Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mmsown
Fanfold Paper
Views: 838
Message 1 of 9

Moto Z cases and bumpers

I recently purchased a Moto Z... not a Play, not a Droid, not a Force, just a Moto Z.

I liked the bumper that came with my phone, but I broke it within the first week.  I would like to buy another or maybe a case or wallet.

When I search online I see cases, bumpers, and wallets for all styles of Moto Z except mine.  

I tried asking on helpdesk chat and the person helping me just kept giving me strange answers like she was just cutting/pasting random responses.  

I would like to know the following:

Are the cases I see online for the Moto Z Droid or the Moto Z Play, etc going to fit my Moto Z?

What are the recommendations for buying a case if I am thinking of adding a mod (most likely a battery pack) in the near future?  Is a wallet better?

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 825
Message 2 of 9

Re: Moto Z cases and bumpers

Hello mmsown,

Thank you for your recent purchase. I hope you are enjoying your phone. We have created the Moto Folio, a super slim case that securely holds a credit card or ID while protecting your moto z from everyday bumps and scratches. You can check it here: https://www.motorola.com/us/products/moto-mods/moto-folio

Regards,
JM
Motorola Support

**Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

mmsown
Fanfold Paper
Views: 821
Message 3 of 9

thank you JM.

I am enjoying the phone.  No complaints at all so far... except not being able to get the chat support to answer my questions earlier.

This case looks nice, but do you mind answering these questions?

Are the cases I see online for the Moto Z Droid or the Moto Z Play, etc going to fit my Moto Z?

What are the recommendations for buying a case if I am thinking of adding a mod (most likely a battery pack) in the near future?  Is a wallet better?

mmsown
Fanfold Paper
Views: 755
Message 4 of 9

As follow up to anyone else wondering...

I purchased the wallet case recommended by JM. It is a nice case, but it WILL NOT work with any mods.  Additionally, while the wallet has a nice look and feel, it does not protect the edges of the phone at all.  From past experience, I know that dropping on an edge of your phone is the worst.  This wallet will not protect you if that happens.

I tried calling Motorola, asking here, and even opened a chat with support trying to find out the answers to my rather simple questions:

• Are the cases I see online for the Moto Z Droid or the Moto Z Play, etc going to fit my Moto Z?
  • What are the recommendations for buying a case if I am thinking of adding a mod (most likely a battery pack) in the near future?  Is a wallet better?

I have never gotten an answer.  I can now answer this portion myself:  Do not buy a wallet if you plan to add mods.  And do not buy the wallet recommended by JM if you need to protect your phone from drops.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 753
Message 5 of 9

@mmsown wrote:

As follow up to anyone else wondering...

I purchased the wallet case recommended by JM. It is a nice case, but it WILL NOT work with any mods.  Additionally, while the wallet has a nice look and feel, it does not protect the edges of the phone at all.  From past experience, I know that dropping on an edge of your phone is the worst.  This wallet will not protect you if that happens.

I tried calling Motorola, asking here, and even opened a chat with support trying to find out the answers to my rather simple questions:

• Are the cases I see online for the Moto Z Droid or the Moto Z Play, etc going to fit my Moto Z?
  • What are the recommendations for buying a case if I am thinking of adding a mod (most likely a battery pack) in the near future?  Is a wallet better?

I have never gotten an answer.  I can now answer this portion myself:  Do not buy a wallet if you plan to add mods.  And do not buy the wallet recommended by JM if you need to protect your phone from drops.

I use bumper cases that go around the phone and mods. I find them on Amazon. I have a rubber one for my Z Force Droid and a metal on for my Z2. I'm able to used the batter mod, camera and projector mods with these. I would also recommend a screen guard too. These screens can get scratches. The only mod that doesn't play well with any case so far is the 360 camera.

HTH

mmsown
Fanfold Paper
Views: 716
Message 6 of 9

Thank you Eagle328, this is helpful info.

In regard to bumper cases... I'm struggling to find one for a Moto Z.  All I see are for the Moto Z Droid or others.

Do you have any idea if those bumpers are compatible with the Moto Z?

I would love to get some kind of a comparison telling me which Moto Z phones are built the same so that the cases/bumpers would be compatible.

mmsown
Fanfold Paper
Views: 667
Message 7 of 9

In follow up to my futile attempt to find out if my Moto Z would be able to use cases/bumpers/etc that are made for the Z Droid or other models (because i could not find ANY that were advertised to fit my Moto Z except a wallet)...

I failed completely at getting an answer but it no longer matters.

After having my phone for three weeks, the battery completely drained last weekend, I put it on the charger when I got home and it never worked again.  I could not get it to boot up.  I tried 2 different chargers and two different sockets.  I tried resetting the phone.  Nothing.  Just dead.

Fortunately, I had purchased it from Amazon, and I was within the return window.  So they took it back.

I am now waiting for my credit so I can start shopping again.  I liked the Moto... but I did not like the service I received with my extremely simple question.  I would be afraid of needing service if I bought another and having the same problem with no one giving me a real response.

UNOCommProf
Paper Tape
Views: 595
Message 8 of 9

I have a follow-up question for this thread. Since the moto folio does not have sides on it, this leaves them exposed to damage (I have a z2 Play).  I am wondering the following:

If I have a bumper on my phone (for mod access, etc.), will a moto folio (since it is a mod, after all) fit onto the phone and function as intended?  It seems like this would be a perfect solution ... if it is possible.

TIA

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 590
Message 9 of 9

Hi UNOCommProf,

Thanks for posting in this thread. I don't think we have a bumper case that can fit the mod. Thanks for your feedback though.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Top Kudoed Authors