Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AquaBlue05
SCSI Port
Views: 1,831
Message 1 of 16

Moto Z Continuously Freezing and Restarting

Hello Team,

I am having a Moto Z (XT-1650-03) mobile, which is now out of warrently running on Android Oreo.

Its having a very strange issue where it freezes and restarts automatically, this continues till battery drains or if I manages to switch off the device.

Note that I have performed complete factory reset and done full recovery via recovery mode (power+Volume Down) >> Recovery mode >> (power+Volume up). But all in vein and problem still persists.

Kindly advise as what should be my next action plan.

Regards
AquaBlue05
Cabrales
Paper Tape
Views: 1,826
Message 2 of 16

Re: Moto Z Continuously Freezing and Restarting

I have the same problem with the Moto x4, in my phone the problem was the sd card. Try retirig the card, cleaning in the pc and give it format with the phone. In my case this it the solution.

I hope that it serves you, regards, Cabrales.

AquaBlue05
SCSI Port
Views: 1,821
Message 3 of 16

Hello Cabrales,

Thanks for your suggestion.

Actually Moto Z doesn't supports SD Card, it only has an internal memory of 64GB.

I have already performed factory reset and done recovery from recovery mode.

Regards
AquaBlue05
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 1,820
Message 4 of 16

@AquaBlue05 wrote:

Hello Team,

I am having a Moto Z (XT-1650-03) mobile, which is now out of warrently running on Android Oreo.

Its having a very strange issue where it freezes and restarts automatically, this continues till battery drains or if I manages to switch off the device.

Note that I have performed complete factory reset and done full recovery via recovery mode (power+Volume Down) >> Recovery mode >> (power+Volume up). But all in vein and problem still persists.

Kindly advise as what should be my next action plan.

If you did a factory data reset and tested BEFORE installing or restoring ANY apps, and problem persists, then service/repair/replace is next step.

Does it still do this with NO apps installed after  a fresh factory reset?

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
AquaBlue05
SCSI Port
Views: 1,801
Message 5 of 16

Hello Alpha,

Yes, the issue still persists when I boot my phone normally. But note that the phone is running all well in the safe mode (no freeze, no restarts).

Regards
AquaBlue05
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 1,799
Message 6 of 16

@AquaBlue05 wrote:

Hello Alpha,

Yes, the issue still persists when I boot my phone normally. But note that the phone is running all well in the safe mode (no freeze, no restarts).

If it runs ok in safe mode, it should run after a reset - before any apps are installed. If you run it for an extended time after in safe mode, or after a reset with NO apps restored or installed, and it works fine, then you know an app is to blame. Fiding which one is the challenge. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
AquaBlue05
SCSI Port
Views: 1,797
Message 7 of 16

Hello Alpha,

Please lemme clear the situation here.

I did the factory reset and performed recovery (plz advise, should I do recovery or not?).

After this, I haven't installed any single 3rd party Application or performed data backup or configured my gmail account.

When I boot into normal mode, it still hangs and restarts...but when I boot into safe mode it works well for long...

Regards
AquaBlue05
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 1,777
Message 8 of 16

@AquaBlue05 wrote:

Hello Alpha,

Please lemme clear the situation here.

I did the factory reset and performed recovery (plz advise, should I do recovery or not?).

After this, I haven't installed any single 3rd party Application or performed data backup or configured my gmail account.

When I boot into normal mode, it still hangs and restarts...but when I boot into safe mode it works well for long...

I don't understand your second statement "performed recovery" - what did you do in recovery? Did you restore from backup? If not, please explain what "performed recovery" means. 

A reset is a reset and should result in out of the box condition. Reset, setup as new (not restore  from backup) and test. Test without any sd card. 

AquaBlue05
SCSI Port
Views: 1,771
Message 9 of 16

Hello Alpha,

I am referring to wipe cache and wipe data/factory reset from recovery mode via API:3.

Please refer the attached screenshot for the same...

Regards
AquaBlue05
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 1,769
Message 10 of 16

@AquaBlue05 wrote:

Hello Alpha,

I am referring to wipe cache and wipe data/factory reset from recovery mode via API:3.

Please refer the attached screenshot for the same...

In my opinion, a reset is a rest. If your phone is still not right after a reset and before installing anything, then time for service. But do test without SIM or SD card to rule out those too. 

Top Kudoed Authors