Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 339
Message 31 of 40

Re: Moto Z - Dies when using camera - usage shows immediate battery drain

Hi co-mtntrout,

Thanks for posting. May I know what troubleshooting steps have you tried and done so far? Please update your profile with the IMEI and other information, instruction to do so is on my previous reply. 

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

co-mtntrout
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 336
Message 32 of 40

Thanks Rich, followed the steps you had outlined for others about booting in safe mode etc. Camera still triggered same immediate battery drain. I believe all my info is updated - please let me know if you see otherwise. Would you like me to run in debug mode? Best, Marsha

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 263
Message 33 of 40

Hi co-mtntrout,

Sorry for the late reply. Are you still having an issue? Let me know. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

co-mtntrout
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 246
Message 34 of 40

Indeed - still occuring.....anything else I can do to assist in troubleshooting?

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 218
Message 35 of 40

Hi co-mtntrout,

Please make sure all apps are up to date in Playstore, also, check if you are on the latest software update. Otherwise, I would recommend doing a full factory data reset (Settings > Factory Data Reset). Back up your files before doing the reset so you won't lose any of it. Also, please do not reinstall/restore your apps and files after the reset. Observe your phone until you see improvements. If the issue persists, I would recommend having the phone repaired.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

co-mtntrout
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 197
Message 36 of 40

Thanks Rich - I did do factory reset, etc. and the problem persisted. Unfortunately I couldn't handle the frustration any longer and purchased a new phone. I have always been an advocate of Motorola phones and haven't owned another brand for decades, until now.  I hope that the team of folks at Lenovo understand how much this crazy battery issue has eroded their loyal customer following. 

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 176
Message 37 of 40

@co-mtntrout wrote:

Thanks Rich - I did do factory reset, etc. and the problem persisted. Unfortunately I couldn't handle the frustration any longer and purchased a new phone. I have always been an advocate of Motorola phones and haven't owned another brand for decades, until now.  I hope that the team of folks at Lenovo understand how much this crazy battery issue has eroded their loyal customer following. 

Looks like a hardware failure, I can't think of any possible cause for this but repair. I understand, just let me know if you need further help. Thanks. 

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Poofox
Fanfold Paper
Views: 139
Message 38 of 40

Re: Moto Z - Dies when using camera, dies at random times

Same problem.  Caused by system update.  Unaffected by factory reset. 

Symptoms:

Phone shuts off in the middle of any activity, regardless of reported battery level.  Once off it will not power on or detect any battery charge until plugged in.  Battery % changes erratically and drops fast. 

Again, this started immediately after the system update to 8.0.0 and once updated, it cannot be reverted due to the locked bootloader.  I'm seeing countless other users with this problem.  Motorola needs to fix this or face a class action lawsuit.  Many of us are past warranty and still paying for the phone. 

worldpo
Paper Tape
Views: 106
Message 39 of 40

Same as everybody else.  Updated the phone to Oreo, since then it dies when using the camera.  Factory reset et al, cleaned of apps, etc..  We are all seeing the same but probably unrecognized defect in Moto Z (gen 1? gen 1 & 2?), seemingly aggravated with the Oreo update.  Power or battery management?

Meanwhile my first generation Moto Z still works great.  Too old, but stood the test of time!

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 82
Message 40 of 40

@worldpo wrote:

Same as everybody else.  Updated the phone to Oreo, since then it dies when using the camera.  Factory reset et al, cleaned of apps, etc..  We are all seeing the same but probably unrecognized defect in Moto Z (gen 1? gen 1 & 2?), seemingly aggravated with the Oreo update.  Power or battery management?

Meanwhile my first generation Moto Z still works great.  Too old, but stood the test of time!

Thanks for trying the factory data reset. Did you restore your apps after doing the reset?

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Top Kudoed Authors