cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lilien
Core Memory
Views: 142
Message 1 of 3

Moto-Z (XT1650-03) - Supported Charging modes?

Hello and a happy new year!

I try not to use the original Motorola Turbo-Charger delivered with the phone, because I suspect that it will kill the  battery in the long run with its Turbo mode (USB-PD with 3 A / 5 V, 15 W) — the phone is on the second battery. I'm using a Samsung Charger now, which charges most of the time at 5V and 1.4 A (7 W), which I consider more safe, BUT I've also measured with a USB power-meter that sometimes the phone and charger switch to 9(!) V and 1.4 A, which is a mode I thought is not supported by the Moto-Z (xt1650). If I see this I always stop charging, because I fear to fry the phone with the 9 Volts.

Please, is it possible to get a definitive answer if it safe to charge the xt1650-03 with 9V / 1.4A?

Maybe there are still Motorola Engineers at hand that could answer?

Thanks and best regards

Lilien

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 109
Message 2 of 3

Re: Moto-Z (XT1650-03) - Supported Charging modes?

@Lilien wrote:

Hello and a happy new year!

I try not to use the original Motorola Turbo-Charger delivered with the phone, because I suspect that it will kill the  battery in the long run with its Turbo mode (USB-PD with 3 A / 5 V, 15 W) — the phone is on the second battery. I'm using a Samsung Charger now, which charges most of the time at 5V and 1.4 A (7 W), which I consider more safe, BUT I've also measured with a USB power-meter that sometimes the phone and charger switch to 9(!) V and 1.4 A, which is a mode I thought is not supported by the Moto-Z (xt1650). If I see this I always stop charging, because I fear to fry the phone with the 9 Volts.

Please, is it possible to get a definitive answer if it safe to charge the xt1650-03 with 9V / 1.4A?

Maybe there are still Motorola Engineers at hand that could answer?

Thanks and best regards

Lilien

I have been using Motorola Turbo chargers for years - no problem with batteries in any phones and some are over 2 years old. 

Also, the Turbo chargers for Z and "turbo" phones have been Qualcomm Quick Charge NOT USB-C PD. Your samsung charger must be of Qualcomm Quickcarge spec to be doing 9 volts at that amperage as USB-C Power Deliver only varies voltage when delivering 5A. 

My TurboPower 25 lists 5V, 9V, and 12V - as should all QuickCharge chargers, and they vary V and A based on communicating with CPU

Have you compared the specs on both the Samsung and Moto chargers? I bet your Moto charger also lists 3 voltage levels indicating it supports QC (my Z, and Z2 chargers do). When i have measured charging on my phones I see that both QC and PD are supported (newer phones) and PD charges faster, but the Moto chargers have run in QC mode, but I travel with PD chargers as i can use it with more devices. 

Motorola will only recommend charging with Moto branded chargers, but I have used other brands of travel chargers that meet both QC and PD specs. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Highlighted
KarlBeckman
802.11n
Views: 101
Message 3 of 3

Re: Moto-Z (XT1650-03) - Supported Charging modes?

Have no fear of using the Motorola Turbo charger with the battery in your Moto phone.  That's the only charger that maintains your Motorola cellphone warranty.  It is a Qualcomm Type QC system which will safely charge at up to 12 V, also at 9 V and the old legacy 5V level.  Many manufacturers now choose this method since either Qualcomm QC or Type 3 is built into the chipsets of most new phones.  That's why your Samsung charger works as a limited alternate to the official Motorola unit. 

The charger and battery are each equipped with a microprocessor with voltage, current, and temperature sensors.  They talk to each other to adjust energy flow for initial quick charging, then reduce both voltage and current levels as the battery fills and its temperature rises. 

And We're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Top Kudoed Authors