08-27-2018

BR

9 Signins

84 Page Views

• Views: 84
  • Message 1 of 20

MOTO Z only works if plugged in

2018-08-27, 1:49 AM

I’ve own this Moto Z for about 16 months now. A couple of months ago the phone took a couple of drops on hard floor surface. It fell down from my bed, so, not so high up.

About a week or so after that Android was upgraded to OREO. Initially I noticed an increase of about 30% in battery consumption, before a full charge would be more than enough for a day, after upgraded it would not get to the end of the afternoon.

Anyway, even with higher batter consumption, the phone kept on working just fine, but few weeks later it started to behave strangely. When the battery reached about 65% the phone died and then I had to plug in. To overcome that snag I started to use continuously the Moto Power Pack that came with it. It actually worked quite well for a couple of months, getting me essentially through the day, but then it came the worst case scenarium.

The phone now ONLY works if plugged in. I can see battery indicator shows 100%, Power Pack also shows 100%, if I plug off the phone and start to run any application, even to make a call, the phone dies. When I press the Power on button, initially it shows a yellow triangle as if the battery was completely depleted and soon after that it shows the indication that the phone battery has more than 90% charge and power pack is completely full. I try to start the phone again, it starts the process and before completion it dies again. It will only work if it is plugged in.

Now, following other forum discussion on the yellow triangle issue I have already factory reset the phone twice, last time without recovery. I also gave about three hours wait after reset the phone so the full charge of the battery would adjust (this was also a forum recommendation).

I am kind of reluctant to take it to technical support and they tell me I must replace the battery hence the warranty period is already finished.

Has anyone ever come across anything like that and managed to get out of it without having to replace any parts?

My previous phone was a Moto X and it last 3 years on my hands and still going on with someone else in the family.

I really appreciate any information on this matter.

Best regards

Options

11427 Posts

03-05-2018

US

1165 Signins

157970 Page Views

• Views: 157970
  • Message 2 of 20

Re: MOTO Z only works if plugged in

2018-08-27, 19:55 PM

Hi wRodriguez,

Thanks for posting. Could you please update your profile with current phone, carrier and serial number -- this will help me investigate. Please make sure that the options under Settings > Motorola Privacy are on as well, and let me know (just reply here) if it's okay for me to look at your apps to see if they are a source of problems.

Need help updating your profile? See here

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

5 Posts

09-06-2018

AE

9 Signins

251 Page Views

• Views: 251
  • Message 3 of 20

2018-09-06, 6:08 AM
تحياتي انا ايضا لدي نفس المشكلة وارجو المساعدة وشكرا
Options

11427 Posts

03-05-2018

US

1165 Signins

157970 Page Views

• Message 4 of 20

2018-09-06, 16:12 PM

Hi Moto153,

Thanks for posting. I just google translate. Can you please further explain your concern? I'd like to help.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

5 Posts

09-06-2018

AE

9 Signins

251 Page Views

• Message 5 of 20

2018-09-06, 16:57 PM

Greetings to you, I have also the same problem and it's very difficult and location my stay in the United Arab Emirates don't know where there are parts Moto z

Options

7 Posts

08-27-2018

BR

9 Signins

84 Page Views

• Message 6 of 20

2018-09-06, 18:09 PM

Hi Agent_Rich, thanks for your response. I´ll soon proceed as you recommended, although I´m not sure if carrier makes any difference since I´m not in the US.

Just out of security concern, do you represent Motorola in any formal capacity?

I do understand that this is forum and we are looking for assistance. I hope you understand my concern in having someone accessing my device/data.

Soon as I complete the profile I´ll let you know. 

Best regards,

Options

11427 Posts

03-05-2018

US

1165 Signins

157970 Page Views

• Message 7 of 20

2018-09-07, 19:50 PM

Hi Moto153,

Thanks for confirming. I would suggest doing the battery calibration to reset the battery.

To calibrate the battery, hold the power button until the phone reboots > Plug into the supplied charger > Charge to 100% > Leave on the charger for at least an additional hour. This process will reset the battery table and allow the phone to calibrate. Let us know what happens after.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Options

5 Posts

09-06-2018

AE

9 Signins

251 Page Views

• Message 8 of 20

2018-09-15, 19:42 PM
Oops, there is no change. The same problem is always repeated. It must always be on shipping. The situation is very bad. I am in the United Arab Emirates. There is no maintenance for this mobile. Unfortunately.
Options

7 Posts

08-27-2018

BR

9 Signins

84 Page Views

• Message 9 of 20

2018-09-16, 13:58 PM

Hello @Agent_Rich,

Sorry for taking too long. The phone is all set as you asked, I've updated my profile and also set the motorola privacy to Enabled.

I appreciated if you can have a look and help me to clarify whether this is a battery issue, peharps part replacement or something else.

Just to remind, this phone has been factory reset three times now, battery calibration has also been done as recommended on the forum.

Thanks in advance.

I look forward to your reply.

Options

11427 Posts

03-05-2018

US

1165 Signins

157970 Page Views

• Message 10 of 20

2018-09-17, 16:05 PM

Hi wRodriguez,

Thanks for updating your profile. I appreciate the steps you've taken. I have checked your battery it looks like there's no improvement even after doing the reset. Keep observing the phone without installing any third-party apps and if still, we're experiencing an issue with the battery then it's most likely a hardware issue. It would be better to send the phone for repair. You can check the warranty options here.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete