Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ah42
HDMI
Views: 1,262
Message 1 of 5

Major freezing/lag issues

So, my Moto Z has been having total system freezes where the touch screen doesn't respond nor does the power button nor does the fingerprint reader. For a while, this was a rare occurence but it has been happening more and more recently. When it happens it will just hang for a minute or two and eventually it will work again. But that minute or two where I can't use my phone has happened at really inconvenient times like while I'm navigating in google maps or on the phone.

The fact that I don't see a lot of other users talking about this makes me think I just have faulty hardware. I've been trying to get a video of it happening but I usually don't have another device on me to record the video when it happens. I've already tried clearing the cache, but not a factory data reset because it would be a huge pain to set up my phone again without root and titanium backup. I should also mention that I almost always have the incipio wireless charging mod on the phone due to the small internal battery. Also, the on screen navigation buttons seem to disappear when this happens.

Versions:

Build - MCL24.246-36

(Well I just got another freeze while trying to find the moto mod version, go figure)

Moto Mods - 1.1

Incipio Mod - 0.42

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 1,232
Message 2 of 5

Re: Major freezing/lag issues

Let's see if we can eliminate either software or hardware.  Have you tried running the phone in safe mode?  Conflicting software can cause the symptoms you describe.

ah42
HDMI
Views: 1,228
Message 3 of 5

So I tried booting into safe mode and everything worked normally. But even in regular boot mode it will work normally for a long time before it will start randomly freezing on me. I don't have a specific recipe to recreate the freezing issue. So how can I pinpoint it with it being random and no way for me to recreate it?

Also, I have TON of apps, so installing those one by one and waiting for the freeze to occur again would take a very long time.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 1,216
Message 4 of 5

Everything you describe points to some poorly behaving app using up RAM or CPU over time.... 

You will have to try to identify the app and uninstall it. There are other 3rd party tools that may make it easier to find, but i don't have anything specific to recommend. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Motorola Admin Motorola Admin
Motorola Admin
Views: 1,148
Message 5 of 5

@ah42 wrote:

So I tried booting into safe mode and everything worked normally. But even in regular boot mode it will work normally for a long time before it will start randomly freezing on me. I don't have a specific recipe to recreate the freezing issue. So how can I pinpoint it with it being random and no way for me to recreate it?

Also, I have TON of apps, so installing those one by one and waiting for the freeze to occur again would take a very long time.

I agree with AlphaDog. What you are describing does not sound like a phone issue. How much free storage do you have? 

If you like, I can use your IMEI to take a look -- if some app is really misbehaving it sometimes shows in our check-in data. I can also look for low memory. Let me know.

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Top Kudoed Authors