Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto Z Phones - Mod CapableMoto Z
All Forum Topics
Options

11 Posts

03-28-2018

Costa Rica

35 Signins

128 Page Views

• Views: 128
  • Message 1141 of 1473

Re: Moto Z - extreme battery drain after 7.1.1 update

2018-04-27, 18:32 PM

Can anyone remove this comment? That is NOT the solution. I'm not paying for shipping to America, (I don't live in the US) plus the repair, then shipping back to my country, to fix your stupid mistake. You know what the solution is? Actually pay a lot more than what the repair and shipping costs, to buy a different brand of phone. MOTOROLA NEVER AGAIN. 

Options

54 Posts

09-15-2017

Canada

116 Signins

589 Page Views

• Views: 589
  • Message 1142 of 1473

2018-04-27, 19:40 PM

I would not go so far as to say appreciation.  As I said initially, I believe the warranty for this issue aid be extended.  But this thread is insanely long and almost half of it is.... Motorola hurry up and help us.  But they've stated over and over that the only recourse is to send it in for repair.  Feels like so many are still waiting for another option.  There isn't one. Never will be. They've solved it . You need a new battery.  Doesn't matter why you do, whether it was 7.1.1 is the reason or not (clearly is something to do with the updating process as Oreo users seem to be getting hit harder). But the fix is the same... Send it in and get a new battery.

Now as I said, expecting them to pay for that repair is more than reasonable in my opinion.  And that's a fight I would back you on for sure.   But the resistance seems to be in sending it in for repairs in the first place.  And I'm sorry everyone but if you don't want to send it, well then the only other option is to tether your phone to the wall.  Yet this thread continues to grow with people asking... What are you going to do about it Moto?  It's just beating a dead horse now.

Options

64 Posts

03-27-2018

Mexico

90 Signins

450 Page Views

• Views: 450
  • Message 1143 of 1473

2018-04-27, 20:00 PM

wrote:

...I'm not paying for shipping to America... 

Well, Costa Rica is INSIDE America.

Dit en passant, I do live in México, and the problem is also present here, this is the link to a thread (in spanish) where practically we explain the problem, and it is exactly the same.

Options

23 Posts

01-24-2018

Romania

68 Signins

676 Page Views

• Views: 676
  • Message 1144 of 1473

2018-04-27, 20:06 PM

I totally agree with Stevkev.

I do not appreciate and even hate Motorola's approach on this matter. But what is going to happen if you repeatedly refuse the fact that you have to send your phone to service or replace the battery yourselves using some basic tools+youtube videos?

It is that simple!

I've been following this thread since the moment I realized something's up with my phone, which was 3-4 weeks after receiving the 7.1.1 update. Then I patiently followed the threads, different forums and did my best to apply the recommended solutions by Motorola and other users. Yet it changed nothing. My battery became more and more unstable as time passed by and the SoT I used to get dropped to 2h15min from 4h30 min. IN HALF!
Afterwards I patiently waited for Oreo update to see if it would solve my problem (Which I knew would not happen). As expected it did not solve anything, yet did not make it any worse either.

And I knew what I was going to do next. I'm actually lucky that my phone is still under warranty. After patiently trying to figure out what my phone has been through and whether I could solve it, I sent it to service 3 days ago. Hopefully I am going to receive a phone with a replaced battery or a new phone. For the one who wonder where I live: I am not in the US. I live in Romania and the phone was bought from a retailer here.

After being a loyal Motorola user for almost 4 years, I really did not expect such reactions and answers from Motorola's side. I am really disappointed with what we all are facing. 
Not just this, though: I really love my phone, the innovation it brings and the moto mods I own. They are useful and quality. I do love Turbopower Pack, JBL Soundboost or my Moto 360 camera.

If you are facing the same problem, tried anything possible to solve the issue and still nothing happened, please just send it to service (under warranty or not) or just suck it up and tether your phones to the wall. I do not think that Motorola is going to help us at this point.

Options

17 Posts

03-19-2018

United States of America

13 Signins

184 Page Views

• Views: 184
  • Message 1145 of 1473

2018-04-28, 10:28 AM

This is a solution for the battery drain.   I did this on 2 phones (Verizon Moto Z force Droid)  I bought on ebay that both drained in about 15 mins. 

The OTA upgrade is the cause. Do a Offline upgrade ! .

Update : only works for verizon phones ! 

"Sadly, there is only a tool for Verizon. I'd recommend having your device either repaired or replaced depending on where you purchased it from.  " MotorolaTom

her is the link on how to install the offline upgrade assistant on verizon : https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-116673/

When you use the Motorola Verizon upgrade assistent (download from verizon on  a laptop or desktop) , backup and delete to reset. use the option where you choose no google account  first. ( you can add this later to sync from your backup) . 

reset the entire phone via the Upgrade assistent and USB cable and install the latest version, even if its the same as the OTA version.

After its reset, shut it down.

recharge battery completely. 

disconnect usb charging cable . 

note : do not use the LONG USB C cable ! they don't charge !! use the short one that came with the phone. 

(if you are patient, turn on the phone, and set it to airplane mode) and let it drain until battery is discharged (in my case, this took about 48 hrs, showing me that the offline upgrade must have fixed the draining problem ) 

you can skip this phase if you are in a hurry, but I did it so I was sure the battery fully recycled properly. 

once completely discharged, recharge the phone. 

Go into recovery mode , and reset the cache of the phone. 

restart, and follow the regular setup procedure / wizard. choose to add google account later.  Switch off airplane mode. 

go into accounts settings , and add your google account manually. 

install all google play apps that the wizard recommends. 

switch on backup and sync, to re-synch your google settings. 

voila. 

your phone should work without draining. 

note : I had 2 similar phones, and one of them I skipped the battery charge/recharge cycle after the offline upgrade, and this phone did seem to drain a little faster than the other one, so if you want to  be sure, do the full battery discharge procedure . 

Also : its important to use a Short charging cable. the long ones (6 foot + ) do not charge properly. 

Also: turbo charge only works till battery reaches 70% , then it turns off turbocharge and charges normally. 

i also seem to think that charging the phone without turbocharge (using a lower amp charger) is probably better to reset the battery status during the above process. once you recycled the battery, turbocharger should be fine, just let it get to 100% if you can and have the time. 

I will repeat this process with the phone that still drains a bit faster (but it still takes over 24Hrs to discharge) , but I will install a new battery in that one. I think since I bought these second hand, that its possible one phone has a battery that holds less charge. 

I will post the outcome once I replaced the battery.  

Options

20 Posts

04-21-2018

Canada

55 Signins

284 Page Views

• Views: 284
  • Message 1146 of 1473

2018-04-28, 16:35 PM

Is this only for Verizon devices or will it work for all?

Options

17 Posts

03-19-2018

United States of America

13 Signins

184 Page Views

• Message 1147 of 1473

2018-04-28, 20:38 PM

well verizon installs a lot of crap on its phones, so Im pretty sure this is only for verizon, but I did not check the motorola website to see if they have a non-verizon version. I am pretty sure that the drain happens because the ota can not overwrite some parts of the upgrade and the offline version does. 

Maybe some expert could isolate what needs to be overwritten. 

It seems that the drain is common over a lot of phones ... so maybe its an issue that google should solve.. 

Options

17 Posts

03-19-2018

United States of America

13 Signins

184 Page Views

• Message 1148 of 1473

2018-04-28, 20:42 PM
yep here is what motorollatom replied in another post about sprint and t-mobile phones : Sadly, there is only a tool for Verizon. I'd recommend having your device either repaired or replaced depending on where you purchased it from.

-Tom
Options

20 Posts

04-21-2018

Canada

55 Signins

284 Page Views

• Views: 284
  • Message 1149 of 1473

2018-04-29, 12:50 PM

Both of my devices are out of warranty. Is there some official release from Lenovo on why these batteries are so poor?

So far all I am being told is to send them in for service blindly. As I have mentioned in earlier posts, one of my Moto Z's had its battery replaced less than 6 months ago. So they either lied about replacing it or put another crappy battery on it or the issue actually is software.

I hate being in the dark. I would never have expected this form a marquee company like Lenovo/Motorola and certainly not on an expensive flagship device. Horrible.

Options

54 Posts

03-29-2018

Bulgaria

97 Signins

771 Page Views

• Views: 771
  • Message 1150 of 1473

2018-04-30, 11:45 AM
mine became Crazy (OREO installed) - sometimes works with 0% battery with the MOD and some times offs from 98%. that's unacceptable. I bought a 5 times cheaper device now (Echo Horizon) - same features (no MODs of course), slightly worse display and camera, but all the rest OK. and I am happy, no troubles. Shame for Moto and not because of the problem - because of the way they are managing it. Boosh63, I share your disappointment.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms