02-21-2018

US

12 Signins

152 Page Views

• Views: 152
  • Message 1 of 34

Moto Z Shutdown and Battery Issues

2018-02-23, 4:57 AM

I have had the first generation Moto Z for about over a year or so. In the first weeks of owning the phone, it worked excellently. When the 7.1.1 update was released, things were not working as they used to. Right when November of 2017 had passed, the phone began to act even weirder. First, the battery began to drain extremely quickly, and then the phone would begin to get very hot. Now in February of 2018, the phone is experiencing EXTREAM battery drain, and power issues alongside speed issues. If the phone was set in airplane mode around 6:30 in the morning (and not in any use at all throughout the day), the battery would drop to about 60 or so percent. If the phone was continuously in airplane mode throughout the day, the battery would still drop. If the phone was taken out of airplane mode, it would drop about 40 percent. By 3 o'clock, the phone is around 30 percent. On most days, the phone would immediately power off anywhere from 20 percent to 40 percent. Once this happens, the phone is not capable of powering back on until plugged into a charger, regardless the percentage of the battery even if it is above 20 percent. I am not a user who has power-hungry apps running constantly in the background all day. It is an annoying problem and I would like to find a solution without replacing the entire phone. Thank you.

Options

5996 Posts

12-04-2017

IN

1170 Signins

77328 Page Views

• Views: 77328
  • Message 2 of 34

Re: Moto Z Shutdown and Battery Issues

2018-02-23, 12:05 PM

wrote:

I have had the first generation Moto Z for about over a year or so. In the first weeks of owning the phone, it worked excellently. When the 7.1.1 update was released, things were not working as they used to. Right when November of 2017 had passed, the phone began to act even weirder. First, the battery began to drain extremely quickly, and then the phone would begin to get very hot. Now in February of 2018, the phone is experiencing EXTREAM battery drain, and power issues alongside speed issues. If the phone was set in airplane mode around 6:30 in the morning (and not in any use at all throughout the day), the battery would drop to about 60 or so percent. If the phone was continuously in airplane mode throughout the day, the battery would still drop. If the phone was taken out of airplane mode, it would drop about 40 percent. By 3 o'clock, the phone is around 30 percent. On most days, the phone would immediately power off anywhere from 20 percent to 40 percent. Once this happens, the phone is not capable of powering back on until plugged into a charger, regardless the percentage of the battery even if it is above 20 percent. I am not a user who has power-hungry apps running constantly in the background all day. It is an annoying problem and I would like to find a solution without replacing the entire phone. Thank you.

Sorry to hear about that, try to calibrate your battery first. Here are few tips to improve the battery life, please try and observe it for few days if that makes any difference? As per your description, it looks like it is due to aging battery and would need a battery replacement to resolve the same. But request you to please try the above steps, if the issues still persist please get in touch with service/repair.

Thanks,

-Swaraj

If you need a reference in updating your profile, please click this link. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943
Options

2 Posts

02-27-2018

US

3 Signins

37 Page Views

• Views: 37
  • Message 3 of 34

2018-02-27, 18:30 PM

I have had similar issues. It appears that when I have my Moto Z plugged in, all is well. If I have it unplugged, even if the battery is charged to 100%, any attempt to use the phone's camera or, to a lesser degree, to access the Internet from any app will cause the phone to shutdown. I have been operating the phone in airplane mode for reduced (but not carefree) shutdowns. No matter how many times I have tried the so-called battery calibration, it hasn't worked. Period. I will attach a screen shot on how my battery status displays in Android Settings.

Options

31 Posts

02-27-2018

GB

69 Signins

361 Page Views

• Views: 361
  • Message 4 of 34

2018-02-27, 22:56 PM

Its a very well known problem that Lenovo are very well aware of but refuse to help. They will waste hours of your time trying various so called fixes that do nothing but wipe all your data from your phone and leave you with a phone that will still not hold a charge. 

My £300 phone is useless after 18  months of use and I've wasted even more money buying Moto battery mods and a new charger all to no avail. 

I spent ages on online chat explaining all of this and was promised someone would e mail me back but they didn't even have the decency to do that.  

I have now given up and will never buy another Motorola or Lenovo product again and I will do all I can  will make sure all prospective customers are made aware of this companies attitude to previously loyal customers.

Options

31 Posts

02-27-2018

GB

69 Signins

361 Page Views

• Views: 361
  • Message 5 of 34

2018-02-27, 22:58 PM
I am setting up a Facebook page to publicise this problem , I will post a link on all of the threads in here about this problem once I have uploaded all my screenshots.
Options

5 Posts

02-21-2018

US

12 Signins

152 Page Views

• Message 6 of 34

2018-02-27, 23:26 PM

Here's a picture of one of the worst events of the battery literally a second after I unplugged the phone.

Options

5996 Posts

12-04-2017

IN

1170 Signins

77328 Page Views

• Views: 77328
  • Message 7 of 34

2018-02-28, 13:55 PM

wrote:

Here's a picture of one of the worst events of the battery literally a second after I unplugged the phone.

Thank you for sharing us the picture, have you tried the above steps and observed, does that makes any changes? If this did not help, please perform FDR without restoring apps, do not install any apps yet and observe it for few days and please let us know if there are any improvements on this. If not, repair/service/replacement is the next option.

Thanks,

-Swaraj

If you need a reference in updating your profile, please click this link. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943
Options

2 Posts

02-27-2018

US

3 Signins

37 Page Views

• Views: 37
  • Message 8 of 34

2018-02-28, 14:19 PM
Name of page?
Options

5 Posts

02-21-2018

US

12 Signins

152 Page Views

• Message 9 of 34

2018-02-28, 14:31 PM

Thanks @Moto_Swaraj for the help. I have tried everything I can to improve my battery but nothing send to be doing much help... I think that a replacement battery is what I will do. Thanks again!

Options

1 Posts

03-31-2018

RS

3 Signins

33 Page Views

• Views: 33
  • Message 10 of 34

2018-03-31, 8:29 AM

I also had shutting down problem so I replaced my Moto Z for Moto Z² Play and battery life is incredible. With Z I could bearly get through the day and sometimes phone would shut down even though I had like 20-30+ percent battery, and with Z² Play I can almost get two days without charging my phone. As I replaced my Moto Z twice (first time the problem was vibration) now that I got Z² Play everything is great so I would recommend that you should replace for this model too.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete