Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto Z Phones - Mod CapableMoto Z
All Forum Topics
Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

5841 Signins

132765 Page Views

• Views: 132765
  • Message 651 of 1473

Re: Moto Z - extreme battery drain after 7.1.1 update

2018-02-14, 21:51 PM

wrote:

Totally unhelpful and unprofessional response. Is there anybody else that can actually help us figure out why the battery is defective?

If the battery is defective - before or after warranty has expired - that is a hardware issue. The only solution is service.  

Why is the battery defective (if that is the case) it could be environmental conditions or manufacturing conditions. But to figure out why, would probably require a teardown of the battery for analysis. 

I am sorry you don't like the answers, but for service, you need to contact Motorola support. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

16 Posts

02-06-2018

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

19 Signins

149 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 149
  • Message 652 of 1473

2018-02-14, 22:09 PM

Worked fine for a day , gone back to resetting itself at 55% now , charge it up to 97%  , how do we know it's not the charger ?  Have you tried another ? 

Options

30 Posts

01-07-2017

United States of America

60 Signins

378 Page Views

• Views: 378
  • Message 653 of 1473

2018-02-14, 22:10 PM

I disagree,This got introduced after a software update.We dont think its a hardware issue.

During the past few days,i installed a security patch that got pushed out.After this update,My Phone shuts down abruptly even with the Battery mod . Battaery mod has been a life saver for me for some time.With the latest update,I believe,it screwed up my battery mod too.

Being an Android fan, I'm  now starting to respect Apple more because they have atleast acknowledged their issues.

Google and Moto should take responsibility of this issue and build lost trust.

Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

5841 Signins

132765 Page Views

• Views: 132765
  • Message 654 of 1473

2018-02-14, 22:20 PM

wrote:

I disagree,This got introduced after a software update.We dont think its a hardware issue.

During the past few days,i installed a security patch that got pushed out.After this update,My Phone shuts down abruptly even with the Battery mod . Battaery mod has been a life saver for me for some time.With the latest update,I believe,it screwed up my battery mod too.

Being an Android fan, I'm  now starting to respect Apple more because they have atleast acknowledged their issues.

Well right now we have many people that have different opinions of the problem. If it were software why is my Z and many others i know of not experiencing any issues? 

Apple would say the same thing though:

Reset, test before installing/restoring or adding apps, if problem persists get service. And after that if enough phones are serviced do have a problem then can be correlated, it will be addressed. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

54 Posts

09-15-2017

Canada

116 Signins

589 Page Views

• Views: 589
  • Message 655 of 1473

2018-02-14, 22:22 PM

The evidence suggests that it is a hardware issue that was caused by a software issue.  If a program tells the phone the battery is not charged when in fact it is, the charger will over charge the battery and now you have a hardware issue.   This is in no way saying that's what's happening here or even possible so please don't reply with comments about how that's not the problem. it's merely an example of how software could damage hardware.

The evidence suggest a scenario like this, where something in the update caused the charging circuit to stop functioning correctly, and thus damage the battery.  All cases where the phone's where sent for repair under warranty were corrected by a battery and sometimes a motherboard replacement.

Again it doesn't matter why the battery isn't working.  Understanding why won't fix it.  The solution is in a hardware repair for over 90% of the respondents

Options

135 Posts

02-01-2017

United States of America

192 Signins

1991 Page Views

• Views: 1991
  • Message 656 of 1473

2018-02-14, 22:42 PM

wrote:

wrote:

Well right now we have many people that have different opinions of the problem. If it were software why is my Z and many others i know of not experiencing any issues? 

Apple would say the same thing though:

Reset, test before installing/restoring or adding apps, if problem persists get service. And after that if enough phones are serviced do have a problem then can be correlated, it will be addressed. 

You insult our intelligence with your comments and same "stock" answers all the time!! Quit trying to put some kind of spin on the situation to defend yourselves.

The battery issue IS caused by something within the 7.1.1 update. My situation and others point right to it.

Your comment >>>>"Why is the battery defective (if that is the case) it could be environmental conditions or manufacturing conditions. But to figure out why, would probably require a teardown of the battery for analysis."

That is laughable!! . Lenovo's failure to properly implement the 7.1.1 to their phones has caused this issue!!

So, tear down the battery and figure it out. Millions of customers are counting on you!

Options

30 Posts

01-30-2018

United States of America

48 Signins

473 Page Views

• Views: 473
  • Message 657 of 1473

2018-02-14, 22:57 PM

Sadly I don't think these Moto Agents have any real ability or authority to do anything to help us so they just keep spamming the same response about recalibrate and FDR and then abandon you if that doesn't work. If you keep pestering then they go into full on denial mode and tell you to stop causing trouble. This is par for the course with Moto Forums. Been this way for years and they are still a waste of time.

Options

135 Posts

02-01-2017

United States of America

192 Signins

1991 Page Views

• Views: 1991
  • Message 658 of 1473

2018-02-14, 23:02 PM

I'm with ya brother!!! . Although the law firm I approached about a class action turned us down, we must remain vigilant.

Get the word out to everyone or anything you can. Reddit, Twitter, facebook, etc. Whatever we do can to push this debacle to the masses. We can do this. Please don't remain silent!!

If people can force Apple to admit and solve their problem, we can too!!

I belong to a site called Tech Republic..I'm thinking they would be very interested in hearing about this. Will reach out to them tomorrow.

Happy Valentines Day everyone!! Hitting the local watering hole with my beautiful wife of 31 yrs to chill a bit.

Options

9 Posts

12-29-2017

United States of America

26 Signins

120 Page Views

• Views: 120
  • Message 659 of 1473

2018-02-14, 23:37 PM
Thank you for sharing about the recent update. I am also totally dependent on the battery Mod. I'm not willing to update and risk losing more battery.
I have had Motorola phones since back to the Razr flip phone! I am SO disappointed in the lack of response or accountability from Motorola! As soon as I am able to pay off what I owe for TWO of these useless phones, I will be buying another brand.
Options

54 Posts

09-15-2017

Canada

116 Signins

589 Page Views

• Views: 589
  • Message 660 of 1473

2018-02-14, 23:42 PM

Comparing the situation with the Moto Z to the iPhone situation is very much "Apples" to oranges.  (Haha see what I did there)

The iPhone issue was first off, intentional, and second, affected every single iPhone sold since the iPhone 4s I believe was what's been stated.  That's hundreds of millions of units worldwide, almost 30% of the entire smart phone market, and growing as Apple has said straight out they have no intention of discontinuing the throttling of older units (going forward, they will be giving a toggle buried in the settings to turn this off for those that wish to)

I haven't looked at any sales figures but the market share of the Moto Z is a mere sliver of a fraction of the market.  (Motorola was hoping for 1% for this phone when they launched the Moto Z)  And then we look at a fraction of those Moto Z owners that are affected, I bet we wouldn't even hit 20,000 units worldwide.  Unfortunately unless we could find every single one of us on the planet affected to sign up, we are out of luck.  And then even if we did, it would cost us much more than a replacement phone to pursue it.

Another issue is this.  Unlike the iPhone, the Moto Z is one model of several that Motorola sells.  I haven't found anything closer to this coming of complaints with other models or variants (there are a few out there, yes, but nothing like the moto Z users) And they have no idea why this issue is happening in this model (with all too many representatives denying it's an issue in the first place)... So any suit would need to prove it was Motorola's fault in a court of law.  For the Apple case,  they came out and said "Yes, we are throttling your phone's performance the older they get.  Your welcome. Yes it's an easy fix just change the battery.  That's right, it can only be done through us and we charge such and such an amount to undo what we purposely did to your phone, simply by replacing your battery.  No we didn't tell you this would happen.. sorry about that.  But we can't understand why you care, you should all just be happy you have an iPhone"  (cough cough). The proof part was all done for them.

No I think our options remain limited.  Send it in under warranty.  For those out of warranty pay the $150 and get it repaired (there's no money for Motorola in that, it pays for the components, shipping, technician's fees, and the shop which is third party), or you can switch manufacturers.  The phone is two years old and quickly approaching end of life.  Many of you are coming up to renewals soon.   Don't get a Moto this time.  

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms