cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mark-s
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,327
Message 1 of 15

Moto Z - Battery Problem / Crashes (Oreo)

Hi,

I updated my Moto Z a few days ago, and since then I have got serious battery problems.

Problem description:

1. I charge my phone to 100℅

2. I use it for a while

3. It crashes at ~50-75℅

4. I turn it on again

5. The battery is now empty

Screenshot_20180513-174555.png

I purchased a Moto Z battery mod to solve this issue, but this is still unacceptable. I cannot reset my phone again. I have already done it 3 (!) times because of faulty updates, and a full reset takes me about a day to restore all data. Don't you guys check the updates before you release them? ... Smiley Frustrated You cannot just released an unstable update. I did not have this problem with other manufacturers. It's a great pity, because I really like the phone and its mods which are awesome...

I will now try to clear the cache, but this did not help with the last update issues, so I do not think that this will work this time.

mark-s
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,281
Message 2 of 15

Re: Moto Z - Battery Problem / Crashes (Oreo)

Update: OK, the regular crashes still occur. However, I am not so sure if the battery problem still persists. 

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 3,194
Message 3 of 15

Hi mark-s,

Thanks for posting. Could you please update your profile with current phone, carrier and serial number -- this will help me investigate. Please make sure that the options under Settings > Motorola Privacy are on as well, and let me know (just reply here) if it's okay for me to look at your apps to see if they are a source of problems.

Need help updating your profile? See here

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

mark-s
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,188
Message 4 of 15

Hi Rich,

Thanks for your reply.

I am not comfortable with granting Lenovo unrestricted access to my data. However, I  could give you some information about my device and the apps I have installed (300 in total). For example, I could send you a list of my apps. Please let me know if this could help to solve the issue and which information you need from me.

Best regards,

Mark

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 3,147
Message 5 of 15

Hi mark-s,

I understand. Are those 300 apps are third-party apps? Let's try to boot the phone into safemode for a couple of hours. Then let me know if the issue will persist. (All third party apps will be disabled in safemode but can still use your default apps).

To Enable Safe Mode

1. Press and hold the Power button until Power off comes up on the screen.

2. Touch and HOLD Power off on the screen until reboot to safe mode appears.

3. Touch OK when Reboot to safe mode appears

4. Phone will reboot and Safe Mode will appear in bottom left corner

5. If the issue does not remain in safe mode, this indicates a third party application installed from the Play Store is causing the problem.

6. Restart the device to get out of safe mode and uninstall any recently installed applications.

*** Begin by looking for specific application types such as launchers, task killers or anti-virus apps.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

mark-s
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,932
Message 6 of 15

Hi Rich,

Thanks for your reply.

Of course, they are third-party apps. I do not think that Lenovo offers 300 apps... do they? Smiley Very Happy

I used the phone in safe mode for a few days, and the problem still occurs. It would be great if Motorola could solve this issue in the next update. A rollback to Android 7 would also be acceptable for me, but I do not know if this were possible... Smiley Indifferent

Is there a trick to reset the battery calibration for the device without root? Maybe this would solve the problem.

Thanks

Mark

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 2,890
Message 7 of 15

Hi mark-s,

Thanks for the update. Yeah, I mean it's just quite a lot of apps. Try uninstalling few apps that you're not using especially those apps that are frequently crashing. Battery draining would always depend on how many apps are running in the background and how often you use the phone. We can perform battery calibration press the hold the power button for 7-10 seconds > Then charge the phone > Let it charge until 100% full and leave it there for another 1-2 more hours. And in regards to the rollback, we don't have any native ways to do that. Let me know if you have further question. Thank you. 

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

misradebu
Paper Tape
Views: 2,602
Message 8 of 15

I have Moto Z and fitted with moto mod battery. My phone was working fine but after the security update few days back, I am facing same. My original battery draining fast but mod keeps it alive for 4-5 hours. Every restart battery drops by 60-70%.

Also phone crashes at 40-45% Battery. And shows 0% battery on lock screen when connected to charger.

Surprisingly the phone gets full charge within 15-20 minutes with normal charger (Turbo charger didnt work after 2-3 months of purchase)

I have tried everything, cleaned cache, checked viruses, cleaned ram, forced stopped few applications and also disbled background application running.

Not getting any improvement

I have no new application installed recently. Few which I installed I removed them Visiting China tomorrow, am worried. Please suggest resolution at the earliest

misradebu
Paper Tape
Views: 2,601
Message 9 of 15

Also phone crashes at 40-45% Battery. And shows 0% battery on lock screen when connected to charger.

Surprisingly the phone gets full charge within 15-20 minutes with normal charger (Turbo charger didnt work after 2-3 months of purchase)

I have tried everything, cleaned cache, checked viruses, cleaned ram, forced stopped few applications and also disbled background application running.

Not getting any improvement

mark-s
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,577
Message 10 of 15

I have uninstalled all apps except for WhatsApp, AquaMail, DomiNations, Banking4A, GPX Viewer and BoxToGo and the issue still persists. The problem is definitely caused by a faulty update and NOT by an app. Please fix this issue...