Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lchiu7
Fanfold Paper
Views: 695
Message 1391 of 1,432

Re: Moto Z - extreme battery drain after 7.1.1 update

Just to add my own experiences.  I updated recently to a Z2 and the battery life is great. With the same usage as the Z taking it off the charger at 6:15am, by 5pm with my normal mix of use of calls, surfing (mainly in Wifi) I still ahve 8 hours of battery life left. The Z might have died before then.

I did replace the Z battery with a new one a few months ago which seemed to help the issue but eventually the poor battery life returned.

Since the Z Force had was no longer my daily driver I tried an experiment. I factory reset the phone, restored it from a Google backup and went back to using the phone again, apart of course from calls since the SIM card was now in the Z2. That meant some early morning email checks and reading news when at home, listening the podcasts during my commute (downloaded of course) and the same web activity I would do normally.

By 5pm the phone was still showing up to 8 hours of battery life left.  Not sufficient data but I wonder if being on the cellular network all day was eating battery life since not its life was so much better.

I would go back to the Z but the Z2 is noticeable faster, has much better battery life, two cameras and only cost me $160 from Walmart (the Sprint version but I fixed that :-)  )

Laurence Chiu
Swampfox999
What's DOS?
Views: 590
Message 1392 of 1,432

My phone is basically unusable unless I am tethered to a power source. Just as I was paying the last installment the battery drains rapidly and the phone can't be trusted to last even an hour with a full charge.  Phone shuts off at 50% battery indication. If Motorola doesn't address this issue, this will be my first and last purchase of anything with the motorola or Lenovo brand.

Swampfox999
What's DOS?
Views: 589
Message 1393 of 1,432

This is not a solution. Motorola will lose a ton of customers with a response like that.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 585
Message 1394 of 1,432

@Swampfox999 wrote:

My phone is basically unusable unless I am tethered to a power source. Just as I was paying the last installment the battery drains rapidly and the phone can't be trusted to last even an hour with a full charge.  Phone shuts off at 50% battery indication. If Motorola doesn't address this issue, this will be my first and last purchase of anything with the motorola or Lenovo brand.

If you have tried a factory reset and it's still doing it. A repair or replacement is your only option. As you can read here no one from Motorola has stated more than repair or replacement. Both of those options have helped others. Wish there was a quick fix or more from Motorola on this. But sadly there isn't.

simplemark1
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 445
Message 1395 of 1,432

They lost me as a customer.  I went to a Samsung S9+.  Never again will I own a Moto phone due to the way they handled the Moto Z battery fiasco.  They dissed their high end flagship customer.  Not smart Motorola....

Izman15
What's DOS?
Views: 407
Message 1396 of 1,432

I've got the same problems everyone else is experiencing. Battery drains from full to 50% in 2-3 hours and dies after 50%.

IvI' tried factory reset and airplane mode and still can't get decent battery life. What does it cost to replace the battery? My phone is out of warranty and paid for, it's never been damaged or dropped. I'd like to keep it if I can fix the battery issues.

SheilaB27
Paper Tape
Views: 313
Message 1397 of 1,432

SheilaB27
Paper Tape
Views: 312
Message 1398 of 1,432

Officially “dead” even though it’s shows 75% charge and plugged in. **bleep** shame!!
Aurelp
Fanfold Paper
Views: 188
Message 1399 of 1,432

Just to folow up on my previous posting

After more than 1 month since I changed the battery, no issue with battery drain anymore and Accubatery still shows 100 health

I am posting this info only to keep other users informed in case they have intention to change battery; I am not able to commentthe rootcause for my first battery

failure

Aurelp
Fanfold Paper
Views: 187
Message 1400 of 1,432

Top Kudoed Authors