Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mag555
Fanfold Paper
Views: 26,875
Message 2 of 182

Major Battery Drain After Oreo Update

Battery was fine on my Moto Z before the Oreo 8.0 update this morning. My device had full charge after the update, and now at 60% after 20 minutes of use. Wasn't doing anything strenuous on the battery, just looked at email, and registered for this forum. 

Is there a solution for this? Or once again, will us Moto Z users have to deal with the substandard battery compacity?

Jason Brown
dkman23
Paper Tape
Views: 26,942
Message 1 of 182

Re: MOTO Z EXTREME BATTERY DRAIN

Couldn't agree more!  My battery drain started only after my update to Android 8.0.0

Phone is in perfect shape, less than a year old and never had an issue prior to the update.  Now I see that I'll be at 43% one minute, then 10 minutes later I'm at 55% so I'm starting to think it's more a software thing that may not actually kill the phone if the "battery runs dead" that only the software thinks the battery is running dry???

Highlighted
Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 26,647
Message 3 of 182

Re: Major Battery Drain After Oreo Update

Hi Mag555,

Thanks for reporting. I wouldn't say for sure that this is caused by the update. I can check the battery performance of your device if you allow me. Could you please update your profile with current phone, carrier and serial number -- this will help me investigate. Please make sure that the options under Settings > Motorola Privacy are on as well, and let me know (just reply here) if it's okay for me to look at your apps to see if they are a source of problems.

Need help updating your profile? See here

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Einajr
Fanfold Paper
Views: 26,628
Message 4 of 182

I'm also having the same problem. My battery was low before but now it has died so many times today. The Moto mood used to help keep it charged but now it doesn't as well. I have you constantly connected to a charger and that was not the case before the update. 

Mag555
Fanfold Paper
Views: 26,607
Message 5 of 182

The profile update has been done. Thanks for the help.

Jason Brown
J-D1
Paper Tape
Views: 26,565
Message 6 of 182

My Motto Z Droid also has extreme battery drain after the Oreo update. After a couple of hours of lying completely dormant and unused- location off, no texts, calls or emails - the battery was down from 100% to 75%.
Bharathj
Paper Tape
Views: 26,535
Message 7 of 182

My phone battery has not been giving good performance and I charged it to 100% but i lost total 100% in just than an 2 hours after updating to the Oreo so please suggest me some information to make it to normal

Bharath
lfgcampos
Fanfold Paper
Views: 26,490
Message 8 of 182

Same problem here as I feel my battery goes down really fast after Android Oreo update.

Any news other than 'repair your phone'?

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 26,461
Message 9 of 182

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for responding on this thread. I would suggest testing it with the safe mode to make sure there's no third party to get involved with this. Also, please turn off the wifi, Bluetooth, and location when not in use. We can also turn off the wifi and bluetooth scanning in location, just go to Settings > Location >  Scanning > Toggle Off Bluetooth and Wifi.

To Enable Safe Mode
1. Press and hold the Power button until Power off comes up on the screen.
2. Touch and HOLD Power off on the screen until reboot to safe mode appears.
3. Touch OK when Reboot to safe mode appears

Please let me know if there's any improvement. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

bugzbunny
What's DOS?
Views: 26,381
Message 10 of 182

Re: Moto Z Erratic Battery Discharge/Phone Shutting Off

My Moto Z started this battery issue after updating to Oreo. It was working fine until after the update. I wish I could downgrade to Nougat. I can't use my phone anymore without PowerBank plugged into my device or a wall charger. I am out of warranty. This problem is becoming an epedemia, a major problem to all motoral users. And to tell you this phone is so freaking expensive but not worth for the price. 

Top Kudoed Authors