cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 1,278
Message 71 of 182

Re: Moto Z Oreo Battery - is anyone from Lenovo working on it?

@sk2andy wrote:

Rixh, please stop telling everyone that the problem comes from installed apps or any hardware defects. It's your Oreo update and you know that. Many customers complaining about massive battery drains after the update! I am frustrated by your support! Please provide us an update that fixes the issue. I am Android developer and I know pretty much about the whole Android system. So please stop lying to your customers and tell the truht!

Please, never ever accuse anyone of lying unless you have facts...and in this case there are no facts to be had that back up your statement.

Consider this: if the operating system were at fault, every single phone running that build would exhibit the same symptoms...but they're not.  Something other than the operating system is causing your battery drain:  hardware or third party apps.  If the phone exhibits the same big drain in safe mode, the problem is hardware driven.  If the phone stops draining rapidly in safe mode, the drain is caused by your third party app(s).

BryanOnTheRun
Paper Tape
Views: 1,278
Message 72 of 182

Crystallet,

I beg to differ, if only due to the fact that there are a large number of users whose batteries all of a sudden started to fail, just after Oreo was pushed.  Can you post test reports for Oreo on handsets that are over 1 year old, as opposed to ones with fresh batteries?  My phone worked fine, until Oreo was pushed, even though it was 20 months old.   Are you (as a Lenovo Rep) stating that the expected battery life on your phones is less then 2 years?

Also, why I disagree:

1.  My phone drains even with a Moto Mod attached, yet the Moto Mod does not show any drain after I repower the Droid.

2.  If there is still a big drain in Safe Mode, it could be the OS is at fault, and not any Apps.  This is the point that we are trying to make, the OS upgrade is killing us.

The easiest way to prove, at least to me, what the issue is, is to provide instructions that will allow for a rollback to "N"

sk2andy
Paper Tape
Views: 1,265
Message 73 of 182

Crystalet,

okay. Let's go to the facts: safe mode in Android uses the exact same operating system. So if you just have a bug in your ROM safe mode is telling you nothing about a hardware defect.

Second: the Android bootloader is telling me that my battery health is good. So everything should be fine

Third: the device is running at least at 600 MHz even in deep sleep over night... And maybe that's the problem Smiley Wink And I know what you are going to think: the background processes of my apps prevented the phone going to sleep mode. Well, I limited background processes to none via developer tools...

Fourth: You are some kind of trying to tell us that it is a coincidence for many users that the battery drain occured right after the Oreo update? A series of random hardware deffects? Or do you think that we installed some heavy apps right after the update? And if an app doesn't work that well with oreo: isn't it your fault? I mean as a software developer you just use the Android SDK and if there wasn't any battery drain before the update and there is one after the update there is something wrong with your operating system (you changed something and blame apps to be more power consuming after the update)

And if you are talking about facts: provide us some facts or didn't you make some tests? For the sake of transparency Smiley Wink

SheriL
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,342
Message 74 of 182

Re: Extereme battery drainage of Moto z

No luck doing any of the suggested repairs. Factory data reset without auto install of apps did nothing. Motorola said they suggest replacing the phone, of course with a price tag. This phone isn't even 2 years told yet. I shouldn't have to pay my carrier for a phone that doesn't work plus pay for a replacement!

SheriL
Fanfold Paper
Message 75 of 182

Re: Major Battery Drain After Oreo Update

I'm in the same boat. I don't feel I can trust Motorola again as they won't even stand by these issues.

SheriL
Fanfold Paper
Message 76 of 182

Maybe it is time for us to contact someone other than Motorola????? People need to know how Motorola refuses to stand behind their product.

Einajr
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,313
Message 77 of 182

I'm always amazed how quickly Apple starts to address things with they are widely discussed in the media or class action suits.
undecided1999
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,242
Message 78 of 182

Moto Z less than a year old, battery drain issues after Oreo update

Right after the Oreo update literally the very next day, the battery started to drain very quickly, within 1-3 hours it would be down to empty from 100 percent. Rebooting the phone would bring it down by 30% or more. It occasionally decides to completely turn itself off now.

p.s. tried to battery 'calibration' method described here, it provided no change.

striker666
Punch Card
Views: 1,179
Message 79 of 182

Another battery drain last night, went to sleep it was 44%, woke up to zero %. Charged back up to 100% and oddly when I checked battery specs it said last full charge was 47 days ago. I've sent an email to Motorola support.

undecided1999
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,141
Message 80 of 182

Re: Moto Z less than a year old, battery drain issues after Oreo update

I am convinced this is just really bad OS. Oreo is no good. Ran the phone in safe mode, battery life was fine. Went back and ran it in normal mode and went to the battery settings for each app and set it to not run in the background but that did not change anything. Battery still drains extremely fast. Anyway to go back to Nougat? Motorola support, I will be sending the phone back if we do not get a solution shortly. Thx

p.s. I see the same complains about Oreo on the Google Pixel phone. It seems that Google updated some API that has to do with battery management and apps that are not compliant with that API can misbehave. It is the most idiotic update to an OS I have ever seen, the default behaviour should have been that any apps that are not compliant SHOULD NOT be allowed to use the battery when in the background.  Even a component of the OS seems to not be compliant. 

Top Kudoed Authors