Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Streaks714
HDMI
Views: 10,895
Message 31 of 159

Re: Moto Z Erratic Battery Discharge/Phone Shutting Off

Here's my recent post in the "Big" discussion about this...the one with 69 pages!!!

Original phone I dropped. Paid 149.00 for replacement.

Now the fun starts. New phone all set up. Then comes the 7.1.1 and it's over.

Battery ( with Incipio Mod) goes from 4 + days to 1 under my usual usage.

Called Assurion and explained the issue. New phone ( at no charge) arrived the next day ( this was in October) with 7.0 installed.

Set the phone up as normal. Battery time is back to 4+ days.

The update notification appeared , I rejected it, and set it to remind me in 7 days. You can't stop it permanently.

It's case closed here in my mind  ( and most others on here) that something within the 7.1.1 update damages the battery and in some cases the mainboard as well.. Trying to "roll back" to 7.0 or waiting for Oreo will more than likely not fix the issue as the battery is damaged. Kinda like Apple's issue???

At this point, the word needs to get out about this on social media and tech sites. After that, maybe a class action lawsuit will become more feasible.

Northdog
Paper Tape
Views: 10,676
Message 32 of 159

I'm in the same boat as many of you are and am feeling very frustrated and let down by Motorola/Lenovo.

After purchasing a "flagship" phone and paying a premium but now being out of the warranty period my only recourse is to purchase another brand. I was loyal to Motorola and love the mods but the lack of true support is a real shame. My Moto Z has been acting up just about 3 weeks after the 1 year warrnaty expired. It would not show the correct battery life and after charging it all night on the factory provided charger I would turn it on and it would show 40% bateery and sometimes less,really wierd. Now it's shutting down at over 50% battery life left and will not recharge it just keeps vibrating every few mins and shows that it's charging but it hovers around 20% then dips back into 14% and then lower and keeps the loop going. I think it has something to do with the vibration function but that's a guess.

Also the fingerprint scanner stopped working for a few months and then just started working again a few days ago. Now this battery charging loop issue. Goodness it's crazy.

Does anybody out there have a fix, aside from getting a new phone or sending it in for a costly repair that may or may not solve this problem?

Streaks714
HDMI
Views: 10,671
Message 33 of 159

You can read my post above and see my comment on this. Based on that, I would say the answer to your question is . No! 

QuietlyCalm
Paper Tape
Views: 10,612
Message 34 of 159

This is ridiculous! An expensive phone that I can't even get 5 hours of little use out of the battery. It constantly shuts off at 40+% battery charge. Within moments of taking it off the charger, it stops immediately to 90% I'm being crippled my this. Afraid to even send my airplane boarding passes to it because it could shut down in the 3 hours between leaving home and the use at the airport. Thoughts? I'm frustrated and beyond disappointed

Shorthairsrus
Paper Tape
Views: 10,549
Message 35 of 159

My Moto z works fine with battery mod but as soon as internal battery takes over then it drains quick and shuts off off randomly.   If I replace the battery will it work or is it the mother board

Northdog
Paper Tape
Views: 10,545
Message 36 of 159

I'm in the same situation as Shorthairus. Mine seems to hold a charge for a full day or more when I use the incipio offgrid power pack 2200mah but if it's the phone on it's own battery it lasts maybe a few hours at best. I was online with motorola chat support Canada today and they said sorry it's out of warranty soI'm on my own dime for any repairs but they will pay shipping to get it to the Motorola authorized repair facility in Markham, Ontario,Canada. They cannot tell me what/if the fix will solve the issue either but did say the Moto Z will be getting the Oreo upgrade at some point. I'm not sure that this will solve anything as I think the motherboard may be damaged from the 7.1.1 upgrade.

This is totally unacceptable as Motorola/Lenovo is not taking any real resposibility for this know issue without a proper fix or at the minimum a replacement battery. To say I'm pissed off would be a gross understatement. A class action suit against the company is a good start or a big media campaign exposing how they treat loyal custoers. Definately "NOT" loyal any longer and I'll steer all of my friends,family,relatives and colleagues as far away from Motorola/Lenovo as possible. If anyboady has any ideas how to push back,I'm all ears.

Their mantra is "sorry it's out of warranty". That's all well and good but I'm certain that this started acting up right about 2-3 weeks after the warranty expired as I'm sure many others on this board have experienced?

Ox2
Punch Card
Views: 10,523
Message 37 of 159

Ditto on the erratic battery behavior since 7.1.1.  I have the unlocked version of the Moto Z, it's been a good phone until the latest update.  My phone was turned off, charging on the Moto charger, said it was at 100% charged.  Unplugged it, rebooted it, battery was now showing 4% charge.  I did the battery recalibration, now it's showing 81%.  Rebooted the phone, now it's at 11%.  I did the usual factory reset, battery recalibration, blah, blah, blah.  I can't tell if the battery is now bad, or it's just the phone's battery meter not reading the levels properly.  I guess it doesn't matter since the phone's so unreliable that it's almost unusable without being tethered to a charger.  This has been going on for several weeks now, very frustrating.

Streaks714
HDMI
Views: 10,515
Message 38 of 159

I will post this again for the benefit of those who are new here....This was one of my recent posts in the "Big" discussion about this...the one with 75 pages and growing......

Original phone I dropped. Paid 149.00 for replacement. That phone was running 7.0

Now the fun starts. New phone all set up. (This phone also running 7.0 )Then comes the 7.1.1 and it's over.

Battery ( with Incipio Mod) goes from 4 + days to 1 under my usual usage.

Called Assurion and explained the issue. New phone ( at no charge) arrived the next day ( this was in October) with 7.0 installed.

Set the phone up as normal. Battery time is back to 4+ days.

The update notification appeared , I rejected it, and set it to remind me in 7 days. You can't stop it permanently.

It's case closed here in my mind  ( and most others on here) that something within the 7.1.1 update damages the battery and in some cases the mainboard as well.. Trying to "roll back" to 7.0 or waiting for Oreo will more than likely not fix the issue as the battery is damaged. Kinda like Apple's issue???

At this point, the word needs to get out about this on social media and tech sites. After that, maybe a class action lawsuit will become more feasible.

Northdog
Paper Tape
Views: 10,487
Message 39 of 159

Hi Streaks714,

My understanding is that your latest phone is running 7.0 and you will not be upgrading to 7.1.1 due to the prbable damage that will happen to battery and/or main board as well?

I'm curious as to numbers of owners that have experienced this same problem and if it is only the Moto Z or all the Moto line that this has happened to.(ie Moto Z play and Moto Z2 play as well)

The real frustration is that the company won't/can't or doesn't know of the correct fix to end this issue for all future owners of this phone model.

From your experience it sounds like if I was to replace the battery but it's still running 7.1.1 it will probably occur again and again until Oreo possibly fixes the issue. Still no concrete date on that for Rogers Canada customers. I think the best course of action for me at this point is to wait for Oreo and then send it in for repairs.(at my expense of course)

How many people does it take to file a class action suit and how much traction/attention would it garner?

I'm not wanting to pass this problem on to another poor unsuspecting buyer after putting a new battery in it and unloading it on Craigslist or what have you. I am intereted in getting it fixed for good as I've got many of the mods and enjoy using them and the phone,when it was working correctly.

The Canadian authorized repair facility is called FutureTel and they are located in Markam,Ontario. Their telephone number is: 1-905-415-2388

Fax is: 1-905-415-2688

If I find a solution I'll post it here. Good luck to all. Motorola/Lenovo has certainly left many of us in a bad mood with no ongoing customer support whatsoever.

In the words of a famous American politician-"SAD!" 

Streaks714
HDMI
Views: 10,476
Message 40 of 159

@Northdogwrote:

Hi Streaks714,

My understanding is that your latest phone is running 7.0 and you will not be upgrading to 7.1.1 due to the prbable damage that will happen to battery and/or main board as well?

I'm curious as to numbers of owners that have experienced this same problem and if it is only the Moto Z or all the Moto line that this has happened to.(ie Moto Z play and Moto Z2 play as well)

The real frustration is that the company won't/can't or doesn't know of the correct fix to end this issue for all future owners of this phone model.

From your experience it sounds like if I was to replace the battery but it's still running 7.1.1 it will probably occur again and again until Oreo possibly fixes the issue. Still no concrete date on that for Rogers Canada customers. I think the best course of action for me at this point is to wait for Oreo and then send it in for repairs.(at my expense of course)

How many people does it take to file a class action suit and how much traction/attention would it garner?

I'm not wanting to pass this problem on to another poor unsuspecting buyer after putting a new battery in it and unloading it on Craigslist or what have you. I am intereted in getting it fixed for good as I've got many of the mods and enjoy using them and the phone,when it was working correctly.

The Canadian authorized repair facility is called FutureTel and they are located in Markam,Ontario. Their telephone number is: 1-905-415-2388

Fax is: 1-905-415-2688

If I find a solution I'll post it here. Good luck to all. Motorola/Lenovo has certainly left many of us in a bad mood with no ongoing customer support whatsoever.

In the words of a famous American politician-"SAD!" 

Hey Northdog,

First, I'm not sure if you are aware of this discussion ..   https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-Z/Moto-Z-extreme-battery-drain-after-7-1-1-update/m-p/4003180#M529...

That is the "Big One" now hitting 78 pages. It would probably be better to post there as we get a pretty steady post count daily.

There is strength in masses!! 

I will address several of your questions to the best of my knowledge and experience.

1) You asked about which phones are affected. 

It is my belief that it is the entire Moto line and even some Samsung phones (Possibly otheres??) that received the 7.1.1 update.

2) With regard to those who have sent out for replacement/repair that end up with 7.1.1.

Many here have had this done and they have either replaced with a "new and Improved" battery/mainboard.

This I cannot fully explain.

Some are in my situation. Phone has been returned running 7.0 and they didn't update to 7.1.1

I do have 1 phone left ( 3 replacements per 1 year term under my plan) and I may try the 7.1.1 again. That is if, and only if, they have a replacement available. It is my understanding that parts are sometimes on back order and also have learned sometimes not even available. This problem will more than likely be further exacerbated by the fact that the phone is or soon will be past it's "time"

3) You mentioned a class action. I have already contacted a very high profile law firm out of Baltimore MD.

I spoke with one of their attorneys for about an hour and sent him some very useful info to help aid them making in a possible case.

Although he was very sympathetic to our plight, they turned it down. 

I believe your words summed it up perfectly...Traction!! We simply don't have the "legs" with regard to this as those who filed ( and represent) against the Apple battery debacle.

Also, although one can file a class action alone, it is highly advisable to have proper representation.

Ya, it really sucks that Lenovo is not helping much if at all...Nothing like taking a bath on $700.00 + phone eh?

"SAD"...But it could be "great and stupendous" I mean aren't we all tired of all this winning!!

Good luck bud!!

Top Kudoed Authors