Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Morningstarr
Fanfold Paper
Views: 124,269
Message 1 of 168

Moto Z Erratic Battery Discharge/Phone Shutting Off

This issue has been happening for about a week, on both my phone and my husband's phone (also a Moto Z).

Phone operates normally while plugged in and charging, but when unplugged the battery drains at an alarming rate. It will start out at 100% and will go down to 75% within fifteen minutes. The phone will also turn off as if the battery died, even though the display says it still has 70% or 53% or 90% or whatever. Then I'll plug the phone in to charge it after it "died" and the display will say something like 22% or 8% or 62% or whatever. Then if I turn the phone back on, it will say yet another different battery percentage. There is no rhyme or reason to it. So I have no idea whether the phone is charged, or whether the display is wrong, or what. But it doesn't seem to matter as the phone still drains quickly and dies randomly.

I have tried reconditioning the battery by charging to 100% while on, turning off and charging to 100%, rinse repeat until theoretically the battery reading is the same whether on or off. This did not fix the problem.

I've tried clearing caches, uninstalling apps, clearing memory, resetting battery optimization, etc. When this issue started I was running Android 7.0 so I installed the latest system update 7.1.1 and updated all my apps. The issue is still happening.

I even rebooted into safe mode and this issue was still occurring while in safe mode. My phone is basically un-usable right now unless it is plugged in.

And again, this is happening to my husband's phone as well so it's not an isolated incident. What could this issue possibly be and how the heck can I fix it?!

J_Wsk
Blue Screen Again
Views: 123,545
Message 2 of 168

Re: Moto Z Erratic Battery Discharge/Phone Shutting Off

To strike the possibility that this is related to a third party app thats been installed, boot into safe mode by holding power off in the power menu. If safe mode doesnt replicate this, it could be due to an app and might need some self diagnosis. If still persistent, Its a known issue for the Moto Z. If under warranty, I would go straight to calling and booking a warranty service/repair.

Just to cover the possible alternatives... If warranty has expired and you want to diagnose the issue or have someone diagnose the problem, you can install a system log app (eg - matlog) and after granting permissions you can record any recurrence of these problems and have a log to pinpoint what went wrong exactly, whether it be battery, memory, kernel or an app that needs removal. This is essentially what any service repairer would do in diagnosing the phones problem before any fix. If you want to try and solve or relate the issue online I would recommend the Moto Z & General XDA Assist forum on XDA-Developers for most non-warranty based advice.

Although frustrating, I would suggest first calling Motorola and booking in for repair. I personally think its not good enough for a high end device to have such software related problems and will probably affect my choice of phone in future.

R

Jordan.
Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 123,540
Message 3 of 168

Hi Morningstarr

Can you try to recalibrate the battery and see if it helps: Press and hold the Power button until the screen goes dark, about 7-10 seconds. When the screen goes dark, release the Power button and the phone will automatically reboot. Plug the phone in and let it charge overnight, using only the charger that came in the box with the phone. Observe the battery performance within 24 hours.

Regards,
Ella
Motorola Support

Morningstarr
Fanfold Paper
Views: 123,536
Message 4 of 168

I've already tried booting into safe mode by holding power off in the power menu, and the issue was still happening even in safe mode.

I believe we are still under warranty since we bought these phones for Christmas last year...they're only like 8 months old. This is the shortest life span of any phone I've ever had, and also the most expensive.
Morningstarr
Fanfold Paper
Views: 123,524
Message 5 of 168

Hi @Moto_Ella,

I just tried your method while my phone was unplugged and it was not able to make it through the reboot cycle, so I plugged the phone in, turned it back on, and performed your reboot method while the phone was charging. I will leave it plugged in for the remainder of the day and see if the issue persists.

If this does NOT fix the problem, what is the next step?

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 123,610
Message 6 of 168

@Morningstarr wrote:

@Hi @Moto_Ella,

I just tried your method while my phone was unplugged and it was not able to make it through the reboot cycle, so I plugged the phone in, turned it back on, and performed your reboot method while the phone was charging. I will leave it plugged in for the remainder of the day and see if the issue persists.

If this does NOT fix the problem, what is the next step?

Hi Morningstarr

If the issue persists after battery recalibration, I suggest sending it in for repair/replacement. You may check this link for further options. 

- Ella

Marianello
Paper Tape
Views: 123,062
Message 7 of 168

I have the same problem since marshmallow, and still in nougat 7.1.1
I have factory reset the phone and nothing. Recalibrate battery many times and nothing. Accubattery app tells me my average battery life span is 1,300 mAh but I believe that's because the battery doesn't completely discharges...

For sure it has something to do with cheap faulty batteries (not acceptable for a hi end premium phone) or something related with software (kernel/OS) who knows!?

Since I'm out of warranty I'll try to root and install a different kernel and rom and see if the problem persist...

If that's the case I'll replace the battery and if nothing fix it I'll promise myself to never buy again a Lenovo/Motorola product. Same as I did with Samsung after my Galaxy 3.

I'm sad to realize that in order to get the BEST Android experience there's no other option than getting a pixel phone... Smiley Frustrated

Brainwonton
What's DOS?
Views: 122,823
Message 8 of 168

I have been having the exact same problem, ever since the last Android update 7.1.1 it's frustrating, and not getting any good answers or solutions. 

ebriff
Paper Tape
Views: 122,257
Message 9 of 168

My phone is having what I believe to be multiple battery issues. It has "died" twice today, in less than 4 hours since I unplugged it. Completely unusable. The first time it "died" today, the battery was 49% full. I was listening to music on my walk to work. It has never died during my commute before and I usually get to work with about a half full battery (which is still really poor compared to how well it used to last.) When it decides to battery is "dead," I cannot turn it back on until i plug it in. I plugged it in at work, it had 49% battery. Turned it on, was doing some research on the issue - seems to be a common one. I unplugged the phone when it got to 98% to go do some work. Came back to the office, and it was already down to 68%, in about 45 mins just being in my pocket. I rebooted the phone in safe mode and was attempting to go through the boot process described by Moto_Ella above....holding power button down 7-10 seconds to reboot the phone. When I started this, the phone was at 68% battery. It rebooted, had 1% battery and died immediately upon reboot. The phone was in safe mode! I have it plugged into the original charger now and it is up to 82%, in about 40 minutes. I didn't look at it as soon as I plugged it in, but I should have. Hard to say if it was actually at 1% or not. I will leave the phone plugged in until it is fully charged before turning it back on. Hopefully this will recondition the battery and fix all of this? It's dying extremely fast and also having this random shutdown issue the OP is having.

I have never wirelessly charged this phone and I never had problems until October. What is the deal? I love Moto phones and have been hardcore in their corner for years. It seems the z2's are having this exat same issue, too. This is making me seriously consider the pixel :/

ciaoMoto
Core Memory
Views: 121,224
Message 10 of 168

Exact same problem on my phone. Shuts down at random battery level usually over 50%. Random battery level after plugging in the Moto-Charger. Battery drains to shutdown in less than 2h, sometimes less, with maybe a couple minutes of SOT. 

It's seven months old, has been to warranty repair twice (bluetooth broken -> new mainboard; display defect without physical damage to the device).