Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Message 1 of 6 (1,907 Views)

Moto Z - RAW shooting?

I know it's theoretically possible with Camera 2 API, but can anyone with a Moto Z confirm that RAW shooting works either with the stock Nougat camera or with a third party app - and if so, which one?

Moto Sr Moderator
Message 2 of 6 (1,889 Views)

Re: Moto Z - RAW shooting?

tenohfive wrote:

I know it's theoretically possible with Camera 2 API, but can anyone with a Moto Z confirm that RAW shooting works either with the stock Nougat camera or with a third party app - and if so, which one?

There is no native ability to shoot RAW using the Moto camera app. There are some free camera apps or trial versions that shoot RAW on the app store, but I have not tried them... 

I don't believe that any of the 3rd party apps will shoot RAW either though. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Fanfold Paper
Message 3 of 6 (1,856 Views)

Adobe lightroom mobile app (free) has a setting in which you can shoot in DNG rather than JPEG.  I believe that DNG is a version of RAW.  

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Message 4 of 6 (1,847 Views)

It is indeed a form of RAW, and I gather that LR Mobile is one of the apps that support capturing RAW images. I was just trying to find out if anyone had any first hand experience - many apps support RAW  where Camera2API is supported but just because it's enabled doesn't necessarily mean a given app will work with a given phone. Hence the request for first hand experience.
Someone on another forum has indicated that they've used a Moto Z to shoot RAW with a third party app (Camera Zoom FX I think) so it sounds like it's possible with at least one app (which is what I wanted.)

Moto Sr Moderator
Message 5 of 6 (1,839 Views)

I just installed open camera and it did shoot a raw image (dng) on my Moto Z. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Message 6 of 6 (1,815 Views)

Cool, thanks for confirming.
Top kudoed Authors