02-02-2018

US

10 Signins

52 Page Views

• Views: 52
  • Message 571 of 1473

Re: Moto Z - extreme battery drain after 7.1.1 update

2018-02-02, 14:27 PM

The phone is unusable now without a battery mode.  Just got off the train with 70% battery (no battery mode), walked 15 minutes to my job and phone shuts off.  when I try to power phone, it will not go on and it shows 3% battery.  Add battery pack and power phone on and battery at 20%, so unstable battery that shuts off phone, and % available goes down extremly fast.  Same thing happens whenever I take off the battery mode, if I leave the battery mode on the battery seems more stable.

This is a joke that this has not been fixed and I'm looking to get another phone ASAP.  Considering they want us to keep this phone and buy expensive moto mods is a joke; how can you use the moto mods when the battery drains so fast.  I am so glad I did not waste my money on any moto mods, and luckly received the battery mode free as a promotion.

I've never written a bad review about a phone, and I've had loss of battery in other phones before, but they were more like battery went from full day, to 3/4 of day, not full day to 20 to 30 minutes.  Time to try another phone.

Options

2 Posts

02-02-2018

BR

3 Signins

52 Page Views

• Message 572 of 1473

2018-02-02, 18:14 PM

1. Do you know the SW version of the 7.1.1 upgrade?

2. How did you go back to 7.0?

Options

135 Posts

02-01-2017

US

192 Signins

1991 Page Views

• Views: 1991
  • Message 573 of 1473

2018-02-02, 18:37 PM

wrote:

1. Do you know the SW version of the 7.1.1 upgrade?

2. How did you go back to 7.0?

To whom are you asking these questions?

Options

2 Posts

02-02-2018

BR

3 Signins

52 Page Views

• Message 574 of 1473

2018-02-02, 18:42 PM

The questions are addressed to the user that complained about the battery life on 7.1.1 and stated that by going back to 7.0 he had back his battery life

Options

35 Posts

08-31-2017

US

73 Signins

384 Page Views

• Views: 384
  • Message 575 of 1473

2018-02-05, 14:29 PM

Beware, Moto turbo power mod no longer prevents rebooting.  The past week my Moto z would reboot even with the Moto Mod attached. Do not get a battery mod with the expectation the will solve the problem. I'm going to sell this phone with mods to cut my losses. What a terrible experience. 

Options

135 Posts

02-01-2017

US

192 Signins

1991 Page Views

• Views: 1991
  • Message 576 of 1473

2018-02-05, 17:25 PM

wrote:

The questions are addressed to the user that complained about the battery life on 7.1.1 and stated that by going back to 7.0 he had back his battery life

When you reply to someone, hit the "Quote" option. That way the person you are asking the questions of will know you are directing your question to them. If you don't ,it will be lost in the shuffle.

I'm sure you have read here that the battery and other issues are caused by something contained within the 7.1.1 update.

My new phone ( under warranty and no charge) that was sent after I complained about the issue, has 7.0.

I am having no problems now. Flashing your phone back to 7.0 is a bit complicated and you could "brick" it.

If you "Google" that, you will see what I'm talking about. We here are all hoping that Lenovo solves this problem, but I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Options

3 Posts

02-05-2018

US

5 Signins

67 Page Views

• Views: 67
  • Message 577 of 1473

2018-02-05, 18:25 PM

I to am someone who is suffering from the poor battery performance after the November 7.1.1 update (RETLA, npns2611822212).  From one day to the next, my phone went from 2 day runtime with heavy usage of Waze, Blackbox dashcam, bluetooth music streaming) to less than one day with the same or less usage.  I now have to charge my phone multiple times through the day.  Before the update, I was able to drive while using Waze, Blackbox and bluetooth streaming and the USB charger in my truck was able to stay ahead of consumption (after a drive, my battery percent was higher than before I started the drive)... Now, after the update, the charger can't keep up with consumption.  That is my benchmark. 

Some of my co-workers and friends have asked me for phone recommendations and now I'm recommending against a Moto-anything.  What's most disappointing is the lack of response from Motorola on this issue.  I can understand a mistake made during an update and if Lenovo appeared and said "thanks for the feedback.  We understand and are working on the issue" then I'd be fine with that.  But the utter silence says "we don't care about you".

Options

35 Posts

08-31-2017

US

73 Signins

384 Page Views

• Views: 384
  • Message 578 of 1473

2018-02-05, 19:29 PM

If someone in Australia or new Zealand could comment about any post update experience regarding the battery life, that would be great. 

Options

25 Posts

01-03-2018

US

97 Signins

319 Page Views

• Views: 319
  • Message 579 of 1473

2018-02-05, 19:32 PM
Garnish....I totally agree. As a once loyal customer... I will NEVER buy anything from Motorola again after this!! If Motorola would have handled this differently, been up front about it, advised everyone of the problem and that working on a fix, I would have appreciated their honesty and continued to be a loyal customer. But how they have treated all of us makes me sick and they have lost me as a future customer for good.
Options

19 Posts

02-05-2018

US

30 Signins

243 Page Views

• Views: 243
  • Message 580 of 1473

2018-02-05, 23:05 PM

Wow, talk about "birds of a feather", I seem to be similar to so many of you:

1. long-time moto fan (on my fourth moto cell phone now)
  2. terrible battery drain since 7.1.1
  3. Android system and Andriod OS top too in battery drain list
  4. phone now turning off even when the battery is showing as much as 73% left (this behavior just started for me--in the middle of Super Bowl and I had 69% full then)

I couldn't take it any more and called Verizon (I have the droid version). Of course they wanted to ask the usual questions and pretend like they hadn't heard of it, but when pressed a little more, the first CSR did start to notice more and more entries in the Verizon CSR forums on this specific issue. I got bumped to L2 pretty quickly after that.

L2 admitted the steps they needed to take, as mandated by Moto, before they could offer up a replacement (and yes, they even admitted the replaced phone might very well arrive with 7.0 loaded instead of 7.1.1.)

So, I'm going to go through the steps and I'll update everyone who's following this group with my results. In the meantime, there are few key things worth noting:

1. I was charging my phone with the tumi battery mod and the mod was at 65% and since I have it operating in "efficiency mode", the phone reached 80% charged and things settled down a little bit, and at that point, I pulled my mod and looked at the battery display. It showed the disconnect in the graph like many have seen when the phone simply powers off. AND, it showed 9 seconds of battery left. And I had it in safe mode.
  2. It became really clear that at some point, you will reach a state where the battery becomes HIGHLY uncalibrated (as mine had) and I brought this up with the L2 tech.
  3. Apparently the only way Moto states you can re-calibrate the battery (without booting into factory and CQA, etc. etc.) is to hold in screen button until phone restarts, all while disconnected from any power charging source. Note, holding the button down for a few seconds WILL bring up the menu to power off or restart phone, but Moto says to ignore this and keep holding down the button until it just restarts. (talk about forcing a serious unclean restart!) Once the phone has restarted, THEN plug in OEM turbo charger and charge to 100%. At that point, the "full-charge" point will be calibrated and you then basically drain it until it powers off, hopefully at a realistic 1-2%, and not like what many of us are seeing at 60-75% charged.
  4. ALL THAT SAID, I found I didn't need to do #3. While in safe mode still, my 9 seconds become 1:45, and after a couple of hours, it's now showing 9 hours left. I haven't seen 9 hours of life on my phone since it took the 7.1.1 update.

So....I let the L2 tech know I really was really much more excited about sticking knitting needles in my eyes than doing a factory reset, she agreed that the L1 techs tend to suggest that since they know it's the classic "Hail Mary" of cell phone fixes, but L2 recommends safe mode first. Safe mode along with the battery re-calibration to be more precise. Once that's done, you'll know if you're doomed (meaning a FDR is in your horizon) or you have an action plan.

For me, it seems I may be able to escape the FDR and phone replacement if I can now find the APP[s] that are causing the issue--for me, safe mode is like Christmas where you actually get what you were asking Santa for... Now trust me, I'm not happy with "just" owning a Z that I must run in safe mode, but atleast it gives me something to go on. And while in safe mode, I CAN still use email and send/receive texts, so for me, I'm only missing blue tooth. (I never use wi-fi anyway, but that still works.) I can live with that for a day or two while I now start to whittle down my apps. 

I asked the rep, "So, what if I removed ALL the apps I installed, and the battery is still draining BIG TIME when out of safe mode?", to which she replied, "Well, the first thing we would do is remove any updates that came in on the original app, and if that didn't help, we do a FDR". Of course, if that doesn't work, they replace the phone. Moto won't replace them without the FDR being done.

Anyway, I know this is long-winded, but I'm hoping that if it helps others to trouble-shoot their issue, it's worth it. In short, reboot your phone by holding down the screen button until it restarts and once booted, plug in original turbo charger until full, then let it completely go down until out. On the restart, reboot into safe mode and then see if you have killer battery life. If so, then you're on the same path as I am, finding the problem app(s) that use "Android System" to do their dirty work and avoid any battery optimization.

Last item? Yes, I DID "reset battery optimization" before I started down this path. I can't say that allowed me to avoid the reset-charge-drain sequence recommended by Moto or not, but when I pulled my battery mod off the phone at 80%, it's now almost three hours later and I'm down 10%. I can live with that.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete