Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Streaks714
HDMI
Views: 3,960
Message 21 of 159

Re: Moto Z Erratic Battery Discharge/Phone Shutting Off

Sucks doesn't it!!!..I was lucky enough to get a new Moto under warranty. It came with 7.0 and Iv'e been rejecting the update now for months. With the battery mod, I can go 4 to 5 days with out a charge. I am able to get another phone (3 per yr under my plan) so I may try the update thing again, but only after 8.0 hits.

They are beginning to drive their customers away and it seems they don't care.

Good luck with your new phone!!

ebriff
Paper Tape
Views: 3,955
Message 22 of 159

It really does. I've had Moto phones for so long and I was so happy with them, but I had a bad feeling when Lenovo bought them out. I bought a Lenovo laptop a few years ago and the network card didn't work properly the day that I unboxed it. I never could get an actual fix from Lenovo. Eventually that problem was resolved with an update from Microsoft. I miss my gestures, like the chop chop for the flashlight, but I'll get over it. I certainly was not prepared to buy a new phone 14 months after buying my Z and my wallet definitely hurts, but it had to be done. I wash my hands of it now. Thanks!
Geek2
Paper Tape
Views: 3,877
Message 23 of 159

I have also been a Moto fan since the first Moto X 2013 (which still works fine!) but my wife's Moto Z is the last Moto phone I will ever buy. After about 14 months, she also experienced the same rapid battery drain. I managed to unlock the bootloader and downgrade to 7.0 but the problem persisted. Now the phone only works when the incipio battery mod is permanently attached and even then, it will shut down randomly. My suspicion is that the internal battery is defective and unable to hold the charge, without the battery mod. Anyways, I have wasted enough time on it and boxed up the useless phone and got my wife a LG G6 and just get on with it.

Streaks714
HDMI
Views: 3,854
Message 24 of 159

@Geek2 wrote:

I have also been a Moto fan since the first Moto X 2013 (which still works fine!) but my wife's Moto Z is the last Moto phone I will ever buy. After about 14 months, she also experienced the same rapid battery drain. I managed to unlock the bootloader and downgrade to 7.0 but the problem persisted. Now the phone only works when the incipio battery mod is permanently attached and even then, it will shut down randomly. My suspicion is that the internal battery is defective and unable to hold the charge, without the battery mod. Anyways, I have wasted enough time on it and boxed up the useless phone and got my wife a LG G6 and just get on with it.

I know Geek..I've own Moto phones since they were in a "bag". Yup, I'm an old fart!

Believe what  we have here is a similar situation to the Apple mess.

Something within the 7.1.1 update causes damage to the internal battery.

Rolling back then to 7.0 would be to no avail. Which I even thought originally would help.

Nothing short of a new phone ( which is my case) or repair ( which some have had done) will fix the issue then.

Geek2
Paper Tape
Views: 3,828
Message 25 of 159

Yeah, for those out of warranty and no chance of getting a replacement or free repair, time to consider this an expensive lesson learned and move on to other brands. 

IMsureance
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,814
Message 26 of 159

I find it disturbing that this problem was marked as solved by Motorola and the solution provided is to send the phone in for repair/replacement. There are so many of us still struggling with these battery problems (see the other 60+ page thread) that are just barely outside of the warranty period and this is obviously a defect in the phone itself aka not a user created problem. Is anyone going to help us?

Hank87
What's DOS?
Views: 3,773
Message 27 of 159

Hi Morningstarr.

I am having the same problem, appart from a couple minor details, the same thing happened to me.

I originally thought I had damaged the battery by using the Incipio Power Pack Mod all the time (after an earlier update caused my battery to drain more quickly than before), but after reading your story and some others, I can see that it is something that happens to other people as well.

Can you tell me if your problem was fixed? What did you do, did you send it for repair?

I am outside of the guaranty period, and I live in Ecuador (no Motorola phones here, no Lenovo/Motorola repair shops), so if you did send it to repair, It would help me to know as much as you can tell me what they did to it.

Thank you for your help,

Henry.

dtott7
What's DOS?
Views: 3,669
Message 28 of 159

For the last 6-7 months I've been dealing with this issue as well. It was minor at first (would shut off around ~15%), and so I just dealt with it, and knew I had less battery life than normal. In the last month it's been getting worse, so I decided to do the factory reset. After doing the factory reset, it has gotten so bad that it will turn off at ~80% and not last unplugged for more than an hour.

I decided to give in, and turn it in for repair only to find out my warranty ran out less than 2 weeks ago. I was told I'd have to pay $150 to repair it. I understand my part to blame in this for not turning it in sooner, but I can't believe a somewhat common issue with this phone requires the consumer to pay for repairs. I've loved this phone, for the first 5 or so months it was the best phone I've ever owned, but I can't imagine paying $150 for a faulty battery.

I avoided buying Samsung because of their battery issues, and decided to stick with Motorola after being bought out by Lenovo. I even bought a Lenovo laptop after getting this phone because I liked it so much. Apparently this company is lacking in customer service even when it comes to faulty hardware issues on their end. I never though the day would come, but I think it's time I bite the bullet and switch over to iPhone when it comes to my next upgrade.

AB80
What's DOS?
Views: 3,647
Message 29 of 159

Has this issue  been resolved as yet? 

I will be writing tu the head if motorola Europe and US customer services as well as the relevant consumer authorities in the UK if it has not been!

This is what happens when you offshore your customer services abroad, they are ten times cheaper in labour cost, but  the quality  of their software released is ten times worse as well!

I should know as I had the unfortunate role of running  such awful teams, that were based in bangalore , with me based in London!

They are arrogant, lie and just never deliver quality,   in my own ss well as my London based colleagues experience!

Get your software bug fixed immediately now!

@lenovo executives, no point chasing profit on cheapest labour when cjestku you are  losing customers from your lack of solution finding, let alone lack of cudtinrr support! 

tenohfive
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,611
Message 30 of 159

I've recently started experiencing this issue. Phone thinks the battery is dead when it absolutely isn't (on some occasions at 80%) and won't start up again until placed on charge - where is immediately turns on, showing the correct level of charge. I basically can't go anywhere that I need to be contactable without taking either a battery pack and cable or a second phone currently.

I'm absolutely disgusted that Lenovo are wiping their hands of customers after 12 months with something that is clearly a common fault.
I'm 2 weeks inside a years ownership, so I'll be getting mine sent away ASAP. But that's just lucky. If it'd been 2 weeks later and I'd been getting shafted - having shelled out for a premium phone from a premium brand (and paid accordingly) I'd be infuriated.

Top Kudoed Authors