Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lchiu7
Fanfold Paper
Views: 24,320
Message 1 of 71

MOTO Z battery life terrible

I have a Moto Z (Verizon but not on Verizon) that runs stock 7.1.1.

Battery life is very poor. After a full charge at about 7am I won't get to about 3pm without having to charge again. Normal use is reading new (Google Play Newstand), email, a few calls and texts and very few if any videos and games.

I notice if I take the phone off the charger and start doing some activity, the percentage remainining will drop to about 90% within 30 minutes of just reading news.

Can anybody think of what I could do to address this? The phone was purchased in April 2017 so is not exactly that old. 

Thanks

Laurence Chiu
Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 23,993
Message 2 of 71

Re: MOTO Z battery life terrible

Hi lchiu7,

Your particular usage will affect how long you can go before recharging your battery. Navigating, playing games, surfing the Web, making calls and texting all use energy.  Try a Clear Cache Partition first to see if that makes any difference. You can also check this tips to extend battery life here.

Regards,
Daisy
Moto Support

lchiu7
Fanfold Paper
Views: 23,955
Message 3 of 71

Thanks Daisy. I deleted the cache partition and today anyway, the battery life is better. I will keep a watch on it.

My usage is limited to email, social media, some calls and texts and maybe a Youtube video or two. I don't play games or watch streaming video sites like Netflix etc. That being the case I would have expected much longer battery life.

Not sure how accurate this is but the Accubattery app says my battery health is 90% which is low given the phone was new in April 2017.

Laurence Chiu
benjamminh
Core Memory
Views: 23,927
Message 4 of 71

Best charging practices are to keep your phone as best you can between 40-70%. Don't run it down to zero except if you have to recalibrate the battery and the same for charging up to 100%. I've had my Z Force since August 2016 and it's at 95% according to accubattery app. Even with that it doesn't last as long as it used to do. 

lchiu7
Fanfold Paper
Views: 23,814
Message 5 of 71

I have now been running the phone for a few days after deleting the cache partition and also following the advice on conserving battery life. With minimal use I am getting 8-9 hours of battery life which is unacceptable. About not running the battery down, my phone will reach about 40% remaining at about noon after being taken off the charger at 7am. Having to charge then seems counter to the idea of having a phone that last a business day as I am not always near a charger at that time. Is there a way to determine if the battery is faulty?  Can it be replaced under warranty?

Laurence Chiu
benjamminh
Core Memory
Views: 23,801
Message 6 of 71

There are apps like accubattery that will estimate what percentage of your battery's design capacity you still have. I agree it is annoying to think one should frequently charge but that's the nature of current battery technology. Some people I think have been able to get a battery replacement under warranty, but others have not. 

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 23,726
Message 7 of 71

@lchiu7 wrote:

I have now been running the phone for a few days after deleting the cache partition and also following the advice on conserving battery life. With minimal use I am getting 8-9 hours of battery life which is unacceptable. About not running the battery down, my phone will reach about 40% remaining at about noon after being taken off the charger at 7am. Having to charge then seems counter to the idea of having a phone that last a business day as I am not always near a charger at that time. Is there a way to determine if the battery is faulty?  Can it be replaced under warranty?

I saw that you have an IMEI in your profile. Please make sure that the options under Settings > Motorola Privacy are on, and let me know (just reply here) if it's okay for me to look at your apps to see if they are a source of problems.

Also, please send some screenshots to Settings>Battery. 

Regards,
Daisy
Moto Support

lchiu7
Fanfold Paper
Views: 23,681
Message 8 of 71

HI Daisy

Thanks for the reply. I do have the Motorola Privacy settings set on so you can review my app usage. And also here are some screen shots from both Accubattery and the Android standard battery settings. In the standard Android battery settings screen the phone was fully charged at 7am and within 1:45 minutes using only some quick email checks and listening to a podcast, it had dropped to 74%. That is not really acceptable.

Screenshot_20180113-113916.pngScreenshot_20180114-083052.pngScreenshot_20180113-113907.png

Laurence Chiu
Vaiable99
Punch Card
Views: 23,658
Message 9 of 71

My battery wasn't quite that bad but certainly wasn't great, however the Oreo update made it 100% better

NightcoreRaven
HDMI
Views: 23,581
Message 10 of 71

@benjamminh wrote:

Best charging practices are to keep your phone as best you can between 40-70%. Don't run it down to zero except if you have to recalibrate the battery and the same for charging up to 100%. I've had my Z Force since August 2016 and it's at 95% according to accubattery app. Even with that it doesn't last as long as it used to do. 

Had my Z Droid since October 2016, accubattery says 87% with estimated capacity 2255. Is that around where it should normally be or is there an issue? I generally run my phone down to about 2% then charge to 100% so if it could be becuase of that then that is something I'm ok with living with. Just need to know with my usage if that sounds normal.

Top Kudoed Authors