Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Evilegi
Paper Tape
Views: 469
Message 1 of 7

Moto Z - 360 Camera Mod - 360 Camera Lens Coating Damage

Hi Team!

I've been very careful about keeping the cover on my 360° camera Moto Mod however I started noticing at one point that all my pictures and videos are blurry in a spot on the front camera. I cleaned the lens off with water and a soft cloth and yet again the pictures still have a blurry spot after closer inspection of the lens it didn't look like any contamination was on it so I lightly took my fingernail and scratched at the surface. This made the spot worse when I take pictures and it looked like there is some kind of surface coating on the lens that when removed reduces the quality of the picture? This doesn't make sense though that a coating on the lense should so easily rub off. Is there anything you can do to help me?

Sincerely,

Sarah

Motorola Admin Motorola Admin
Motorola Admin
Views: 417
Message 2 of 7

Re: Moto Z - 360 Camera Mod - 360 Camera Lens Coating Damage

@Evilegi wrote:

Hi Team!

I've been very careful about keeping the cover on my 360° camera Moto Mod however I started noticing at one point that all my pictures and videos are blurry in a spot on the front camera. I cleaned the lens off with water and a soft cloth and yet again the pictures still have a blurry spot after closer inspection of the lens it didn't look like any contamination was on it so I lightly took my fingernail and scratched at the surface. This made the spot worse when I take pictures and it looked like there is some kind of surface coating on the lens that when removed reduces the quality of the picture? This doesn't make sense though that a coating on the lense should so easily rub off. Is there anything you can do to help me?

Sincerely,

Sarah

We checked and were told there is no coating -- it's just a glass lens. I was wondering if something may have gotten into the boot and rubbed off on the lens? Is that possible?

- Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Evilegi
Paper Tape
Views: 285
Message 3 of 7

Hi Matt! 

My email never sent notification of your response so I'm sorry I'm so late in responding to this. I took really good glass cleaner and cleaned both lenses 2x with a soft microfiber cloth. Unfortunetly the blurry spots still show up in the video/photos. What can I do about this? Is it possible something got inside the lense on one side?

Edit: I took a look at the front lense and it is tiny and hard to see except in the perfect lighting but there are several /\/\/\ marks in a tiny triangle on one part of the front lense.  I have insanely good eye sight so to the normal person they wouldn't even notice them.

Sincerely,

Sarah

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 269
Message 4 of 7

Hi Evilegi,

Thanks for writing back to us. If I understand you correctly the photos and the videos are blurry with spots? Would you mind sending us a sample picture or video of the shots you've taken using the mod, also, a picture of the lens of the mod? It will help us investigate. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Evilegi
Paper Tape
Views: 250
Message 5 of 7

Hi Rich!

Here is an example photo, you can see my eyes/face are blurry where everything else is clear.

-Sarah

Highlighted
Evilegi
Paper Tape
Views: 249
Message 6 of 7

Hi Rich!

Here is a photo of the lens itself, you can tell there is some kind of issue with the glass but it is much easier to see in person.

-Sarah

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 215
Message 7 of 7

Hi Evilegi,

Thanks for the screenshots, I appreciate it. I can see the little scratch on the lens and the sample photo looks normal to me unless I zoom it in - there's a little blurry spot on the edges. Could you please try to take another sample photos with you at the center, just to see if there would be any difference? Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support