Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto Z Phones - Mod CapableMoto Z
All Forum Topics
Options

28 Posts

12-03-2016

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

71 Signins

651 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 651
  • Message 1261 of 1473

Re: Moto Z - extreme battery drain after 7.1.1 update

2018-06-14, 4:26 AM

I got my Moto Z repaired by England by Anovo (the official repair agents for Motorola) 2 weeks ago. They have replaced the LG Chem GV30 battery. Since then I have been averaging 3 and a half to 4 hours SoT with the screen brightness set to about 75% and with ambient light sensor turned on. 

I also do not get the bizarre behaviour where the battery would report as 100%. Then I would turn it off and suddenly it was 60% or whatever. I am running an unrooted Z on Oreo 8.0 with the March security bulletin. 

I suggest everyone in warranty to contact Motorola for a repair (replacement of battery). Everyone else should also contact Motorola or their phone network or the retailer and threaten a visa chargeback. The other choice is to pay a phone shop to install a fresh battery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3R8Y8Sl_-8

Options

49 Posts

06-01-2018

United States of America

144 Signins

1263 Page Views

• Views: 1263
  • Message 1262 of 1473

2018-06-15, 0:52 AM

Make and/or receive maybe half a dozen calls a day, usually quite short. Send/receive about the same number of text messages. Rarely have data turned on as I'm home most if the time so use wifi. Look up stuff on the Internet, check Facebook and play a a couple of games if I'm bored.  Take the odd photo. Don't use it to watch videos or play music. Not the sort who'll sit in a coffee shop catching up on social media. Overnight it will use about 3%. So, as a light user the battery works just fine for me. 

Thanks for posting. My usage is about the same as yours and my battery only lasts about 16 hours WITH the Incipio battery mod installed! If I am out taking pictures, the battery runs out after I've taken maybe 20-30 pictures.

Options

15 Posts

03-30-2015

United States of America

27 Signins

188 Page Views

• Views: 188
  • Message 1263 of 1473

2018-06-21, 1:33 AM

Well, I got frustrated enough with the battery issue that I attempted to do the battery swap myself.  I watched a couple of Youtube videos and got the correct tools and battery through ebay ($15 and looks to be genuine Motorola GV30 battery).  The job was harder than it appeared and the videos didn't give adequate instruction or cautions for the proceedure and I damaged the LCD in the process.  Bummer.  So I'll have the expense of a new LCD in addition to the battery.  The total cost will be about $130, so still less than what Motorola charges to do the battery repair, but I hated to make that mistake.  Once I have the new screen, the repair should be straightforward and relatively easy to finish.

Here's what I learned in the process that might help someone else. 

1) I used a hair dryer instead of a heat gun, and it worked fine, but when it comes to lifting the screen, heat is your friend.  I probably didn't heat it enough, even though I followed the video advice of heating it until it was just too hot to touch.  The sides of the phone have little adhesive and are easier to separate, but the top and bottom have a lot of adhesive and I should have kept the heat on it longer to let it soften.  The more the heat, the softer the adhesive and the easier it is to separate the screen.  i've heard of people damaging the screen with too much heat...so it's a balancing act.

2) The LCD is very easy to damage.  If you flex the screen at all, or touch the LCD at all, you'll likely crack it.  To avoid this, (on the sides of the screen), only insert your plastic pick an 1/8 of an inch or you will contact the LCD and damage it.  The 3 sided plastic picks with the 1/8 inch recess is probably the best tool for the sides.  Or maybe a thin razor knife or spudger, if you can control the depth very carefully.  If you go further than an 1/8 inch, you'll break the LCD.  The top and bottom require more depth and a thin plastic or metal spudger is probably the best tool (and use extra heat).  At the bottom, if you go any deeper with your tool than the top of the fingerprint reader, you'll take a chance of cutting the very thin harness cable.  The top and bottom were the hard parts to separate because of all the adhesive, and once I started using more heat, the glue softened and my suction cup could begin to pull up the screen.  I raised the screen from the sides with a spudger, but I wish I'd used the technique where you remove the plastic panels in the back (over the top and bottom or the metal plate), so you can push up on the screen to raise it.  Look at youtube and you'll see the technique.  I think it's safer and less likely to break the LCD. 

Once you get the screen removed, the rest of the job is pretty simple.  I bought double sided 2mm red 3M-type adhesive tape to reseal the phone, but haven't tried it yet.  I saw comments about using the black foam-type adhesive tape instead...it's supposed to seal better.  I may get some to complete the job once my screen arrives. 

I'm pretty handy, and fix a lot of broken items around the house and car, but this was trickier than I expected and a lot more delicate than the videos indicated.  I'm amazed that the techs in the videos didn't do damage, but they must have known just what angle to hold the spudger to not chip the LCD.  I think I could do it better a second time, but if I knew how difficult it was going to be, I think I would have avoided the job.  Hope this helps others decide if they want to tackle the job.

Options

3 Posts

04-11-2018

United States of America

15 Signins

99 Page Views

• Views: 99
  • Message 1264 of 1473

2018-06-21, 2:56 AM

Thank you for posting this on the battery replacement. I have been considering doing it but will definitely give it some more thought. I figured at worst I'd be out the cost of the battery if it didn't work but I've read alot about the possible screen damage. I actually really had my hopes up of having the 8.0 update fix or even decrease the issue but so far no change at all. I just wish if anything they would even just acknowledge the issue instead of pretending it doesn't exist for thousands of users.

Options

6 Posts

05-28-2014

United States of America

11 Signins

78 Page Views

• Views: 78
  • Message 1265 of 1473

2018-06-21, 17:06 PM
Hi, simplemark1. Yes, thanks for the post. I also did the same thing, just a few days ago, so perhaps we were taking our phones apart at the same time. I usually use ifixit when taking phones apart, but their instructions for the Moto Z were considerably less detailed than usual (and nothing about heating up the adhesive), so I also YouTube'd it. It still looked relatively easy, but you just don't know how much heat you need and how hard to press until you do it...and crack the screen, and apparently mess up the LCD. I'm not sure it's going to be worth it to me to get a new LCD; I might just get a new phone.
Options

31 Posts

02-27-2018

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

69 Signins

361 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 361
  • Message 1266 of 1473

2018-06-21, 17:19 PM

Options

15 Posts

03-30-2015

United States of America

27 Signins

188 Page Views

• Views: 188
  • Message 1267 of 1473

2018-06-21, 23:14 PM

I'm considering the same thing.  Not sure it's worth putting $100 more into the phone. I'm pretty discouraged with Motorola and am considering getting an iphone 8+.  I've never been an iphone fanboy, but my girlfriend has had them for years and has had a much better user experience (imho) than I have with HTC, LG and now Motorola.  I'm torn between getting a cheap, used Moto z2 Force (to continue using my mods) or sell the mods and go with another company altogether.  The innane and useless comments from the customer service reps on this forum have really turned me off.  It's likely I'll move on to another company.

I'm going to hang onto the chasis of my Moto Z though, and as the price of the LCD comes down I may look into repairing it.

Options

4 Posts

06-24-2018

United States of America

20 Signins

224 Page Views

• Views: 224
  • Message 1268 of 1473

2018-06-24, 10:22 AM

I think I found the source of the problem.  The new update includes green dot notifications for each icon on the home screen.  After removing all of the icons from every screen on the main screens of the phone, the battery life dramatically improved.  I did not complete the Full Data Reset, and cleared out the cache on the applications.

So it would appear the notifications for all of the icons is draining the battery.

Options

4 Posts

06-24-2018

United States of America

20 Signins

224 Page Views

• Views: 224
  • Message 1269 of 1473

2018-06-24, 10:53 AM
I think I found the source of the problem. The new update includes green dot notifications for each icon on the home screen. After removing all of the icons from every screen on the main screens of the phone, the battery life dramatically improved. I did not complete the Full Data Reset, and cleared out the cache on the applications.

So it would appear the notifications for all of the icons is draining the battery.
Options

1 Posts

10-30-2017

India

2 Signins

37 Page Views

• Views: 37
  • Message 1270 of 1473

2018-06-26, 4:17 AM

One of the worst update given by kenovo Motorola. Totally useless update. During 7.1.1 my phone is running awsm with battery and apps..now too much hanging issue and battery is running almost 6 to 7 hours. What the *removed* they had done in update ??? Seriously i am not prefer this phone to anyone or any Motorola phn. Just 1 year old phn i have and now it is completely waste..guyz please give some suggestion for batty issue.. Motorola will not do anything for this issue.they are making only business. Not believing in customer satisfaction and giving proper service..shame on this brand

Edited: due to site rules violation -preferred language

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms