Re: Battery drops from 80% to 5%

Haha
Davyjones
Not applicable
Views: 787
Message 402 of 410

Re: Battery drops from 80% to 5%

Ignorant !!!!they will not help you people
My god can you believe how stupid these motorola moderators are always di you try this and that while the forums swarmed with the issue !!!!
Hahaha ignorant motorola
Hope you lose every customer !!!
Question still no answer....
Why set solved to this when clearly its not !!!
Whats up WHY with the battery drain that millions of motorola and lenovo users suffer????!!shame on you motorola
Rosm2004
Not applicable
Views: 712
Message 403 of 410

Re: MOTO Z EXTREME BATTERY DRAIN

I have Verizon and they replaced my phone even though it was 18 months old and out of initial warranty period.

worldpo
Not applicable
Views: 460
Message 404 of 410

Re: Moto Z battery issues

But after troubleshooting steps, the repair isn't really working for people, either.  What do you advise?

LeeZooN
Not applicable
Views: 308
Message 405 of 410

Moto Z Battery Wear - Repost

Hi, everyone!

My previous post has been deleted and I repost it again with additional screenshots.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-Z/Moto-Z-Battery-Wear/m-p/4434819

What do we all have in common? Right, battery issues just after several months of this flagman phone use. So, what Motorola did to achive this? I think I found the answer.

First of all, we need something to observe battery state. And we use Lenovo Mobile Assistant, it's a genuine software and will show us only truth Smiley Happy Second, we fully charge phone using original TurboPower charger. After the phone is fully charged start Mobile Assistant, select HW Detection -> Battery and look at the Voltage, you will see something above 4350mV. Mark this number. On my phone full charge voltage reached 4427mV.

Screenshot_20190522-110436.pngFully charged voltage

Next, we go to Battery University to the article BU-808: How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries, scroll to the Table 4 and look at the Available Stored Energy. Every 50mV above rated 4200mV will gain approximately 5% capacity. So Motorola overcharged battery on purpose just for gaining 15% additional capacity. And finally, look at the Figure 5: Effects on cycle life at elevated charge voltages, specifically at the 4.35V curve. Yes, charge your phone every day for 6 month (remember battery warranty?) and the battery will lose at least half of its original capacity.

If you download any Li-Pol Cell datasheet, for example Sony Energytec US18650S, which is used in many laptops, you can find a caution that cell voltage must never exceed 4.25V under any circumstanes. And what do we see in our phones?

What can we do to prevent excessive battery wear? Only one thing - do not fully charge the phone and do not use rapid chargers. Charging to 80% with regular charger will keep your battery healthy for several years.

Battery voltage with TurboPower charger reached deadly fantastic 4463mV.

Screenshot_20190522-101121.png80% charging voltage

angrymotoz2
Not applicable
Views: 255
Message 406 of 410

Re: Moto Z Battery Wear - Repost

This is good information. Please save the data. It may be useful if a class action is started.

Overcharging Li-Ion batteries is dangerous, and could be considered reckless.

Overcharged Li-Ion batteries is on Motorola, period. 

Glad they deleted your original post, proves they like censoring people.

Thing is, if they overcharge the batteries, the more wear, the more it matters. Its a positive feedback loop. Batteries will completely fail, catch fire, swell, and have noxious fumes eventually.

Not only is this reckless, but it could also be illegal.

LeeZooN
Not applicable
Views: 230
Message 407 of 410

@angrymotoz2

Not only is this reckless, but it could also be illegal.

I agree, this could be considered as a life limiter, which I know is againt the law in US.

Highlighted
Pamdazzle
Not applicable
Views: 279
Message 408 of 410

I know my daughter and saved up our money yo go to Disneyland and my phone was bad before but for some reason right when we got there..... no phone for pictures. 3 in total!
LeeZooN
Not applicable
Views: 167
Message 409 of 410

Motorola engineers has really nothing to say?
May be batteries are made of unobtanium and withstand those conditions...
not_satisfied
Not applicable
Views: 205
Message 410 of 410

I have the same problem. Got a new Moto Z June 2017. After almost exactly 1.5 years, suddenly was screwed with the phone suddenly shutting down when I needed it for navigation even though it had a full charge about 30 minutes beforehand.

Since then I haven't had time to deal with it, and it's just gotten worse. I did the factory reset. Didn't help at all. Right now, if I unplug it from wall power, it will dip down to 75% in about 15 minutes. If I do anything at that point, like touch anything it instantly shuts down with a low battery icon. Plug it back in to wall power. Oh now it's at 100%. Basically a $664 brick.

(To make it even more of a bad user experience, I've never been able to get the mod (true zoom) to work properly after the first couple months.)

Top Kudoed Authors