Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Motodeadhead
Paper Tape
Views: 14,224
Message 11 of 159

Re: Moto Z Erratic Battery Discharge/Phone Shutting Off

Having the same issues as others on a phone that is only 14 months old. I have tried all the recommendations and still no luck. The phone charges to 100% but when you unplug it, it shuts off within seconds and shows the redline exclamation display as if the battery is dead. When you immediatley plug it in it shows battery levels at random levels and it allows you to turn it on. The phone works fine when plugged in,  but shuts off immediately if unplugged. 

There are a lot of posts on this issue with the moto Z and searches also show other products are having the same issue. I feel Motorola/Lenovo needs to accept and admit there is an issue and offer repair or replacement products. These devices are expensive and we all have invested money in a product we expect and desearve to have operate correctly for a resonable amount of time. These kinds of issues give people a very bad taste for Motorola /Lenovo products and force people to change vendors to try and avoid a repeat issue. 

Can anyone comment on the warrenty time frame for this product and the process required to place a claim? I am so frustrated. The only way I can use this phone is to sit next to a wall plug. This ispretty sad and ridiculous.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide...

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 14,197
Message 12 of 159

@Brainwonton wrote:

I have been having the exact same problem, ever since the last Android update 7.1.1 it's frustrating, and not getting any good answers or solutions. 

Hi Brainwonton

I understand how frustrating it may be but battery drain is common after updating your phone to the latest update as it requires more battery to successfully complete its update. It may take a few charging cycles before the battery settles after an update.We suggest customers observe their phone for days about this behaviour and see if there will be some improvement. Since you just updated your device to the latest version, I suggest doing clear cache partition and see if that works.

- Ella

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 14,195
Message 13 of 159

@ciaoMoto wrote:

Exact same problem on my phone. Shuts down at random battery level usually over 50%. Random battery level after plugging in the Moto-Charger. Battery drains to shutdown in less than 2h, sometimes less, with maybe a couple minutes of SOT. 

It's seven months old, has been to warranty repair twice (bluetooth broken -> new mainboard; display defect without physical damage to the device). 

Hi ciaoMoto

Have you tried the battery calibration? You may try charging your phone while in safe mode. Check it through Device Help > Fix > Hardware Tests > Battery > Passed/Failed. Reset with no restore and then repair if none these help. 

- Ella

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 14,194
Message 14 of 159

@Motodeadhead wrote:

Having the same issues as others on a phone that is only 14 months old. I have tried all the recommendations and still no luck. The phone charges to 100% but when you unplug it, it shuts off within seconds and shows the redline exclamation display as if the battery is dead. When you immediatley plug it in it shows battery levels at random levels and it allows you to turn it on. The phone works fine when plugged in,  but shuts off immediately if unplugged. 

There are a lot of posts on this issue with the moto Z and searches also show other products are having the same issue. I feel Motorola/Lenovo needs to accept and admit there is an issue and offer repair or replacement products. These devices are expensive and we all have invested money in a product we expect and desearve to have operate correctly for a resonable amount of time. These kinds of issues give people a very bad taste for Motorola /Lenovo products and force people to change vendors to try and avoid a repeat issue. 

Can anyone comment on the warrenty time frame for this product and the process required to place a claim? I am so frustrated. The only way I can use this phone is to sit next to a wall plug. This ispretty sad and ridiculous.

Hi Motodeadhead

I understand where you are coming from. Please try charging it in safe mode and check it through Device Help > Fix > Hardware Tests > Battery > Passed/Failed. Reset with no restore and then repair would be the last resort. 

If it so happens after an update, then it's normal. You can perform a clear cache partition and see if that works.

- Ella

Brainwonton
What's DOS?
Views: 14,191
Message 15 of 159

None of it worked. Had to send it off for repair. They had to replace the battery, fix some motherboard stuff... 

The phone is defective. Horrible for how much you charge for it. 

Streaks714
HDMI
Views: 13,884
Message 16 of 159

nemothemoho
What's DOS?
Views: 13,732
Message 17 of 159

Experiencing this problem and the phone isn't that old. Tried what was suggested. Didn't work. What a joke. Clearly many people have this problem, pay how much for the phone, and then have to pay to fix it. 

Streaks714
HDMI
Views: 13,721
Message 18 of 159

@nemothemoho wrote:

Experiencing this problem and the phone isn't that old. Tried what was suggested. Didn't work. What a joke. Clearly many people have this problem, pay how much for the phone, and then have to pay to fix it. 

I hear you my friend...you are not alone!! 

Go here...>  https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/Moto_Z/thread-id/2713/page/61

Check out post # 603

Streaks714
HDMI
Views: 13,720
Message 19 of 159

@Moto_Ella wrote:

@Motodeadhead wrote:

Hi Motodeadhead

I understand where you are coming from. Please try charging it in safe mode and check it through Device Help > Fix > Hardware Tests > Battery > Passed/Failed. Reset with no restore and then repair would be the last resort. 

If it so happens after an update, then it's normal. You can perform a clear cache partition and see if that works.

- Ella

How bout you just issue the proper fix and help out your consumers? 

ebriff
Paper Tape
Views: 13,685
Message 20 of 159

The response on this issue from Motorola/Lenovo has been disappointing at best and insulting at worst. I have jumped through every hurdle they have asked and still had a non-functional phone. I had to carry a portable power supply and cable for two months if I was going to be away from a wall. Then my car charger started to fail, presumably from such heavy use. The phone started dying faster and faster. The terribly long boot animation would drain about 20% of the battery, so I couldn't even get past the boot screen without it dying....WHILE PLUGGED IN. Considering how widespread the problem is, I would expect Moto/Lenovo to tell us they are working on a way to resolve the issue. Reconditioning the battery doesn't work for everyone. Booting in safe mode doesn't work for everyone. A factory reset doesn't work for everyone. I understand it is technology and it is sensitive and can go wrong at any time. Admit there is an issue with your product and tell us a fix is being worked on. Moto/Lenovo is still acting as if this issue can be resolved by jumping through hurdles 1, 2, and 3 and there are two major problems with this line of thinking: 1, these hurdles will not necessarily fix your phone and you may end up losing all your data in the process (in other words, they don't know what's wrong and YOU'RE the one grasping at straws doing THEIR work. Are they paying us to solve their technical problems? No.) and 2, they are taking no responsibility that the 7.1.1.1 update caused a problem with their product. I understand it is an unforseen problem and they couldn't have known this would happen, but it isn't an isolated incident where "a few" users are having this problem. It's affecting A LOT of customers and they just keep spitting out the same cookie cutter answers. Boot in safe mode.....I tried that. Okay....recondition your battery.....TRIED IT. I mean, we read through the forum and see that these 'fixes' aren't working for everyone and then they tell us to try THE SAME THINGS. Fixes that don't fix the problem are NOT FIXES. The worst part of all of this is Motorola's complete inability to admit that their phone is DEFECTIVE with the 7.1.1.1 update and offer to fix the problem. I was cabled to something, be it wall, car, or portable charger for a month.

The last straw was when I was in a pinch on my way to work. I had to stop to buy a jacket and my card was declined. I received a text, but my phone died as soon as I unlocked it, despite the fact that it had been charging in the car and should have been at/near 100%. I didn't have my portable charger because I was expecting to be in the car or at work. 20 minutes and a lot of frustration at the register/ATM later, I was able to plug my phone into the car charger and boot it up to find that the text was from my bank. They had erroneously frozen my debit card. If I had a functional phone, I could have told them that yes, the charges were me and they would have never frozen my card. I had to charge a $60 jacket to my credit card and I was 20 minutes late to work because of this phone.

I fixed the problem. I am the proud owner of a Pixel 2 and, while it has it's issues and quirks that I am learning about - the camera does not behave with LED lights for instance, at least I can touch it without begging for it to live just long enough to see who that text was from. I couldn't be happier. Motorola is losing customers hand over fist over this issue, and I would bet most people would be accomodating and understanding, if they would just treat their consumers with a little respect. Hello Moto? Bye Moto.

Top Kudoed Authors