Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MTrid
Fanfold Paper
Views: 11,374
Message 81 of 416

Re: MOTO Z EXTREME BATTERY DRAIN

My Moto Z is 2 months old and worked great until the Oreo update a few days ago, since then battery life has plummeted. It's like the phone never goes to sleep, it can lose 30-40% overnight where before it was 3%. The screenshot shows a night's discharge.

I tried clearing cache partition, resetting app permissions and recalibrating the battery.

Looking at this forum it seems the next thing to try is a factory reset, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

EDIT: I tried the factory reset, I didn't install anything except automatic updates and Whatsapp, but nothing changed Smiley Sad

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 11,347
Message 82 of 416

@MTrid wrote:

My Moto Z is 2 months old and worked great until the Oreo update a few days ago, since then battery life has plummeted. It's like the phone never goes to sleep, it can lose 30-40% overnight where before it was 3%. The screenshot shows a night's discharge.

I tried clearing cache partition, resetting app permissions and recalibrating the battery.

Looking at this forum it seems the next thing to try is a factory reset, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

EDIT: I tried the factory reset, I didn't install anything except automatic updates and Whatsapp, but nothing changed Smiley Sad

Can you test in Safe Mode to see if this is an app issue? To go into Safe Mode, press the physical power key, then press and hold the pop-up "Power off" key until the Safe Mode instructions pop up. Let us know how it goes and also please share us the screenshot of the same. 

Looking at your battery status -- looks like you still have 13 hours left and altogether 20 hours of back up expected on standby.

Meanwhile, Please update your profile with current phone, carrier, and serial number -- this will help me investigate. Please make sure that the options under Settings > Motorola Privacy are on as well, and let me know (just reply here) if it's okay for me to look at your apps to see if they are a source of problems.

Update your profile -link

Thanks,

-Swaraj

If you need a reference in updating your profile, please click this link. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943
MTrid
Fanfold Paper
Views: 11,337
Message 83 of 416

Thanks for replying. I've updated my profile and enable Motorola Privacy, feel free to have a look.

As I mentioned, the phone is fresh from a factory reset anyway.

I rebooted in safe mode and will leave it that way for a while, I'll post a screenshot after leaving the phone idle for some time.
Boosh63
Punch Card
Views: 11,323
Message 84 of 416

The battery life on my 2 Moto Z's are unacceptable. One of them even had its battery replaced last Nov/Dec. I took it off the charger at 7:47am today...I took the screen shot moments ago. So so so so....disappointed.

Kalvin95
Paper Tape
Views: 11,315
Message 85 of 416

This is happening to me as well except with the 7.1 update. I had a full battery and rebooted into safety mode as instructed above while my phone was plugged in and charging and it depleted my battery all together.

Attaching picture from earlier today and bsttbat drain.  And one from safe modeScreenshot_20180425-061156.png6:11am

Screenshot_20180425-061552.png6:15am

Screenshot_20180425-084823.png100% then reboot in safe mode left me at 3%

image000000.png

image000000_01.pngTried safe mode again

image000000_02.pngNot holding a charge

Boosh63
Punch Card
Views: 11,298
Message 86 of 416

I have a client with a Moto Z and I asked him about his battery and he went off in a profanity-filled tirade. So anectdotally there is more to this than a whole bunch of us with bad batteries. That said...if the batteries are that bad. Lenovo would do well to put some replacement program in place to right the wrong. That would go a long way for me to consider ever buying another Motorola phone.

If it's software...surely they know and should at least do as BlackBerry has done in the past...admit an update did it and assure us they're working on it.

Sarah41
Punch Card
Views: 11,275
Message 87 of 416

Hello there.

Got my update to Android 8.0.0 a couple of days ago. All good until last night.

Battery plummeted after full charge. Did it again this morning so I've screen shotted to show you. Full charge, then unplugged the charger and left it idle with screen off for just 25mins and it's already down to 76%.

Tried it in Safe Mode and this seems to have stopped the problem as after 24 mins it's only down to 96%. How do I identify which app is causing the problem? Tried wiping cache partition but it didnt help.

Cheers.

Screenshot_20180425-153348.pngSafe Mode.Screenshot_20180425-092315.pngNot Safe Mode.Screenshot_20180425-100521.png

Please help!

NightcoreRaven
HDMI
Views: 11,174
Message 88 of 416

@MTrid wrote:

If I got the numbers you just showed in your screenshot I'd be one happy man. What did you use to get then? 

MTrid
Fanfold Paper
Views: 11,162
Message 89 of 416

@NightcoreRaven wrote:

@MTrid

If I got the numbers you just showed in your screenshot I'd be one happy man. What did you use to get then? 

What bothers me is the power drain on standby. Now it loses around 5% per hour, which means 40% battery gone just for being on during the night. It used to lose just a few % in a night before the update. I suspect it never goes to some kind of low power mode, still burns power like it's in use.

In fact, the power drain doesn't change that dramatically when it's in use with the screen on. I think the active time would still be the same as before, it just dies faster in standby.

I realize it's not the nightmare of people having 20 minutes battery life, but still it got worse with no reason, I assume because of the Oreo update. I got this phone + battery mod to have a nice brick with humongous battery life, now I have something that just gets through the day like most other phones, but is a brick Smiley Very Happy

BoIlIv
SCSI Port
Views: 11,129
Message 90 of 416

Re: MOTO Z EXTREME BATTERY DRAIN AFTER ANDROID 8.0.0 UPDATE

Hi,

Please do not start new threads before searching for existing threads on the same topic. It causes clutter on the site and makes it harder for us to follow an issue. There is already a long discussion on this so please post there.

Locking this thread.

so for you is the same???!!!

instead of locking the thread - read it!

and read other forums as well

Top Kudoed Authors