01-03-2018

US

97 Signins

319 Page Views

• Views: 319
  • Message 721 of 1473

Re: Moto Z - extreme battery drain after 7.1.1 update

2018-02-24, 3:08 AM

What I would like to see in the future are phones that are capable of easily downgrading back to the previous update.  If all phones could do this with a simple factory reset, then none of us would be in this mess.  A factory reset should be just that...reset your phone to how you originally received it... OS and all. 

One of my issues with all of this....updates are not optional..... the options given are Now or Later.  We are told that these updates improve out phones, and maybe for the most part they do, BUT when they do the opposite and ruin our phones, warranty or out of warranty, how is it fair that it is put in our laps to fix Their mess?  We only followed the protocol that They advised...that system updates improve our phones.  So it boggles my mind as to how and why these companies, like Motorola, get away with this unscrupulous behavior!

Options

135 Posts

02-01-2017

US

192 Signins

1991 Page Views

• Views: 1991
  • Message 722 of 1473

2018-02-24, 3:10 AM

Have fun grabbing at straws everyone.

Options

25 Posts

01-03-2018

US

97 Signins

319 Page Views

• Views: 319
  • Message 723 of 1473

2018-02-24, 3:14 AM
It depends...sometimes mine will shutdown immediately after I unplug it. Other times, it won't as long as I don't actually use it, like if I want to use the phone in a different room... I just unplug it to plug it in somewhere else. But even when my phone shuts down it says 100-98% charged.
Options

14 Posts

11-18-2015

US

58 Signins

183 Page Views

• Views: 183
  • Message 724 of 1473

2018-02-24, 3:23 AM

Before I had mine replaced I would charge it to 100% on both the phone and the mod and shut it off before I went to bed. When it turn it on in the morning the mod would be drained and the battery down to about 49% and would shut off when it went to 32%. Before it got that bad it would reboot itself multiple times a day. 

Options

15 Posts

02-19-2018

TR

30 Signins

411 Page Views

• Views: 411
  • Message 725 of 1473

2018-02-24, 6:39 AM

here is my test results before plug in:

charge:  %56

voltage:  3,554 V

it seems there is something wrong right?

Options

42 Posts

11-23-2010

US

41 Signins

334 Page Views

• Views: 334
  • Message 726 of 1473

2018-02-24, 14:47 PM

MotoDude7 - I think you're on the right track.  Looks like it's all about the phone not registering the battery voltage correctly.  Thanks for the info about "Device Help - Fix - Hardware Tests - Battery."  I didn't even know that the Device Help app was there! 

So it's likely a software issue.  I'm puzzled as to why Motorola/Lenovo hasn't corrected this problem.  Maybe they're bundling the fix into the Oreo update.  Or maybe there is some sort of battery controller issue that they're struggling to fix.  Unfortunately, I know almost nothing about this stuff.

Options

19 Posts

02-23-2018

US

15 Signins

231 Page Views

• Views: 231
  • Message 727 of 1473

2018-02-25, 3:46 AM

wrote:

here is my test results before plug in:

charge:  %56

voltage:  3,554 V

it seems there is something wrong right?

Your voltage does look a little low for the capacity that it is stating, but it could be correct if it was a fairly new phone (or one with modest use). The voltage is a very big part of the picture, but the really telling piece of data is rates of change with respect to discharge loads...

From what I have experienced, the capacity reading can be very erratic, but the battery itself would supply power for very taxing tasks (3D games) for a significantly long time (1 hr+).  If the battery itself is weak, a high-current draw would drop the voltage over time in a very significant manner, probably shutting off quite quickly.  The tough part is if the capacity calculation erroneously reports you have no capacity left, the phone will shut off!

The one easy test is to fully-charge the phone as best you can (turned-off, turned-on, or both), and after removing the charge cord, look at the voltage, it should be quite close to 4.2V, no matter how "bad" the battery is.  If the phone is stable for a few minutes, try a heavy load like a game, and watch the voltage every few minutes.  Also watch the capacity and see if there appears to be a disconnect between the rate the capacity is dropping and the reported voltage, if the capacity is dropping preciptitiously and the voltage is not, there's a big problem.

