Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atomiclemur
Paper Tape
Views: 4,194
Message 1 of 40

Moto Z - Dies when using camera, dies at random times

My Moto Z that I have had for a little less than a year dies everytime I use the camera, no matter what the battery level is. I then have to plug it into the charger to get it to turn back on. This issue started about a month ago. 

It will also die randomly when the battery is not drained. Yesterday it was at 23% and turned off while checking my emails. The yellow triangle sign and the red exclamation mark were on the screen. I cleared my cache and re-booted and still it happened today. I went to use the camera and it turned off after taking two pictures.

cnrcnky
Punch Card
Views: 4,061
Message 2 of 40

Re: Moto Z - Dies when using camera, dies at random times

I have same issue. Probably its related with extreme battery drain after 7.1.1

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 4,000
Message 3 of 40

@atomiclemurwrote:

My Moto Z that I have had for a little less than a year dies everytime I use the camera, no matter what the battery level is. I then have to plug it into the charger to get it to turn back on. This issue started about a month ago. 

It will also die randomly when the battery is not drained. Yesterday it was at 23% and turned off while checking my emails. The yellow triangle sign and the red exclamation mark were on the screen. I cleared my cache and re-booted and still it happened today. I went to use the camera and it turned off after taking two pictures.

Hi, atomiclemur.

We are sorry to hear about that, Can you test in Safe Mode to see if this is an app issue? To go into Safe Mode, press the physical power key, then press and hold the pop-up "Power off" key until the Safe Mode instructions pop up. Please observe it for a while and let us know if that makes any difference?

Meanwhile, please update your profile with current phone, carrier, and serial number -- this will help me investigate. Please make sure that the options under Settings > Motorola Privacy are on as well, and let me know (just reply here) if it's okay for me to look at your apps to see if they are a source of problems.

Thanks,

-Swaraj

If you need a reference in updating your profile, please click this link. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943
Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 3,999
Message 4 of 40

@cnrcnkywrote:

I have same issue. Probably its related with extreme battery drain after 7.1.1

Hi, cnrcnky.

Sorry about the issues, it is possible that the issue could be caused by the battery. A lot of factors including in restarting the device. It is always good to perform clear data/cache on the application causing issue or glitch. However as requested above -Could you also test in safe mode and let us know if that helps? Also, please update your profile this will help us investigate further.

Thanks,

-Swaraj

If you need a reference in updating your profile, please click this link. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943
miljohns
Punch Card
Views: 3,823
Message 5 of 40

Did anyone get any resolution to this one? My wife's Moto Z is having the same/similar issues. It randomly dies while using the camera if the battery is somewhat low, and it randomly dies doing anything even at 25%. 

atomiclemur
Paper Tape
Views: 3,646
Message 6 of 40

My phone still does this even in safe mode. I tried taking pictures while in safe mode, it took 3 pictures and then went black. It will do this with any app open. Sometimes it does it when I wake it up and no apps are open. It seems like there is no rhyme or reason when or why it does this. 

Highlighted
Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 3,626
Message 7 of 40

@atomiclemur wrote:

My phone still does this even in safe mode. I tried taking pictures while in safe mode, it took 3 pictures and then went black. It will do this with any app open. Sometimes it does it when I wake it up and no apps are open. It seems like there is no rhyme or reason when or why it does this. 

Hi, atomiclemur.

Sorry about the ongoing issue that you have been facing, looks like a glitch in camera app version. Please go to settings > apps > camera > clear data/cache > uninstall any update > force stop the app and reboot your device. Hope this helps, let us know how it goes?

Could you also confirm if you are using micro SD card on your device?

Regards,
Swaraj

Motorola Support

atomiclemur
Paper Tape
Views: 3,617
Message 8 of 40

I will try this, but many times it has nothing to do with the camera. It will just die with no apps open, or when I try to check email or Facebook or ESPN, or pretty much anything  

Ox2
Punch Card
Views: 3,614
Message 9 of 40

Welcome.  This is a known issue since the 7.1.1 update.  The update broke the battery, charging function, battery metering or all of the above.  It's a well documented problem that Moto is ignoring.  There are no fixes, resets, or repairs that will correct the issue.  One user sent their phone in for repair and it came back and still had the charging problem.  I took a video showing the problem and sent it to one of the moderators.  I received no response from them, they ignored it.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 3,609
Message 10 of 40

@Ox2 wrote:

Welcome.  This is a known issue since the 7.1.1 update.  The update broke the battery, charging function, battery metering or all of the above.  It's a well documented problem that Moto is ignoring.  There are no fixes, resets, or repairs that will correct the issue.  One user sent their phone in for repair and it came back and still had the charging problem.  I took a video showing the problem and sent it to one of the moderators.  I received no response from them, they ignored it.

Let me say what is really going on. There is no official response as to any update causing the problem you have described. This is only what some people believe. Many have sent their phones in for repair and they now work fine. One supposedly received a defective replacement unit.

As Motorola did state in one of these threads. If you have tried all the trouble shooting steps and even a factoy reset without using the backup, then your phone will need to be repaired. That's all there is. My phone which is on the same 7.1.1 update does not have any issues at all with battery or anything else. 

Also, if you send anything to a Motorola agent or a Mod like myself without being asked to we will not respond. This is a peer to peer support forum. If you need customer service you need to call your local number for it. 

Top Kudoed Authors