Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto Z Phones - Mod CapableMoto Z
All Forum Topics
Options

84 Posts

09-18-2017

Poland

206 Signins

888 Page Views

• Views: 888
  • Message 531 of 1473

Re: Moto Z - extreme battery drain after 7.1.1 update

2018-01-30, 9:10 AM

There is popular chinese portal: ali.......

Find battery with good feedback there

wait few weeks

watch tutorials on yt and diy

or

go to service shop and ask for exchanging battery to one you own

Tom
Options

1 Posts

04-04-2016

Brazil

5 Signins

80 Page Views

• Views: 80
  • Message 532 of 1473

2018-01-30, 14:51 PM
Só foi eu instalar a versão do Android 7.1.1 que a bateria do meu celular acabou, durava entre 6 e 8 horas de uso mediano. Na assitência fizeram sua troca.
Options

16 Posts

01-05-2018

Germany

68 Signins

419 Page Views

• Views: 419
  • Message 533 of 1473

2018-01-30, 14:56 PM

Andretexgo schrieb:
Só foi eu instalar a versão do Android 7.1.1 que a bateria do meu celular acabou, durava entre 6 e 8 horas de uso mediano. Na assitência fizeram sua troca.

This is an English speaking community and thread.

Options

30 Posts

01-30-2018

United States of America

48 Signins

473 Page Views

• Views: 473
  • Message 534 of 1473

2018-01-30, 15:37 PM

Moto Z Droid here and I've got the same issues. I'm out of warranty period and I'm wondering if ANY ONE who was out of warranty was able to get a replacement from Moto or Verizon? I don't have the optional Insurance and can't afford a new phone. Thank you for any help of a replacement you can provide!

Also, I tried this and it seems to be helping quite a bit: 

I went to Apps from the settings menu, selected show system apps from the menu, uninstalled Google Play Instant Apps and then Android pops up a notification that it is required so I reinstalled it and went inside that app, set the slider to off. I think this may be a fix until they patch 7.1.1 or update to Oreo.

Options

135 Posts

02-01-2017

United States of America

192 Signins

1991 Page Views

• Views: 1991
  • Message 535 of 1473

2018-01-30, 16:20 PM

wrote:

Moto Z Droid here and I've got the same issues. I'm out of warranty period and I'm wondering if ANY ONE who was out of warranty was able to get a replacement from Moto or Verizon? I don't have the optional Insurance and can't afford a new phone. Thank you for any help of a replacement you can provide!

Also, I tried this and it seems to be helping quite a bit: 

I went to Apps from the settings menu, selected show system apps from the menu, uninstalled Google Play Instant Apps and then Android pops up a notification that it is required so I reinstalled it and went inside that app, set the slider to off. I think this may be a fix until they patch 7.1.1 or update to Oreo.

Very sorry to hear about your phone. Looks like you are in the same "boat" as many others on here and worldwide.

With you being out of warranty and having no insurance, the chances are very likely that you are out of luck.

You could maybe try to plead your case to Lenovo of Verizon, but that may be a waste of time.

I'm glad that you have found something that is at least temporarily fending off the problem.

If you contact Lenovo and Verizon and they will not help you, you have only a few things that may help.

1) The easiest one would be to purchased a Moto Mod battery. I have the Incipio ( $40 and up). Although it sucks you are buying another product to circumvent the problem, at least you get more battery time.

2) Purchase another internal battery ( as Tom posted from a site >>> "ali....") with good reviews and install yourself ( yikes) or have an authorized repair center do it.

3) Reflash your phone back to 7.0. It can be done, but probably the hardest and there is a chance you could "brick "it.

Additionally, if the battery was damaged (as some on here have said) by a part of the 7.1.1 update, reflashing may not help.

I am in the process of contacting an attorney to see if a class action lawsuit is feasible. 

Will keep the forum posted on this. Until then, we are at the mercy of the powers at be.

Good luck!!

Options

30 Posts

01-30-2018

United States of America

48 Signins

473 Page Views

• Views: 473
  • Message 536 of 1473

2018-01-30, 17:04 PM

Thank you for the kind response and suggestions. I'm wondering if it's true that the battery is permanently damaged from the 7.1.1 problems because of two things:

1- I used Accubattery app and my phone is only charging to about 1100mAh (showing 100% full on battery info in Android) even though the design battery capacity is app 2600mAh.

2- When charging with the stock Turbo Charger that was included with my new phone it will charge to 100% and then dip to 99% then bank to 100% and then dip to 99%. It does this all night while it's plugged in which is effectively causing many more damaging battery cycles and therefore killing my batteries cell structure and capacity. 

Does any of this sound similar to what you are seeing?

Also I wanted to let you know that I have the Incipio Offgrid but it just makes the phone so heavy to lug around and I haven't found a bumper case that fits Moto Z Droid with Incipio Offgrid mod attached. Does your battery mod bring attached seem to help stop the rapid battery drain of the phone itself or the random power off at 19-50% battery still remaining?

Let me know if you have any suggestions or what success you have with the lawsuit. TTFN

Options

14 Posts

11-18-2015

United States of America

58 Signins

183 Page Views

• Views: 183
  • Message 537 of 1473

2018-01-30, 17:25 PM

I have the Moto battery Mod and have used it from when I bought the phone. It did not help other than I had a little more battery life than others without it. My phone would shut off at 30-40% battery and reboot randomly all day. It got to the point I had to have it hooked to the charger most of the day.

Options

135 Posts

02-01-2017

United States of America

192 Signins

1991 Page Views

• Message 538 of 1473

2018-01-30, 20:52 PM

wrote:

Thank you for the kind response and suggestions. I'm wondering if it's true that the battery is permanently damaged from the 7.1.1 problems because of two things:

1- I used Accubattery app and my phone is only charging to about 1100mAh (showing 100% full on battery info in Android) even though the design battery capacity is app 2600mAh.

2- When charging with the stock Turbo Charger that was included with my new phone it will charge to 100% and then dip to 99% then bank to 100% and then dip to 99%. It does this all night while it's plugged in which is effectively causing many more damaging battery cycles and therefore killing my batteries cell structure and capacity. 

Also I wanted to let you know that I have the Incipio Offgrid but it just makes the phone so heavy to lug around and I haven't found a bumper case that fits Moto Z Droid with Incipio Offgrid mod attached. Does your battery mod bring attached seem to help stop the rapid battery drain of the phone itself or the random power off at 19-50% battery still remaining?

Let me know if you have any suggestions or what success you have with the lawsuit. TTFN

Don't know why my reply is not in "Bold", but here goes.....

With regard to if there is battery damage caused by something in the 7.1.1 update, I am going on my personal experience and what I have read on the 50 + pages here and on the web. In some cases,  those under warranty who had to have phone repaired  had to have the mainboard replaced as well as the battery.

I have had 3 Moto Z's..Original was running 7.0 and I dropped it. Rec'd replacement through insurance. That cost me $149. That one worked great until I did the 7.1.1. , then it went to crap!! Lost not only battery time, but Bluetooth as well.

Called Asurian (insurance co) and explained the issue. They agreed with me and sent  me a new ( could have been a refurbished one) phone for free. That phone came with 7.0 and I have rejected the update now since Oct. and all is running smooth.

I don't know for sure if that came with the upgraded battery that is able to handle the update.

As I type, I am able to get another replacement for free if the update screws this one. ( 3 repalcements per year are permitted)

Still debating on pulling the update trigger.

Have never used the Accubattery App so I am not able to comment on the numbers you are getting, but you definitely have issues.

In my experience, the Incipio will give you a little more time, but as some have said on here ( vegaskaren as of late) the problem still exists.

I know the phone is bulky with the Incipio, but I  got used to it. I was able to get a bumper from the Verizon store for like 15 bucks that works witht he Mods. Not sure they are still available though.

I have contacted a law firm and I'm now awaiting a return call from one of their class action attorneys.

Options

135 Posts

02-01-2017

United States of America

192 Signins

1991 Page Views

• Message 539 of 1473

2018-01-30, 20:56 PM

wrote:

With regard to if there is battery damage caused by something in the 7.1.1 update, I am going on my personal experience and what I have read on the 50 + pages here and on the web. In some cases,  those under warranty who had to have phone repaired  had to have the mainboard replaced as well as the battery.

I have had 3 Moto Z's..Original was running 7.0 and I dropped it. Rec'd replacement through insurance. That cost me $149. That one worked great until I did the 7.1.1. , then it went to crap!! Lost not only battery time, but Bluetooth as well.

Called Asurian (insurance co) and explained the issue. They agreed with me and sent  me a new ( could have been a refurbished one) phone for free. That phone came with 7.0 and I have rejected the update now since Oct. and all is running smooth.

I don't know for sure if that came with the upgraded battery that is able to handle the update.

As I type, I am able to get another replacement for free if the update screws this one. ( 3 repalcements per year are permitted)

Have never used the Accubattery App so I am not able to comment on the numbers you are getting, but you definitely have issues.

In my experience, the Incipio will give you a little more time, but as some have said on here ( vegaskaren as of late) the problem still exists.

I know the phone is bulky with the Incipio, but I  got used to it. I was able to get a bumper from the Verizon store for like 15 bucks that works witht he Mods. Not sure they are still available though.

I have contacted a law firm and I'm now awaiting a return call from one of their class action attorneys.

Options

135 Posts

02-01-2017

United States of America

192 Signins

1991 Page Views

• Message 540 of 1473

2018-01-30, 21:20 PM

wrote:

With regard to if there is battery damage caused by something in the 7.1.1 update, I am going on my personal experience and what I have read on the 50 + pages here and on the web. In some cases, those under warranty who had to have phone repaired had to have the mainboard replaced as well as the battery.

Called Asurian (insurance co) and explained the issue. They agreed with me and sent me a new ( could have been a refurbished one) phone for free. That phone came with 7.0 and I have rejected the update now since Oct. and all is running smooth.

Have never used the Accubattery App so I am not able to comment on the numbers you are getting, but you definitely have issues.

I know the phone is bulky with the Incipio, but I got used to it. I was able to get a bumper from the Verizon store for like 15 bucks that works witht he Mods. Not sure they are still available though.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms