect with this addition? 

4. Someone posted the steps for performing the battery optimization and to choose "Reset app preferences". I followed the steps, and I think it helped a little, but most of my apps ask me to turn the location and other permissions back on in order to use them. What does resetting actually do? 

5. I am on the 7.1.1 update and it seems that many people started experiencing severe battery drain after this update. Some said that updating to Oreo resolved their problem, but others said that Oreo messed it up completely. I haven't seen any notification for the upgrade. Why is that (I am on Verizon)? When I receive it, should I upgrade or not?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance for any help.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 258
Message 2 of 4

Re: How much battery time should one expect?

Hi Rosm2004,

Thanks for posting. There are actually several factors we need to consider to answer at least 50% of the cause of battery depletion. One of which I'm thinking is, of course, the age of the battery - years of using the phone will definitely affect the battery's performance. The third-party applications you uninstalled are the most cause of fast battery drainage, especially those apps running in the background (If we experience crashing with these apps - it is likely draining the battery most the time - make sure to keep all apps updated, try uninstalling those apps that you seldom use). We should also consider the cellular data, wifi and Bluetooth - if you have a low cellular network/signal the phone will use its battery to search for a better signal, likewise for wifi and Bluetooth - Make sure to turn off Mobile data, wifi, Bluetooth and location if not in use. The internal memory would also affect the phone's performance, the lower the internal memory space, the higher the chance of lags. There could be more possible reasons behind all these battery life draining issue that we should consider and I personally don't have a certain answer to what exactly battery standard life of the phone should be. And as far as I know, the software upgrade won't cause battery draining, the upgrade doesn't cause these issue, instead, it will make the phone perform faster.

Try clear cache of some apps. Test the phone in safe mode and observe any improvement. Try resetting the device to its factory default settings, if everything else fails. 

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Rosm2004
SCSI Port
Views: 227
Message 3 of 4

@Agent_Rich wrote:

Hi Rosm2004,

Thanks for posting. There are actually several factors we need to consider to answer at least 50% of the cause of battery depletion. One of which I'm thinking is, of course, the age of the battery - years of using the phone will definitely affect the battery's performance. The third-party applications you uninstalled are the most cause of fast battery drainage, especially those apps running in the background (If we experience crashing with these apps - it is likely draining the battery most the time - make sure to keep all apps updated, try uninstalling those apps that you seldom use). We should also consider the cellular data, wifi and Bluetooth - if you have a low cellular network/signal the phone will use its battery to search for a better signal, likewise for wifi and Bluetooth - Make sure to turn off Mobile data, wifi, Bluetooth and location if not in use. The internal memory would also affect the phone's performance, the lower the internal memory space, the higher the chance of lags. There could be more possible reasons behind all these battery life draining issue that we should consider and I personally don't have a certain answer to what exactly battery standard life of the phone should be. And as far as I know, the software upgrade won't cause battery draining, the upgrade doesn't cause these issue, instead, it will make the phone perform faster.

Try clear cache of some apps. Test the phone in safe mode and observe any improvement. Try resetting the device to its factory default settings, if everything else fails. 

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Thanks for your response. I bought the phone at the end of December 2016, so it's less than 18 months old. I've done all the suggested steps, including a completed reset a few months ago. Have cleared the cache, calibrated battery, etc. I've uninstalled apps that I don't use. Currently, my phone is at 58%. It's been 9 hours since the last full charge but mainly in standby mode, with only 25m screen time and 41m awake while using Audible. I know this is not as bad as people are reporting, but I don't consider it satisfactory (especially if I'm using the camera and can't get to recharge easily) and really would like to know what I should expect and whether it's worth getting a new battery.

I'm surprised that you are asserting that the software upgrade won't cause the battery to drain. There have been 100s of posts in this forum about extreme battery drain after both the 7.1.1 and the 8.0. upgrades!

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 207
Message 4 of 4

Hi Rosm2004,

I understand that part. If the phone has been reset without any third-party apps installed automatically and we keep having this battery discharge issue and if it's drastic then I would suggest having the phone repaired. You can check your warranty/out of warranty repair options here

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Top Kudoed Authors