Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mnh73
Blue Screen Again
Views: 253
Message 1 of 3

Moto Z doesn't recognize USB connection

Has anyone else had problems with Moto Z and laptop USB connection?  I have unlocked model, and from day one, if I attached it to laptop, nothing happened. I tried differs variations and noticed when laptop was powered off, phone would show charging so I think it might be software related? Here are the things I've done:

Downloaded and installed windows MTP kit

Same Moto Device Manager (it just runs for a bit and says "no software available"

Manually installs Motoralla mobile driver v6.4.0

Installed moto lenovo asst program (which is impossibly to use if usb isnt working)   

This is very bizarre, the asst program does not recognizer my phone, instead it shows up as a A85 desktop so trying to connect via wifi is impossible

it finally showed up in device Code 28, driver not found (I have been getting code 10, device wont start for the past year)

If anyone has info/help...thanks

I have tried plenty of USB C cables, i have a six month old samsung laptop, ran sfc/scan, nothing came up

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 235
Message 2 of 3

Re: Moto Z doesn't recognize USB connection

@mnh73 wrote:

Has anyone else had problems with Moto Z and laptop USB connection?  I have unlocked model, and from day one, if I attached it to laptop, nothing happened. I tried differs variations and noticed when laptop was powered off, phone would show charging so I think it might be software related? Here are the things I've done:

Downloaded and installed windows MTP kit

Same Moto Device Manager (it just runs for a bit and says "no software available"

Manually installs Motoralla mobile driver v6.4.0

Installed moto lenovo asst program (which is impossibly to use if usb isnt working)   

This is very bizarre, the asst program does not recognizer my phone, instead it shows up as a A85 desktop so trying to connect via wifi is impossible

it finally showed up in device Code 28, driver not found (I have been getting code 10, device wont start for the past year)

If anyone has info/help...thanks

I have tried plenty of USB C cables, i have a six month old samsung laptop, ran sfc/scan, nothing came up

Mine has always connected. If it is a phone software an issue, a reset will put the phone back to stock. But it sounds like windows driver issues - which is what the erorr codes seem to indicate. I have had this on other devices, but no clear method of fixing it. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
mnh73
Blue Screen Again
Views: 180
Message 3 of 3

Re: Moto Z doesn't recognize USB connection

After trying three different USB-C cables, one actually worked.  So much wasted time and in the end, it just needed a cable that cost over ten dollars. 

Top Kudoed Authors