Options

25 Posts

04-27-2017

DE

77 Signins

580 Page Views

• Views: 580
  • Message 728 of 1473

2018-02-25, 13:05 PM

> The one easy test is to fully-charge the phone as best you can (turned-off, turned-on, or both), and after removing the charge cord, look

>  at the voltage, it should be quite close to 4.2V, no matter how "bad" the battery is. 

The Moto Z is provided with a high voltage Li battery. It charges up to >4.4, which could be part of the problem, because of high stress to the battery and it's not possible to disable Turbo-charging with the standard charger.

Your 4.2 V is misleading.

Options

19 Posts

02-23-2018

US

15 Signins

231 Page Views

• Views: 231
  • Message 729 of 1473

2018-02-25, 15:32 PM

If the terminal voltage at 100% is 4.4v, then just adjust your analysis correspondingly, it makes no inherent difference in the overall concept.

The Turbocharger is irrelevant; the battery system is designed for that charger, and you should not have battery failures (assuming that is at all the issue) because of it.

My tests have catregorically shown that there are huge problems with the capcity calculations, so actual batery issues seems a distant possibility in the majority of cases.

wrote:

> The one easy test is to fully-charge the phone as best you can (turned-off, turned-on, or both), and after removing the charge cord, look

>  at the voltage, it should be quite close to 4.2V, no matter how "bad" the battery is. 

The Moto Z is provided with a high voltage Li battery. It charges up to >4.4, which could be part of the problem, because of high stress to the battery and it's not possible to disable Turbo-charging with the standard charger.

Your 4.2 V is misleading.

Options

135 Posts

02-01-2017

US

192 Signins

1991 Page Views

• Views: 1991
  • Message 730 of 1473

2018-02-25, 16:25 PM

wrote:

MotoDude7 - I think you're on the right track.  Looks like it's all about the phone not registering the battery voltage correctly.  Thanks for the info about "Device Help - Fix - Hardware Tests - Battery."  I didn't even know that the Device Help app was there! 

So it's likely a software issue.  I'm puzzled as to why Motorola/Lenovo hasn't corrected this problem.  Maybe they're bundling the fix into the Oreo update.  Or maybe there is some sort of battery controller issue that they're struggling to fix.  Unfortunately, I know almost nothing about this stuff.

On the right track..to what?? Does it really matter at this point what is causing the problem???

You can "fiddle" with your phones all you want. The majority of people on here have tried resetting their phones, battery recalibration, clearing cache, etc, etc , etc. It most all cases( read through 72 pages like I did) these procedures did very little, if nothing.

We all know that it IS the 7.1.1 update( that would be the "software issue" you spoke of) that ruined the battery!!

I state my experience for those who don't feel like reading back)......

Bought new Moto Z...dropped it and rec'd new phone. .

Had new phone for months with no issue. Worked perfect...4 + days of battery life with Incipio Mod.

Did 7.1.1 update...phone then reduced to 1 day of battery life under same use pattern.

Called Asurion ( warranty co) explained problem . They areed it was not MY fault the phone became virtually unusable, 

and rec'd new phone the next day. (Mid October 2017)

This phone came with 7.0!!! I have rejected the 7.1.1 update ever since and my phone is as it was before the update. Back to 4 + days of battery life.

Here's what does work...Under warranty or not, You get a new phone or you get your phone repaired. (Which has meant a new battery and in some cases the mainboard as well.) A large number of those phones that were repaired or replaced, have come with the 7.1.1 update. Those seem for the most part to behave normally. Why?? Was the update corrected somehow? Is the new battery able to handle the update? This I can't tell you.

So with the aforementioned in mind, how could the Oreo update fix a defective battery. They ARE replacing the batteries!!

And to answer your question about why Moto/ Lenovo hasn't solved this....this post explains it all!!

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-Z/Moto-Z-extreme-battery-drain-after-7-1-1-update/m-p/3980946#M4999

Stock answers/solutions and trying to throw the blame somewhere else!! They DON:T care!!!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete