cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BryanOnTheRun
Paper Tape
Views: 1,707
Message 51 of 180

Re: Moto Z Oreo Battery - is anyone from Lenovo working on it?

Rich, updated profile and you have permission to access.  Thank you

BryanOnTheRun
Paper Tape
Views: 1,700
Message 52 of 180

At 13:22 (CDT) today my phone went from ~80% to powered off, when the phone rang (phone was actually sitting with no activity) until the ring started.  At least I think it was a ring, since the phone powered off I'm not sure.

laroze
Paper Tape
Views: 1,690
Message 53 of 180

I did not ask the question "what's DOS?". Just looking for a solution. Verizon said I needed a new phone, but this one isn't even paid for. My phone has everything shut off than I can, must be plugged in at all times to work at all.
BryanOnTheRun
Paper Tape
Views: 1,649
Message 54 of 180

More troubleshooting notes.

1.  Safe Mode does not resolve the problem, went from 100% to shut down after viewing two browser pages.  After restart it reported < 10% battery

2.  Incipio Battery pack does not matter, with it attached or removed the issue still occurs.

3.  WiFi or VZW Wireless only does not matter, I can use either one and see the issue.

4.  Airplane mode does not help.  I went from 90% to shutdown just by opening the Camera App.  After restart it reported < 10% battery.

To me, this is indicitive of either a bad battery, or the changes in the Oreo code are misreading the battery.  Since there are a large number of users all complaining about variations of this issue, and it only starting happening after the Oreo upgrade, I suspect the upgrade.  This is especially true since having an external battery pack does not help.

Is it possible to revert to Nuegat, since that is the last known good code?   Is it possible to get a copy of the test results that Lenovo ran prior to accepting Oreo as valid code?

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 1,605
Message 55 of 180

Hi BryanOnTheRun,

Thanks for updating. I appreciate those steps. I checked your apps it looks like Waze, Sunbit, and Movescount are the apps that frequently crashing. It could cause an issue with the battery, I would suggest try uninstalling these apps and see if the battery would improve. Let me know. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

BryanOnTheRun
Paper Tape
Views: 1,603
Message 56 of 180

I just factory reset my phone, and installed a few apps, I'll see how that works.

I'm guessing that you meant FitBit and not Sunbit (never heard of that one).  Those apps may be the ones frequently crashing, since they are the ones I use the most.

BryanOnTheRun
Paper Tape
Views: 1,594
Message 57 of 180

After letting my phone sit on my desk (screen off) for the last 90 minutes I am now at 80% charge (due to my Incipio charging the main battery, the Incipio is at 95%) Breakdown since the last full charge reports Mobile Network Standby 21% System (1% used by Android OS) 17% Apps (0% used by Google Play services) 17% Phone idle 13% Wi-Fi 2% Bluetooth 1% Battery Page also reports Screen usage since full charge 2m
Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 1,543
Message 58 of 180

Hi BryanOnTheRun,

Thanks for trying. It looks like there's really something draining the battery. It could more like be a hardware causing an issue. Try resetting the phone without restoring any apps or files, set up as new and see how it goes within 24 hours. If the issue persists I would suggest having the phone repaired. You can check your warranty options here.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 1,568
Message 59 of 180

Hi laroze,

I can check your apps to see if it's causing the issue if you allow me. Could you please update your profile with current phone, carrier and serial number -- this will help me investigate. Please make sure that the options under Settings > Motorola Privacy are on as well.

Need help updating your profile? See here. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

BryanOnTheRun
Paper Tape
Views: 1,553
Message 60 of 180

After letting it sit for 24 hours, it did not behave any better. I do not believe that it is a HW failure, since it just started failing after the upgrade to Oreo. Also, even if the battery was draining, the attached Moto Mod never showed any signs that it was being used to supplement the onboard battery (after restarting it always showed the same percentage that it had prior to the shutdown). There are lots of posts on this forum with people seeing the same issue, perhaps the HW failure is the fact that the Oreo upgrade cannot run unless the phones are in a relatively new state (older phones where the battery isn't 100%, but still had enough to run Nuegat without issues). Even though I have multiple Moto Mods, and have been with Motorola phones since the original Droid phone was released, I now longer trust Motorola as a quality company. I had considered waiting until the Razr 3 was released, but am switching to Samsung.
Top Kudoed Authors