Views: 1,207
Message 81 of 180

Re: Moto Z less than a year old, battery drain issues after Oreo update

undecided1999
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,201
Message 82 of 180

Has anyone done this? I do not see any feedback. I would rather have Mororola/Lenovo provide an official rollback procedure.
Maelfa
Punch Card
Views: 1,192
Message 83 of 180

No...this is not just an Oreo issue. Go and read numerous posts from the past. This same thing happened to me right after I downloaded Nougat 7.1.1 system update.
It has to do with the crappy Moto phones. For some reason the phones can't handle a new OS download. Not sure if it's because Moto uses such crap batteries or if it's something else. The moral of the story is...not to buy a Moto phone...or, if have option, to never do any system updates.
Unfortunately Moto phones are not like they use to be.
undecided1999
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,166
Message 84 of 180

Maelfa, I see the same issues on Samsung forums and Pixel forums. Again I think google android is a poor excuse for an OS at least from the perspective of backward compatibility.

p.s. The fact that it is an Oreo issue does not insulate Motorola from the fact that THEY released it to their customers. They are in fact responsible for the complete satisfaction of their customers as it pertains to performance of their product.  This seems to be a prevalent enough issue where it should have been escalated to upper management at least in the support division. I question if the abscence of that evidence is poor training and poor support for the field agents that have to deal with this. Do they even have the avenue of escalating to more knowledgeable personnel? It is not evident that they do. They keep repeating the mantra of 'it's the app's fault or the battery's fault'. 

Anonymous_User
Not applicable
Views: 1,164
Message 85 of 180

Re: Major Battery Drain After Oreo Update

Matt, I'm having the same issue, although not as severely as some.  I can get through about 7-8 hours of normal use before the low battery warnings start, but again, this all started on July 27 with the upgrade to Oreo.  Could it be that some of the apps need to be upgraded, too?

Anyway, I've updated my profile and confirmed the Motorola privacy settings are set to "on".  And yes, you may look at my apps to see if there's a problem there.  Thanks!

BillyM
Paper Tape
Views: 1,165
Message 86 of 180

Android 8.0 is killing my phone

My troubles with this phone started about 3 weeks ago when I "upgraded' to Android 8.0. Afterwards, it started running hot, and exhibited much higher battery drain. After a few days of this, wi-fi stopped working. I went to a Verizon store (my carrier), and they exhausted their tricks with no resolution. They suggested calling Verizon tech support and/or doing a factory data reset (FDR). Of course, I can't back up my phone before an FDR, unless I want to do it over Data, and burn through my data allowance for the month. I did an FDR anyway... no difference. After that FDR, it started doing different things just about every day. About 2 days after the FDR, it stopped running hot. It was downright cool. After a full day at work, it was only down to about 70% (I don't use it much while at work). Wi-fi still didn't work, though, but when I would try to enable wi-fi, it would say "no networks found". The next day, I rebooted it, and it started running hot again. It looked like it wasn't properly detecting the cell tower signals. It was always showing low signal, which, of course, causes the phone to increase it's tx power. I rebooted, and it seemed to get a little better. It started showing higher signal level, and running a little cooler, but still too hot, and too much battery drain. I would reboot 2 or 3 times a day, hoping something would "reset" and start working again. I started using airplane mode to let it cool down, and preserve battery. Otherwise, it had to stay on the charger pretty much all the time. After a couple of more days, the wi-fi behavior changes. It still won't work, but now it stopped even showing wi-fi enabled, even with the "switch" set to on. I would hit the switch to turn it on, and it would turn green, but below that it showed "Wi-Fi is off". I tried to do a shut down and reboot, but now it won't shut down. It gets stuck on the power down screen. Airplane mode also no longer lets it cool down. It keeps running hot. I call Verizon tech support, and they quickly exhaust their tricks (including another FDR) as well, and concluded that it's likely a defective phone with a (well documented) wi-fi hardware defect. So they connect me to Mororola tech support. I went through 3 levels of support with Motorola. They attempted no troubleshooting. All I got out of them was, "Your phone is out of warranty. All we can do is a $150 replacement".

Motorola/Lenovo has finally convinced me to do something I never thought I'd do. Switch to Apple. 

I'm an electrical engineer in a product support/quality engineering position, and we wouldn't DREAM of not replacing a defective product, even if not covered under warranty, so long as it was actually defective, and not damaged by the customer. If it were a field failure (the worst kind of failure), we would want to get the defect back in house so we could troubleshoot it, and determine whether the problem was design related, or manufacturing related, and formulate a corrective action. Motorola only seems to be interested in getting another $150 out of me. They have no interest in diagnosing the problem. Unless their customer support changes, they will never be geting another dime out of me. I am NOT going to pay Motorola more money because they sold me a defective phone. If anything, Motorola needs to be overnighting me a new phone, and asking me to return the defective one for troubleshooting.
Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 1,139
Message 87 of 180

Re: Android 8.0 is killing my phone

Hi BillyM,

I appreciate the steps you've tried. I'd like to help. Could you please update your profile too, the instruction is given above. Thank you.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

BillyM
Paper Tape
Views: 1,126
Message 88 of 180

Done.
Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 1,047
Message 89 of 180

Hi BillyM,

Thanks for updating your profile. I'm still seeing some apps crashing after doing the fdr. I'd like to confirm, did you reinstall your third-party apps right after doing the reset? If so, we need to observe the phone without any third-party apps running. Try resetting the phone again without reinstalling any third-party apps, this way we can have a better observation.  Let me know. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

BillyM
Paper Tape
Views: 1,054
Message 90 of 180

I installed a couple of apps, but far fewer than I had. All app installations have to done using cellular data now, so I only installed a couple that I really needed. But I've also switched my phone # over to another phone. Can remote troubleshooting still be performed on this phone? Right now, it's at home with the battery drained, since I can no longer get it to do a proper shut down.
Top Kudoed Authors