Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto Z Phones - Mod CapableMoto Z
All Forum Topics
Options

135 Posts

02-01-2017

United States of America

192 Signins

1991 Page Views

• Views: 1991
  • Message 541 of 1473

Re: Moto Z - extreme battery drain after 7.1.1 update

2018-01-30, 21:24 PM

wrote:

Thank you for the kind response and suggestions. I'm wondering if it's true that the battery is permanently damaged from the 7.1.1 problems because of two things:

1- I used Accubattery app and my phone is only charging to about 1100mAh (showing 100% full on battery info in Android) even though the design battery capacity is app 2600mAh.

2- When charging with the stock Turbo Charger that was included with my new phone it will charge to 100% and then dip to 99% then bank to 100% and then dip to 99%. It does this all night while it's plugged in which is effectively causing many more damaging battery cycles and therefore killing my batteries cell structure and capacity. 

Does any of this sound similar to what you are seeing?

Also I wanted to let you know that I have the Incipio Offgrid but it just makes the phone so heavy to lug around and I haven't found a bumper case that fits Moto Z Droid with Incipio Offgrid mod attached. Does your battery mod bring attached seem to help stop the rapid battery drain of the phone itself or the random power off at 19-50% battery still remaining?

Let me know if you have any suggestions or what success you have with the lawsuit. TTFN

With regard to if there is battery damage caused by something in the 7.1.1 update, I am going on my personal experience and what I have read on the 50 + pages here and on the web. In some cases, those under warranty who had to have phone repaired had to have the mainboard replaced as well as the battery.

I have had 3 Moto Z's..Original was running 7.0 and I dropped it. Rec'd replacement through insurance. That cost me $149. That one worked great until I did the 7.1.1. , then it went to crap!! Lost not only battery time, but Bluetooth as well.

Called Asurian (insurance co) and explained the issue. They agreed with me and sent me a new ( could have been a refurbished one) phone for free. That phone came with 7.0 and I have rejected the update now since Oct. and all is running smooth.

I don't know for sure if that came with the upgraded battery that is able to handle the update.

As I type, I am able to get another replacement for free if the update screws this one. ( 3 repalcements per year are permitted)

Still debating on pulling the update trigger.

Have never used the Accubattery App so I am not able to comment on the numbers you are getting, but you definitely have issues.

In my experience, the Incipio will give you a little more time, but as some have said on here ( vegaskaren as of late) the problem still exists.

I know the phone is bulky with the Incipio, but I got used to it. I was able to get a bumper from the Verizon store for like 15 bucks that works witht he Mods. Not sure they are still available though.

Options

135 Posts

02-01-2017

United States of America

192 Signins

1991 Page Views

• Message 542 of 1473

2018-01-30, 22:57 PM

Sorry about my post not being in "Bold".!! Not sure what happened there.

I contacted a law firm today. One of their class action attorneys is getting back to me  tomorrow.

Options

103 Posts

02-02-2014

United States of America

58 Signins

479 Page Views

• Views: 479
  • Message 543 of 1473

2018-01-30, 23:11 PM

I bought a battery mod too and the phone is fine with it on.  My phone doesn't shut off anymore since it's the same as having it plugged in.  As mentioned, though, I can't use my case (or even another mod), so it's not as protected (plus my case had a kickstand for viewing and of course protected it during falls).  I already cracked the glass extra cover, so I'm not happy.  I'll look to see if there's a bumper case to protect my phone better, though this will be even bulkier!

I might have to call Asurion and get a replacement.  It's just that I so hate having to set up a new phone.  It's so time consuming, so I only do it every couple of years.  It's really one of the things I loathe.  Plus I have some games that I'm at really high levels that I can't save because I'm not on Facebook, so I have to go back to square one.

Options

103 Posts

02-02-2014

United States of America

58 Signins

479 Page Views

• Message 544 of 1473

2018-01-30, 23:14 PM

Yes, we are all having that problem after installing 7.1.1.  Did exchanging your phone work?

Options

103 Posts

02-02-2014

United States of America

58 Signins

479 Page Views

• Message 545 of 1473

2018-01-30, 23:17 PM

What I'm still not sure about is the battery itself actually damaged or is the software just not reading it right?

I called several places that replace phone batteries, including a couple of major chains, and oddly nobody has or can get the battery for the Moto Z Play (the original, which I have, not the 2).  They all found it odd.  I was going to pay to get the battery replaced so I don't have to get a new phone from Asurion.  I wonder if Motorola found a defect in the battery and has pulled all of them.  Has anyone else been able to get a new battery installed?  I won't do it myself.  I don't want to brick the phone and I know it involves heating the phone to pry off adhesive.

Options

14 Posts

11-18-2015

United States of America

58 Signins

183 Page Views

• Views: 183
  • Message 546 of 1473

2018-01-30, 23:37 PM

I found a bumper case online that fits with the battery Mod on the phone. Not too bulky and protects the phone better. Incipio brand. 

Options

135 Posts

02-01-2017

United States of America

192 Signins

1991 Page Views

• Message 547 of 1473

2018-01-30, 23:38 PM

wrote:

What I'm still not sure about is the battery itself actually damaged or is the software just not reading it right?

I called several places that replace phone batteries, including a couple of major chains, and oddly nobody has or can get the battery for the Moto Z Play (the original, which I have, not the 2).  They all found it odd.  I was going to pay to get the battery replaced so I don't have to get a new phone from Asurion.  I wonder if Motorola found a defect in the battery and has pulled all of them.  Has anyone else been able to get a new battery installed?  I won't do it myself.  I don't want to brick the phone and I know it involves heating the phone to pry off adhesive.

I still firmly believe the update caused the battery drain and other issues...read my post above and you will see what happened to me and will answer some of your questions

There are many other discussions on this site that although smaller in replies, point to the same thing.

Big box stores will make more money selling you a new phone instead of trying to get into the repair biz.

They prey upon those who give up!!

And if Lenovo ( which bought out Motorola from Google) pulled defective batteries, they sure didn't tell us!

We must ban together and get the word out...Like the Apple Geeks did!!!

Options

135 Posts

02-01-2017

United States of America

192 Signins

1991 Page Views

• Message 548 of 1473

2018-01-30, 23:43 PM

wrote:

I found a bumper case online that fits with the battery Mod on the phone. Not too bulky and protects the phone better. Incipio brand. 

https://www.incipio.com/cases/smartphone-cases/motorola-smartphone-cases/moto-z-play-droid-cases/moto-z-play-droid-co-molded-bumper.html

A bit cheaper...

https://tinyurl.com/yantf55x

Options

103 Posts

02-02-2014

United States of America

58 Signins

479 Page Views

• Message 549 of 1473

2018-01-30, 23:58 PM
Incipio is out of stock, but thanks for the eBay link!
Options

135 Posts

02-01-2017

United States of America

192 Signins

1991 Page Views

• Message 550 of 1473

2018-01-31, 0:04 AM

Sorry, didn't see that small print. The verizon one I posted ( the Tiny url link) has 4 left and cheaper.

Jump on it!! Same one I have and 8 bucks less!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms